‘Downton Abbey’ Recap: Mary & Robert Clash On Season 4 Premiere

Sun, January 5, 2014 11:00pm EDT by 20 Comments
Downton Abbey Season Premiere
Courtesy of PBS

downtoncanuck

Posted at 1:50 PM on January 6, 2014

Finding it hard to believe Thomas Barrow can go back to being nasty after what he went through in Season 3. You would think those incidents would have humbled him and made him a better person. Just doesn’t ring true for me. The only interesting, ‘developing’ characters are Tom, Edith and Mrs. Crawley. Everyone else seems to be playing caricatures of themselves. What ever happened to character development?

rockytony

Posted at 1:40 PM on January 6, 2014

The most poignant segment of all, in my view, was omitted from this post. And that was when Mary went to Carson’s quarters and apologized for her vitriolic tirade that resulted from an earlier visit by Mr. Carson to help her, based on his perceived relationship he had with her.

Jim

Posted at 1:48 PM on January 6, 2014

TOTALLY agree! Well said, rockytony!

Liz

Posted at 6:34 PM on January 6, 2014

Very true…both scenes with Carson and Mary showed what a relationship they have. I will never forget the look on his face when
Mary came down in her wedding dress season 3 and she lovingly asked for his approval.

Jim

Posted at 1:38 PM on January 6, 2014

Suddenly the Crawleys don’t trust their reliable and responsible Anna? Totally implausible, and a really weak point in the plot. REALLY weak.

Jim

Posted at 1:47 PM on January 6, 2014

Now that I think about it, why in God’s name would they EVER trust Thomas? Again, totally implausible – unless you agree that Robert and Cora are witless, self-absorbed fools. Hmmm. I still prefer the Dowager. Maggie Smith, from the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie to now, has always been a huge favorite in this house!

Liz

Posted at 6:36 PM on January 6, 2014

Thomas is like that family member you just can’t get rid of. He showed some heart after Lady Sybil’s death. But it went far far away after. Once and snake always a snake.

Liz

Posted at 6:48 AM on January 6, 2014

I’ve already watched this season in its entirety, a few times. This show is amazing and in order to review it and give it the proper credit due you have to remember it is a period piece and forget modern day rules or thoughts.
With all of the crap that we watch on TV I wish there was more and
More of DA on because it is very refreshing!! Enjoy season 4!!!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:39 AM on January 6, 2014

I agree the show is a refreshing change of pace from most of the garbage (that I admittedly watch.) I just feel like season 4 isn’t as consistent as previous seasons. Just one man’s opinion.

Liz

Posted at 6:32 PM on January 6, 2014

The season does come together. After Matthews death I imagine it was a hard plot to pick up :) but there are aome great twists and turns and some predictable ones too.

Vesanto Melina

Posted at 3:33 AM on January 6, 2014

I like it. I’m still transfixed

Redheadeddeb

Posted at 2:57 AM on January 6, 2014

Not sure what this “reviewer” was watching or why. I very much enjoyed this first visit back to Downton. I can’t imagine ever caring about Rose, she’s just too self involved. Thomas is still the nasty man he always is but his character is needed to set storylines up. So happy to be back in England.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:40 AM on January 6, 2014

Not sure why you put reviewer in quotes. Is a reviewer required to like something? Because that would kind of kill the entire purpose of a review.

Harmiclir

Posted at 1:01 AM on January 6, 2014

I could barely keep my eyes open through the episode.

Chuck Gallup

Posted at 12:54 AM on January 6, 2014

We are seeing the Downton as if it is a slideshow.
Very disappointing.

RedOwl

Posted at 12:17 AM on January 6, 2014

Message for Andy:

Both of us were almost correct. The name of the character is MOSELEY!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:40 AM on January 6, 2014

haha, according to IMDB it’s Molesley. The mystery continues…

RedOwl

Posted at 11:55 PM on January 5, 2014

Good Review, Andy!

You are someone who knows his Downton Characters and I am a Downton Abbey Addict.
I do disagree with your final summation because these two hour premieres merely set the stage for what will happen in the future and can be somewhat slower than usual..

Totally agree with you about Rose. Never liked her inclusion into the series. I really don’t care a fig about her!

The real loss for me to the programme (you can tell by my spelling that I am Canadian) is O’Brien.
Never since Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca has there been a more delicious villain and I so wanted to finally have it revealed how Bates (through Thomas) discovered the true story of Her Ladyship slipping on the bar of soap and causing the miscarriage. This plotline was never resolved. Pity!

Edna is definitely trouble and nasty troublemakers are what make the series such a good one.

I rather like Mosely, poor dear Mosely. I hope, somehow that he is still in the series in the future.
Is it Mosely or Molesely? I think that it is the former.

Robert has always been a buffoon – why change him now?
He, even more that The Dowager Duchess, represents the fight against any change in society as he knows and understands it.

Gregson’s plans ‘s plan to divorce “his vegetable”.. Priceless!
Somehow, I don’t think that Edith is the great passion in his life. She is bound to lose out again!

Elizabeth

Posted at 12:08 PM on January 6, 2014

I have trouble believing that Edith is really in love with him, and I’ll be shocked if she moves to Germany with him.. I think she just really enjoys the attention and affection for a change, not to mention her life in London is free of all the crap she gets at home. It was hard to like her in the first season, but I can see how being “poor Edith” would drive the girl crazy after a while. I’m hoping for great things for her!

stealthcreeper

Posted at 11:36 PM on January 5, 2014

Reblogged this on StealthCreeper.