Ann Wilson: NFL Fans Attack Her After Botched National Anthem

Mon, January 20, 2014 1:27pm EDT by 22 Comments

Ann Wilson sang the national anthem for the San Francisco 49ers-Seattle Seahawks NFC Championship game on Jan. 19. and the fan reaction on Twitter was less than kind!

Ann Wilson, lead singer of Heart, must have been having an off-day (and an off-key day) when she sang the national anthem for the San Francisco 49ers-Seattle Seahawks NFC Championship game on Jan. 19. The rendition was mediocre, to be kind, and the fan reaction on Twitter was absolutely vitriolic! See what the fans had to say.

Ann Wilson Botches National Anthem At NFC Championship Game

We can’t imagine how Ann, 63, must be feeling right now. Having grown up in Seattle, Ann is a proud Seahawks fan. She is also an incredibly talented singer and was the leader of the hugely successful girl group Heart for many, many years after joining in 1970. Therefore, she had all the ingredients for what should have been a moving rendition of the national anthem at the NFC Championship game on Jan. 19.

However, that didn’t end up panning out — her performance was fairly strong until she started to hit the high notes and her voice began to crack and go off-key. In no time, football fans tuning into the game started to pile onto Ann:

Ann Wilson’s ‘Star Spangled Banner’ Performance Dissed By Football Fans On Twitter

Yikes. Pretty uncalled-for, if you ask us! Also, let’s not forget that Ann just missed a few high notes — remember when Christina Aguilera performed at the 2011 Super Bowl and forgot some of the lyrics? There are worse crimes to be made here.

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Did you catch her performance? Do you think it deserved all of this hate? Let us know!

– Amanda Michelle Steiner

More Football News:

1. Derrick Coleman: Watch The Deaf NFL Star’s Inspiring Commercial
  2. Tom Brady, Cam Newton & More: Who Is The Sexiest Quarterback?
  3. Thomas Howard: Former NFL Player Killed In Car Crash At 30

robanthonydire

Posted at 2:02 PM on August 23, 2014

Umm…Ann was AMAZING as always. I’m so sick & tired of people obsessing about her weight. She has a voice like no other. Not to mention that the national anthem is VERY difficult to sing, especially outdoors with all that echo.

Cheryl Bickford

Posted at 2:53 PM on August 15, 2014

I THOUGHT ANN SOUNDED GREAT, AS USUAL. I FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH HER PERFORMANCE.

Darren Miller

Posted at 6:10 AM on April 3, 2014

I thought Ann was amazing. A very moving rendition of the national anthem. She maybe failed to hit ONE!! note, big deal the rest was just sensational. Rock on Ann, your the best!!!

Tony Greggs

Posted at 11:54 PM on January 23, 2014

Hmm. . .I wonder what all these people would be saying if she was a 49’er fan?

Cannot wait till Seattle gets shown up next weekend!!!!

borisgv

Posted at 12:26 PM on January 21, 2014

Ann Wilson is a hard rock/metal singer, so anyone expecting Celine Dion softness for the anthem is way off base. She did a great job but missed a note, so sue her. The people in the stadium thought she did a great job, and the videos I’ve seen of it weren’t nearly as bad as a few people are saying.

hollywoodsuperman

Posted at 4:49 AM on January 21, 2014

Ann Wilson is one of the Greatest female vocalista’s in music history—Period…
I couldn’t care less what a bunch of non-feeling, hateful losers, want to say on Twitter, or any other media.
A meer handful of performers today could ever Hope to hit notes like Ms. Wilson has, in mega hit’s such as: ‘Alone’,’Never Runaway’,’Crazy on You’,’Magic Man’,’Barracuda’,and ‘All I wanna do is make Love to You'(just to name a few)…
I, for one,was extremely impressed that, after all of these years, Ms. Wilson is Still Crankin’-It like she does!
I’ve always heard; “Sometimes there’s just no accounting for taste.” And, as far as I’m concerned—all of the hater’s being foul to Ann for her genuine performance at the game—just proves that old saying…
I’m willing to bet a great deal, that the one’s throwing-shade, can’t do a micro-fraction as good as she did,if they practiced for the next decade…
#HatersOfAnnMustBeToneDeafAndHateGreatMusicAsWell…
Hollywood—out.

Chip Johnston

Posted at 9:43 PM on January 20, 2014

Nothing wrong with her rendition. The only version that is better is the guitar solo done buy another famous Seattle, native, the late, great Jimi Hendrix. Too bad he’s no longer around to play it.

hollywoodsuperman

Posted at 4:52 AM on January 21, 2014

AMEN,Chip…AMEN on Everything you said here…
#TruthIfItsEverBeenSaid…
Hollywood—out.

borisgv

Posted at 12:27 PM on January 21, 2014

Amem Chip!

Kevin Smith

Posted at 8:48 PM on January 20, 2014

I would love to see anyone that said Ann sounded bad, do better! as a singer, let me inform you folks that the National Anthem IS to date, the hardest song to sing. Even at the end of the song, Ann used some of her trade mark cords, that made heart famous. Ann you only need to listen to your HEART! P.S The votes ARE IN, and you do a fine job!

denise swick

Posted at 7:10 PM on January 23, 2014

I I think she is the best, to those who say different are idiots

Patrick J. Seitz

Posted at 7:26 PM on January 20, 2014

She sounded fine. People just love to rip on National Anthem singers. Rock on, Anne.

Rich P

Posted at 7:10 PM on January 20, 2014

Granted she screwed it up, but how many players don’t know the correct protocol for the singing and/or playing of the National Anthem. Bellicheck and Brady never put their hands over their hearts. Maybe its because they don’t have a heart.

punkfunk13

Posted at 5:25 PM on January 20, 2014

I think she sounded fine, at the end the crowd over powers her so much that those off high notes you can barely hear.

valentinomonroe1

Posted at 3:35 PM on January 20, 2014

Calm down she was fine better than Christina Aguilera and Ann Wilson did not even mess up.Anyhow celebs should stick to how the song is meant to be not be trying to hit all those high notes or start extending it.

Aletta james

Posted at 2:55 PM on January 20, 2014

I’ve got my FIRST check total of $2175 for one week, pretty cool. working from home saves income in several ways.I love that. I’ve recently started taking the steps to build my freelance Job career so that I can work from home. here is i started>>> F­B­3­­9.C­O­M

victoriamagnew

Posted at 2:39 PM on January 20, 2014

my neighbor’s step-sister makes $86/hr on the computer. She has been out of a job for 8 months but last month her check was $15202 just working on the computer for a few hours.

view it now…….. jobs25.ℭOM

Mel Rose

Posted at 1:46 PM on January 20, 2014

I am a bit sad because I am the 5th generation granddaughter of Francis Scott Key and my great great great great grandfather was turning over in his grave last night. One thing that really bugs me is that song is meant to be sung in its original score. Everyone who tries to add their higher and lower and twang just butchers the song. Leave it alone and sing it correctly don’t mess with perfection ok!!!!!!

Junpei

Posted at 4:18 PM on January 20, 2014

I’m sure, considering the music was written 90 years after he died.

Mel Rose

Posted at 9:28 PM on January 20, 2014

JUnpei shut up. If you read my post correctly it said sing it in the original score. No ups and downs no adding words no adding musical notes just the original song. No where did I say that he wrote the song because the original star spangled banner was pages longer than the song and the words were written as a poem. I have the key family tree book with the original words and also have been a guest in the Smithsonian to celebrate his words and Old Glory. I would bet to say that my GGGGGrandfather was happy with how his words were written into that beautiful song, but every time someone sings it they butcher it. Anyway your an anomaly to me Im proud of my heritage and my family. I never said Ann Wilson sung it bad she did fine until the end. People have done way worse than she did. I think you were trying to bait me and guess what you didn’t ignorance is something that I pay no attention to. Good day.

Northwesterner

Posted at 6:23 PM on January 20, 2014

News flash: Others have done worse than her, not to mention Beyonce’s self-serving “jazzy” rendition a few Super Bowls ago, and Alicia Keys putting everyone to sleep last year with her beyond-slow version. Anne Wilson is 63 years old, and everyone knows that the voice deteriorates with age. Geez, give her a break and get a life.

borisgv

Posted at 12:30 PM on January 21, 2014

I thought she did fine for a 63 year old or a 23 year old. Her voice hasn’t changed much over the years as she’s aged, and she’s been and continues to be the best female rock vocalist of all time. Age had nothing to do with her performance.