Curtis Reeves: 5 Things To Know About The Movie Theater Shooter

Tue, January 14, 2014 6:01pm EST by 41 Comments
Curtis Reeves Movie Theater Shooter
Courtesy Of Fox

So tragic. Retired Tampa cop Curtis Reeves shot 43-year-old father Chad Oulson to death in a Florida movie theater on Jan. 13, after an argument broke out over Chad’s text messaging. Here are five things to know about Chad’s killer.

Curtis Reeves, 71, tore a family apart when he murdered Chad Oulson, 43, at a Wesley Chapel, Fla. movie theater on Jan. 13. Chad was shot with a .380 handgun right in front of his wife, whose injuries were not life-threatening. Find out more about Curtis below.

Curtis Reeves: 5 Things To Know About Movie Theater Shooter

1. He claims he was afraid of being attacked. Curtis and Chad exchanged heated words during the trailers before Lone Survivor over Chad’s text messages to his young daughter. Curtis reportedly tried to contact a manager, but was unsuccessful. Words and popcorn were thrown when he returned, and Curtis is claiming that he was “in fear of being attacked,” per ABC.

Curtis Reeves Feared Attacks

2. He’s being charged with second degree murder. Curtis maintains that he was attacked, but in court, an attorney called Curtis’ claims “weak” due to the fact that other people in the movie theater saw him throw popcorn first.

3. He’s a retired police captain. Local outlet The Tampa Tribune reports that he retired from the Tampa Police Department in 1993, and that he has not had any contact with the department since his retirement. Reeves was “instrumental in establishing the department’s Tactical Response Team,” and his son Mathew Reeves still works for the department as a patrol officer. Curtis also served as director of security at Busch Gardens until 2005.

4. He shot a man for texting his 3-year-old daughter. Tragically, Chad Oulson was texting his very young daughter to assure her that her parents were okay during their movie date.

5. He might try to invoke Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law. Though Curtis’ self-defense claims are weak, he might try to invoke the law made famous by the Trayvon Martin case in defense of the shooting. However, he’d have to convince a judge or jury that he was afraid for his life when he shot Chad, which is a tall order.

So sad. What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Are you afraid to go to the movies after the two shootings?

– Shannon Miller

More Sad News:

1. ‘Cheer Perfection’ Mom Arrested For Allegedly Raping Boy Under 14
  2. Miss Venezuela’s Daughter, 5, Told Of Parents’ Murder, Will Attend Funeral
  3. Monica Spear Dead: Former Miss Venezuela & Ex-Husband Murdered

Tiger

Posted at 10:58 AM on April 12, 2014

Reeves should have gotten up and moved. Plain and simple. It’s not worth it. As a CHL carrier you should avoid confrontation.

Ellen S.

Posted at 8:06 PM on March 20, 2014

Chad Oulson was texting his toddler daughter’s babysitter. Oddly, the killer had returned a text from his cop son, whowas running late to the movie, just minutes before the shooting.

Both the killer and the victim are white.

As an over-the-hill blowhard, the killer reportedly had pushed people around most of his career.
When the killer’s wife told him he had no cause to shoot his victim at the movie theater, the killer immediately told her to “shut the F up and don’t say another word.” That’s apparently when he began hatching his Stand Your Ground self-defense claim. Doubt it will work.

Bill Tuck

Posted at 10:38 PM on March 20, 2014

Ellen is right on about too many of the police officers. Let me give some specific examples and
name names.

In 1964 I was driving along a main street in San Jose. I saw a flashing railroad signal and made a stop and stopped a few seconds and went on when I saw the train was stopped. I was driving a stick shift, so I had to shift down to first and held it for a few seconds. Then a motorcycle cop named Walter Faron turn on his siren and pulled me over. I took the ticket to court, and Faron tld a pack of lies saying I was driving 25 or 0 MPH. I was found guilty and paid a fine. I checked on Googles and found Faron is 72 years old and lived in Morgan Hill, CA.

In 1973 I was in Saginaw, MI driving along with the flow of the traffic when a grossly fat cop named James Osterman pulled me and said I was speediing. I was furious and asked him how many muggings and rapes were there going on. He yelled to me to shut up. I told him, “You shut up”.
As I was walking to my car he yelled, “Get the hell in the car, punk”. In my job I would have been fired for making such a comment.

I wrote a letter to the chief of police telling my side of the incident. After waiting two months with no answer I wrote the mayor of Saginaw relating my story. One of my neighbors was a retired executive at General Motors. Her bosses advanced to be president and CEO of General Motors.
She told me that GM always answered all their mail. That included letters of apology.

The mayor wrote me back taking Osterman’s side. Around that time Marie Walsh was arrested on a drug charge. After receiving a 20-year sentence she broke out of jail. She moved to San Diego, married, had three children and for 30 years lived a a life as a model citizen. Michigan tracked her down and brought her back. What followed for the next year or so was a disgrace for a state that has a bad reputation for high crime.Why can’t they clean up their own back yard?. Also what about a statute of limitations? This incident speaks for itself for Saginaw and all of Michigan.

Another incident occurred in Clay County, FL when I got pulled over on a Saturday night. Clint Redmond was the officer’s name. Like the other incidents I reported he has a cynical attitude. I did pay the fine after consulting with an attorney. I called Redmond’s sergeant, and he grilled me like a Gestapo agent and hung up.

Another example of both improper language and lying in court occurred around 20 years ago one night around Greenville County, SC when Jerry Cobb a state trooper pulled me over. I took it to court, and listened to Cobb tell a pack of lies. After paying an unjust fine I talked to him, and he told me he would bust my damned head off. I dealt with the public, and would have been fired for such a remark. Why should we have to pay the salary of jerks like Cobb when we are paying their salary? I talked to his lieutenant, and all he did was take his side.

Every government agency complains about money crises. It is because of men like Curtis Reeves and the ones I have related that officials have such low esteem. People with competitive jobs would never pull stunts like these. Perhaps a good way to reduce the tax load would be to relieve slobs like that they are. They are overstaffed, overpaid and underworked.

g

Bill Tuck

Posted at 6:09 PM on January 20, 2014

Some cops are worse than Nazi Gestapos. I have never been arrested of had anything bigger than a minor traffic violation. The times I have tried to take my case to court the cop told a pack of lies. The supervisors always backed the officers even they used abusive language to me. It is unfortunate that this incident ever occurred, but it really doesn’t surprise me because of the rotten attitude and disregard for the laws they are supposed to enforce. These pigs think they are above the law. I hope Reeves rots in jail. He probably will be unsuccessful in talking his way out of hell.

tre

Posted at 12:23 AM on February 10, 2014

This is what happens when white trash are given jobs as police. I would really like to know the ethnicities of the individuals involved. Because if Reeve’s is anything less than 100%, he should have never been given his job, and should have been arrested for applying. The only reason those filth want to be police is so they can hurt and rape and kill and get away with it. This goes double for white-trash, and pretty much anyone who sign up to be a cop in Tampa Florida would be white-trash.

Johann3

Posted at 8:12 AM on January 16, 2014

One problem for him if he was contemplating invoking the “Stand Your Ground” law is that Chad Oulson is not black.

j

Posted at 10:36 PM on January 15, 2014

Three-year-olds cannot read texts. This is a posthumous entitled-dad rationalization.

Mark

Posted at 10:47 AM on January 16, 2014

Right. And they also can’t be left home alone so I’m guessing a baby sitter was reading it for her. Nice try though. Thanks for playing.

don't put your hands on me

Posted at 9:21 PM on January 16, 2014

I heard he was texting the babysitter.
The child was having a hard time with her parents having left on their date night.

Fred Payne

Posted at 7:08 PM on January 24, 2014

The baby sitter could read it to her.

John Doe

Posted at 7:21 PM on January 15, 2014

The George Zimmerman case was not a stand your ground trial

Caily Jon

Posted at 2:36 PM on January 15, 2014

until I saw the receipt four $9784, I accept …that…my neighbour woz like truley erning money part-time at their laptop.. there brothers friend has done this 4 only thirteen months and resantly paid for the mortgage on there apartment and purchased a brand new Mazda MX-5. see page …

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<C­H­E­C­K­4­4.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

mad

Posted at 9:39 AM on January 15, 2014

north americans gun-nuts are just sad. What a shame.

S Holmes

Posted at 7:18 AM on January 15, 2014

This is a foretaste of what you will get in NRA’s ideal society, where everyone carries a gun everywhere and anytime:
An argument over a mere trifle, which would previously have lead to an exchange of angry words or possibly some blows and minor injuries, will instead lead to one or more persons shot dead or seriously injured.
Just wait until it becomes common to carry guns at places where men drink alcohol and/or compete for women, like bars, dances and parties; Drunken brawls or disagreements about women will produce gunshot deaths.
The USA has been there before, in the West in the late 1800’s, and the NRA and other gun-worshippers want to bring those times back.

Brit

Posted at 7:00 AM on January 15, 2014

It is abundantly ear that this ex-cop should be sentenced to life without parole as hid defense is unfounded and hopefully he will get what he deserves in jail He has destroyed a young innocent girl’s chance to grow up with the love guidance and support of her father. That movie tester does not even allow guns but if course this arrogant ex-cop thinks the laws don’t apply to him

Angel

Posted at 6:46 AM on January 15, 2014

Knowing Florida’s crazy laws he will get off :( so sad and so stupid. Guns should not be at movie theaters!!!

Tiger

Posted at 11:01 AM on April 12, 2014

The theatre did have a no guns sign posted. Some people (read: cops) believe they’re above the law.

Bill Tuck

Posted at 11:37 AM on April 12, 2014

I couldn’t agree more. One of my favorite programs is Katie. She has some great guests on her Conversation section at the first part of her program. This week she had a couple tell of their problem, which involved their infant daughter, who has a problem with easily breaking bones. Her father was subjected to the humiliation of being accused of child abuse. Eventually the family found a doctor who found a rare bone disease. The police cleared the father, but never apologized for their actions.

M smith

Posted at 11:57 PM on January 14, 2014

I think he deserves to be charged with nothing less than 1st degree murder. He obviously went into that theater with the intent to shoot someone because what kind of person carries a gun into a movie theater, let alone the movie called “lone survivor”…

Harry Balzac

Posted at 12:36 AM on January 15, 2014

Nah. movie theaters are no different than gas stations, malls, banks, or the grocery store. Trouble never sets an appointment or declares anywhere off-limits. You carry your gun everywhere all the time if you’re interested in protecting and defending your life. That’s why we get licenses.

Jennifer Marie

Posted at 5:13 PM on January 16, 2014

Even if the theater bans weapons such as guns and knives (as this one had)? You don’t care about that?

Mike

Posted at 10:11 PM on January 14, 2014

This is behavior that I unfortunately would expect from a former or current police officer. They are trained to view civilians as the enemy and all too many of them entranced by the power of the position feel they are above the law. What accomplishments he has had in the past should have zero bearing on the judge and jurys decision. In life people can be annoying, like using their phone during a movie, that does not make it alright to murder someone.

FryTheFool

Posted at 9:57 PM on January 14, 2014

I am shocked at the number of, “well he shouldn’t have been texting” comments I have seen from the fools on these boards! REALLY! REALLLLLLY!!!!!! OMG

Damn!

Posted at 10:37 PM on January 14, 2014

He shouldn’t have been texting once the lights went down.
Did he deserve to die for it no!
When he saw the guy was agitated, he should’ve stepped out and continued, which would’ve been the right thing to do.

Brit

Posted at 7:03 AM on January 15, 2014

There’s no sign up saying no texting at that theater but there is one saying no guns. So let’s put the stupidity aside for a moment here

Don't put your hands on me!

Posted at 8:58 AM on January 15, 2014

@Brit, the theater where I live post no texting signs as well as no gun signs.
Maybe this theater needs to post the no texting sign as well so even though people that don’t have common courtesy for others will know it’s not allowed.
That man did not have to die because he decided to text the babysitter inside of the theater, instead of stepping out into the lobby to do it once the trailers started.

xzcxbery547

Posted at 9:53 PM on January 14, 2014

.Are you still single ? You are not alone. Free join~~~MixedLuv.Çom~~ Millions of singles have joined it.. This is a Serious interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. Single black people meeting single white people is why we are here.With the background verification system, you can easily find someone real, serious, quality. Have a try.sssssssssssssssssxcvxcbxcb

Andrew Cheng

Posted at 9:18 PM on January 15, 2014

You’re showing a singles dating website on the comments of a movie theater shooting where a father has been killed? I wonder whether you just want the publicity and don’t care, or that you want to stick a shaft to the mother who is now technically “single”.

Damn!

Posted at 9:12 PM on January 14, 2014

I mean this all could’ve been avoided if the dead guy would’ve had common courtesy to step out and text his child.
He Didn’t deserve to be shot or die over something so stupid!
The shooter is 71, he could be in the early stages of Alzheimer or dementia.
My kid was locked out while I was at the movies once. I stepped out of the theater and told him to go to to his grandparents house across the street until I got home.
I had common courtesy for others that paid the same money I did to see the movie.
Such a tragic story that could’ve been avoided.
My prayers go out to Chad’s wife and child.

Meija

Posted at 9:40 PM on January 14, 2014

Wow. You are totally insane.

Damn!

Posted at 10:26 PM on January 14, 2014

@Meija, think what you like but a lot a s##t! these days wouldn’t happen if people just had a little common courtesy for others.
It’s just that simple.

People Are Stupid

Posted at 9:48 PM on January 14, 2014

You DO realize the article CLEARLY states that this was before the movie even started? How dumb are you?

Damn!

Posted at 10:30 PM on January 14, 2014

@PPS, So what?
Some people like to watch the trailers.
Just because you don’t doesn’t mean the next person doesn’t.
Common courtesy isn’t stupid it’s the right thing to do.

FryTheFoo

Posted at 9:54 PM on January 14, 2014

I second the insane diagnoses.

Damn!

Posted at 10:34 PM on January 14, 2014

@FTF, the insane person was the guy with the gun.
I would’ve made sure a manager was found and had the guy tossed out.
Nobody deserves to die for not being courteous to his fellow movie goers.
He just picked the wrong day to do it and ran into a crazy guy.

john

Posted at 11:22 PM on January 14, 2014

you are an idiot. Reeves was not insane. He tried to bring the manager into this. Oulson instigated the whole thing and tragically lost his life. it could have been avoided BY OULSON. Sad but entirely his fault.

Abetterplace

Posted at 8:51 AM on January 15, 2014

YOU ARE FREAKING CRAZY! Who says such BS! This man was comforting his 3yr old and that old fart was being just that. Fry his 71 yr old tail shouldn’t waste court time on this one.

wealthypeople1

Posted at 8:56 PM on January 14, 2014

If you want to date wealthy men and beautiful women with high net worth, ideally you must know where these people hang out. Don’t know where to start? ++++ WealthyPeople.Org ++++ The easiest way to go would be meeting them online.
dsfsdfsdf

Andrew Cheng

Posted at 9:20 PM on January 15, 2014

People seriously need to stop posting dating website commercials on new about movie shootings.

Aly

Posted at 6:58 PM on January 14, 2014

I think it’s absolutely tragic. The poor wife and daughter and their entire family. You wouldn’t expect something like hat from a former police officer let alone a captain. The shorting happened at my local movie theater who I regularly attend so I definelty an worried. All of these shootings lately are terrible and need to stop.

Saddened