Harry Connick Jr. Is The Perfect Addition To ‘American Idol’ Season 13

Thu, January 16, 2014 10:20am EST by 16 Comments
Harry Connick Jr. American Idol
Courtesy of Fox

Jay

Posted at 6:27 PM on March 20, 2014

Mr. Connick tends to flaunt his superior “musicality” or what he considers it to be in too strident and technical language at times. I recognize him as a very talented singer/entertainer, but he needs to temper his vast experience with a bit more down-to-earth”iness” in some of his responses that for me are just way too over the top and non-productive for these young aspiring artists, many of which have never performed before live audiences anywhere near the scope of this program.

Susan Sarel

Posted at 7:58 AM on March 6, 2014

Although I think Harry Connick is a good judge. He is too critical. He is not auditioning for a member of his band, but amateurs and should be a little more senstive. He is good as a music – because he knows music well – critic. Jennifer Lopez NO NO NO. Keith Urban I think is the best one, because he also knows some music (plays guitar well) and has sensitivity. So my vote is Keith.

Keith Kemper (@dj2bklyn)

Posted at 9:19 PM on February 12, 2014

I totally Disagree

Bob

Posted at 11:05 AM on February 8, 2014

Harry Connick Jr. is fantastic! He brings witty, honest, and sharp to the point critic to AI hopefuls. Harry is a great addition to AI and arguably the best AI judge since Simon Cowell!

Heather

Posted at 8:45 AM on January 18, 2014

I’ve loved Harry for years and so glad that another generation is able to appreciate him now, too. I have such respect for his career, incredible, musical talent, and ability to not take himself too seriously. He seems grounded, a family guy, and good role model for kids. And he cracks me up! I could listen to him sing and watch him play a dozen instruments and perform all day. Oh, and a good actor, too? What can’t he do? Hope Floats is one of my favorite chick flicks. :-) I love, love, love this guy! Please let this be the longest season of American Idol, bring him back, or send me tickets to his next concert in Florida, please, before I go into withdrawl when this season ends.

Selena

Posted at 7:43 AM on January 18, 2014

I think that the best judge that they have is Jennifer Lopez.
she exactly knows what they are looking for and knows very much about music as she is a great singer . she knows what she has to do in each part of the show.
keith is awesome too.
but harry . maybe he doesn’t know what he have to do yet . he thinks that the show will end after this audition , so he is trying to find singers . but its not the purpose of AI in this part of it . judges have to choose people that can be a singer . kids are here to learn and grow . thats why the show have judges and mentor , to teach them how to sing and keep them in the right way . judges are looking for people that have enough talent for being a singer . thats what jennifer and then keith are doing.
you can see that jennifer says to some people : “i want to give you a chance” . but harry says : “you are not a good singer” !!!!!. they don’t have to be singers harry !
Harry its a big honor to sit beside of JLO . so enjoy of that and try to learn about music and judgment . i know that you are a good musician but it seems academic not professionally like JLO and keith.
but harry is a sweet man and i enjoy when he talks between auditions . he is so joking man.
But at the End , No One Can Be Queen JLO ♥

Eleanor Rigby

Posted at 11:58 AM on January 18, 2014

Pardon me, Your comment made me lmao! You obviously don’t know anything about music nor the person you are criticizing. You also have it backwards, JLo should be honored to sit next to a New Orleans legend! Harry has been in music and entertainment far longer than BOTH Keith Urban AND her! He played publically at five, recorded his first album at 10, recorded 30 albums, acted in 22 movies, on television, sang and danced on Broadway, and attended hunter college of music. Let’s also not forget he also has a us patent with a digital sheet music a decade a head of its time. I have personally see him play, drums, trumpet, guitar, and of course piano. So, it is Jennifer that has very little experience since she seems to thought she could sing after playing Selena, a part which she wasn’t even allowed to sing in the movie (per the quintanilla family). She aught to have stuck to dancing because that is what she actually has talent doing,

Vicky

Posted at 1:32 PM on January 18, 2014

I totally agree! Mr. Connick is such an incredible talent and has been in the business for a long time! Great well rounded person too!

janis

Posted at 2:58 AM on January 18, 2014

Now i have a better good reason to watch American Idol, …thanks to Harry and JLo + KUrban, the world is a better place again!!!

Cherryl Zollars

Posted at 7:56 PM on January 17, 2014

I was never much into AI and never watched it on a regular basis. What am I saying?? I’ve only watched it 2 or 3 times and had to change channels shortly after the show started. Last night was an entirely different story. I was sad when it was over. The panel as a whole is great together, but there’s just something about Harry Connick, Jr. that you can’t help but love! You can’t get past the fact that he’s drop dead gorgeous! but he knows his craft and will tell the contestants what they need to know and not be snarky about it. I think he could slap you in the face and make you love it! AI made an excellent choice in choosing Harry as a judge. This just may bring AI back where it used to be!! I WILL be watching this year thanks to Harry Connick, Jr.!!

Joanne Kelley

Posted at 7:06 PM on January 17, 2014

Harry is THE best thing that could happen to Idol…..and I’ve watched it for a number of years. The panel has chemistry, various levels of musical expertise that balances the 3 out, and the judges are fair to each contestant. Harry’s humor makes the show shine and allows the other judges to “keep it light” for themselves (this is work guys) and also for those singing. Looking forward to each new week.

mark rush

Posted at 3:45 PM on January 17, 2014

I voted no, that Harry is not a good judge. And here is why.he doesn’t understand what a first edition is.he’s taking the first edition as singing for their lives.the first audition is to see if they have any talent at all, if they do send them through see if they can make it in the competition is there a joke I’m off to stage. If they have some talent see if you can maybe coach them a littlebut just a little.I’m not saying you should hold your hand through the competition.I’m just saying you might be surprised what they come up with next by the way Harry sees itwill never know. And he’s also very influential on the other judges. Notice: if he votes first,and those snow its a good its a good chance the other judges will follow suit.if J Lo or Keith notes first and second then Harry well go ahead and say your welcome to Hollywood. I love Harry Connick Jr as a person. At bat as a judge. Hey Pat out of hell.TiVo didn’t know for Caitlin Johnson, call your best Goodwin my point exactly. I got so excited over for an Oakley, now I like Brianna Oakley but I will bet you 10 to 1 odds she won’t make it in the top 3. and splitting up the sisters Selena and Sierra. Bad mistake both girls are good enough to go through he could have helped each other.please pardon my spelling and extra words.one last thing, how on earth did you guys put through the guy with the pink spikes? That one really surprise me. Anyway, I will always watch the show Hollys have always will. god bless you all. SHADY.

CAROL PEPPE

Posted at 4:58 PM on January 17, 2014

I VOTED YES. HARRY IS THE ONE REASON I STARTED TO WATCH THE SHOW . I NEVER SAW THE SHOW BEFORE BECAUSE SIMON WAS NASTY. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE SHOW THE JUDGES ARE ALL GREAT. WELCOME HARRY .

Melissa Mitchell

Posted at 5:09 PM on January 17, 2014

I think you are completely wrong. That first audition SHOULD be about singing for their lives. That’s how the industry works. That’s their shot. If you blow it, you blow it. It’s sad, but that was always supposed to be the way the show worked. There are a finite number of positions available. So they have to be a little ruthless.

I’ve been loving HCJr since I was 13 and watching When Harry Met Sally. Sigh> That voice.

The Real Cristina Aguilera

Posted at 8:36 PM on January 21, 2014

It is amazing to me that people actually write like this in a public forum. Then, they try to criticize true musicians. Anyway, this is about a singing contest and not a writing one. Though I love JLo, Harry knows much more about musicianship than she will…ever.

Keith Kemper (@dj2bklyn)

Posted at 9:21 PM on February 12, 2014

So you and I Agree that hes a Bad Choice as a Judge also hes not a pop artist.