So heartbreaking. Tyler Doohan, 8, died in a tragic fire at his grandpa’s Penfield, NY mobile home after he saved six of his sleeping relatives from the flames. The fearless boy had gone back into the blaze to rescue his wheelchair-bound uncle, who was an amputee.
Tyler Doohan, 8, died bravely after saving four adults and two children from his grandfather Louis Beach‘s mobile home fire in Penfield, NY on Jan. 20. When Tyler woke up and discovered the fire, he quickly woke up everyone in the home and led them to safety. He then turned back to help his grandpa and disabled uncle, but unfortunately all three were killed by the fire.
NY Boy Dies In Fire — 8-Year-Old Tyler Doohan Died After Saving 6 Relatives
Tyler was staying at his grandfather’s mobile home during a break from school for Martin Luther King Jr. day, and firefighters credit the heroic boy’s quick thinking and actions in saving the lives of six of his relatives — including two children, reported The Daily Mail.
The fourth grader helped resuce his family from the overcrowded mobile home that was ignited by an electrical fire, but was killed by the fire himself when he re-entered the home to help his uncle escape, knowing that the man’s amputated leg would prevent him from moving quickly.
The young boy’s body was found just feet away from his disabled uncle’s bed.
Tyler Doohan: Community Mourns Loss Of Heroic Fourth Grader
Tyler’s community mourns the loss of a selfless and caring boy. Firefighters had no doubt that Tyler’s quick actions in alerting his family to the fire helped six individuals escape with non-life threatening injuries.
“The kid has got more guts than I know of,” Tyler’s uncle Joseph Breyette said, reported The Daily Mail. “I mean to run back in there and go through what he went through to try to save his uncle, what can you say for the kid? He was a great kid.”
Our thoughts are with Tyler’s family and community at this difficult time.
– Kristine Hope Kowalski