Elizabeth Vargas’ Shocking Confession: ‘I Am An Alcoholic’

Fri, January 24, 2014 6:54pm EDT by 15 Comments
Elizabeth Vargas Alcoholic
Courtesy of ABC

It’s been more than two months since Elizabeth Vargas checked herself into rehab for alcohol addiction, and the brave ’20/20′ anchor opened up about her struggle during an emotional ‘Good Morning America’ interview on Jan. 24. ‘I am an alcoholic,’ she confessed to ‘GMA’ co-anchor George Stephanopoulos.

Admitting you need help takes a lot of courage, so we’re very happy that ABC anchor Elizabeth Vargas, 51, took the steps needed to take control of her alcoholism. The talented journalist admitted in a new interview that while it took her “a long time” to realize she had a problem, she was finally able to cut through the excuses she had been making for herself and seek treatment. “I’m really proud of what I did,” Elizabeth told George Stephanopoulos on Good Morning America.

Elizabeth Vargas An ‘Alcoholic’ — ABC Anchor Confesses Her Alcohol Problem

Elizabeth began her GMA interview with some very powerful words: “I am. I am an alcoholic,” she told George.

“It took me a long time to admit that to myself. It took me a long time to admit it to my family, but I am,” she added bravely. “The amount of energy I expended keeping that secret and keeping this problem hidden from view was exhausting.”

Even though Elizabeth had done 20/20 specials about alcoholism in the past, she failed to realize that she herself suffered from the disease until it began to affect her work. She found herself constantly trying to make deals with herself about her drinking habits.

“I started thinking ‘Well, you know, I’ll only drink, you know, on weekends. I’ll only drink, you know, two glasses of wine a night. I won’t drink on nights before I have to get up and do ‘Good Morning America.’ But those deals never work.”

Elizabeth, who completed two stints in rehab in November, is ready to return to work, and she believes she’s prepared to cope with the day-to-day anxieties that drove her to drink.

“I dealt with that anxiety, and with the stress that the anxiety brought by starting to drink. And it slowly escalated and got worse and worse.”

But now she is a proud AA member, who knows that she doesn’t have to be “perfect” to be happy.

“I have a sponsor. I have great, great friends who I love and who love me. Alcohol for me is no longer an option,” she said firmly.

ABC Anchor Elizabeth Vargas Enters Rehab For Alcohol Addiction

When Elizabeth checked into rehab in November, she made a public statement thanking her fans, family, and network for their support.

“Like so many people, I am dealing with addiction,” she confirmed. “I realized I was becoming increasingly dependent on alcohol, and feel fortunate to have recognized it for the problem it was becoming. I am in treatment and am so thankful for the love and support of my family, friends and colleagues at ABC News. Like so many others, I will deal with this challenge one day at a time. If coming forward today gives one other person the courage to seek help, I’m grateful.”

We think Elizabeth is so brave for opening up about her alcoholism on GMA. Do you agree, HollywoodLifers? Let us know.

– Tierney McAfee

More Breaking News:

1. ‘Glee’: Which Fan Favorite Couple Could Be Facing A Split?
  2. John Edwards Moves On With Young Single Mom Danielle King
  3. Robert Pattinson Will Star In ‘The Lost City Of Z’

illbefree1

Posted at 1:03 PM on January 31, 2014

I commend Elizabeth Vargas for her bravery and resolve; though her choice to turn to AA is misguided and obviously un-researched or vetted. As a seasoned journalist, she would have been wise to really look into it seriously. The fact that she has chosen not to share the “disease-fallacy” with her children demonstrates that somewhere within her consciousness she KNOWS something is askew. I wish her well. SEE: Elizabeth Vargas Reveals Her Best Kept Secret but Does She Miss the Hidden Truth?

Claudio

Posted at 5:08 PM on January 25, 2014

Congratulations to Elizabeth for having the honesty and courgage to admit to herself that she is an alcoholic and for getting the help she needs and deserves. However, I cannot in good conscience congratulate her as having that same honesty and courage in publicly congratulating herself for belonging to a fellowship whose principles of anonymity are the very source that ensures its well-being and thereby the recovery of its members and their families. Any sponsor worth his or her salt would have advised her against shouting her membership from rooftops, lest we carry the wrong message. We check our titles and fame at the door when our desire to stop drinking becomes the primary purpose of our membership. I hope that she is not sponsoring herself. Nevertheless, welcome home Elizabeth.

marcsfriend (@marcsfriend1)

Posted at 1:03 PM on January 25, 2014

d­­u­­b­3­­0.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

marcsfriend (@marcsfriend1)

Posted at 1:02 PM on January 25, 2014

Just as Martha explained I am blown away that a single mom able to get paid $5308 in one month on the internet. go to this site >>>>>> d­­u­­b­3­­0.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

Nuper Kim

Posted at 10:03 AM on January 25, 2014

just as Martha explained I am blown away that a single mom able to get paid $5308 in one month on the internet. go to this site >>>>>> C­H­E­C­K­4­­4.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

addiction

Posted at 9:47 AM on January 25, 2014

It doesn’t matter what you drink, how much you drink or when you drink it, the magic question is “What happens to you when you drink?” Do things happen you didn’t want or plan? Did you hurt yourself or other” Did you compromise your own value system? Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? Then you have a problem. Denial is the first symptom of addiction once you are honest with yourself and get help you are ready to enter recovery. It is a life long process and relapse does not have to happen if you are vigilant about treating your disease. This country is addiction haven but no one ants to admit it. There are addictions you ingest, food alcohol and drugs. Then there are behavioral addictions, gambling, spending money, power, control, sex and fame. Any and all of them can and will bring you places you don’t want to go to. Untreated its jail or death, your choice!Noone wants an active alcoholic or addict. The streets are full of them.

steve

Posted at 8:28 AM on January 25, 2014

I spilled beer on my laptop and shirt laughing, two drinks of wine a night? She should move to France, nothing wrong with that.

Adrene

Posted at 7:30 AM on January 25, 2014

Great job Elizabeth! It’s hard enough to overcome addiction, having to do it in front of the world would put a lot of pressure on me. Way to go. Keep it up one day at a time!

Joyce A. Metzler (@JoyceAMz)

Posted at 2:15 AM on January 25, 2014

Julian . if you, thought Irene `s st0rry is really cool… on tuesday I got Maserati after having made $4760 this past 5 weeks an would you believe ten grand this past-month . no-doubt about it, this really is the most-financialy rewarding I’ve ever done . I started this three months/ago and immediately was earning at least $81 per hour . Read Full Report link is here …. W­­W­­W.­­M­­A­­X­­­­4­­7.­­C­­O­­M­­

Mister Baja

Posted at 11:55 PM on January 24, 2014

with these looks?
………CHEERS, honey!!

tubgbdqk21293

Posted at 10:28 PM on January 24, 2014

Unbelievable…… My friend Joan has just married to a handsome black man.
They met through ~ ♥ MixedSingle.Çom ♥ ~Here is most successful Interracial online dating site for mixed race singles share their life and love with friends online. It is a nice dạting service for Interracial singles to find their romantic soul mate.. You can meet (lawyers,busy professionals, CEO,benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….). If you are single , worthy a try.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Back pain

Posted at 9:59 PM on January 24, 2014

Lizzy looks liquored up in the photo

Grateful

Posted at 8:41 PM on January 24, 2014

being in the limelight does put her recovery in a far more scrutinizing place. Admiiting you have a problem and getting help is something to be valued and respected. Alcoholism is a fatal disease if untreated, just like cancer, heart disease and a lot of other chronic problems. Breaking through denial s the first and for some the hardest step. With the right attitude, the right people around her, faith in a higher power she will be ok one day at a time. It starts with an attitude of gratitude. You do not owe anyone an explanation of your disease, but your illingness to share your story will help someone else.

I have 33 yrs of recovery one day at a time. Thank you God and all those who helped me along the ay. Relapse is not necessary if you do what you should.

gentlemanbrown

Posted at 8:01 PM on January 24, 2014

“Brave” would be admitting you have an addiction problem in spite of the fact that there could be a real chance of losing your job or your family. WHILE IT IS ADMIRABLE THAT SHE IS GETTING THE HELP SHE NEEDS, her admission isn’t all that “brave.” Vargas will come out of this looking like a hero, ABC will support her recovery 100% or risk looking like heels, and the end result will be both Vargas and ABC will earn points in the public opinion. That isn’t “bravery.” And just because a famous person goes through the same trials and tribulations as us ordinary folk, they don’t deserve a parade; that’s “life,” and you don’t get a medal for it.

joshuarpearson (@joshuarpearson)

Posted at 7:39 PM on January 24, 2014

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hr on the computer. She has been out of work for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $18010 just working on the computer for a few hours. read this…………
W­W­W.D­u­b­3­0.C­­O­­M