Selena Gomez’s Lupus: Why She Wants To Keep Her Struggles Private

Fri, December 27, 2013 3:08pm EDT by 41 Comments
Selena Gomez Lupus
Getty

So sad. News broke on Dec. 27 that Selena Gomez was privately battling lupus, and now sources close to Selena have confirmed to HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY that the rumors are true. Find out why Selena is keeping her disease private below.

Selena Gomez shocked fans worldwide when she canceled her tour on Dec. 19, and the news got worse on Dec. 27 when Popdust.com released a report saying that the 21-year-old had lupus. HollywoodLife.com spoke to sources who EXCLUSIVELY confirmed that Selena does indeed have lupus, and has been hiding it because it’s her personal business!

Selena Gomez Has Lupus: EXCLUSIVE Details

Selena Gomez Allegedly Battling Lupus — 10 Facts About The Disease

Such horrible news. A friend of Selena’s confirmed to HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY that she does indeed suffer with the disease, and has been hiding it from her fans for privacy reasons.

“Selena will not be happy that this is out there, she really wanted to keep this to herself,” the source says. “She doesn’t want it to effect people’s opinions of her and what she’s capable of. This is her own personal business and she wants to keep it that way.”

Of course, any fan of Selena will love and support her through this — and it’s completely understandable that Selena would want to keep some of her personal life private. Still, another source confirmed EXCLUSIVELY that Selena isn’t just worried about public opinion — she’s embarrassed!

“She is embarrassed by it,” the insider says. “But her family and friends always tell her that they love her just the same.”

How terrible that she’s embarrassed, but it’s great to hear that her friends and family have her back. She may need that support, because a third source referred to HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY that Selena cannot handle much stress due to her illness.

“Selena can’t get overly stressed out because aggravates the illness,” the source says.

HollywoodLife.com sends thoughts and prayers to Selena as she battles lupus.

Selena Gomez Cancels Her Australian Tour

The lupus news was only unearthed after Selena canceled her Australian tour on Dec. 19. This caused concern due to the sudden nature of the cancelation, leading to several reports of everything from Justin Bieber heartbreak to rehab. However, the real truth came out on Dec. 27.

“Selena has been going full throttle the past few years and her Lupus is really catching up with her right now,” a source told Popdust.com. “She knows that she needs to take some time to address the disease and look after herself better if she wants to live a full and healthy life.”

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Are you shocked to hear that the news is true? Surprised that Selena is embarrassed?

– Shannon Miller; Reporting By Sandra Clark & Russ Weakland.

More Selena Gomez News:

1. Selena Gomez Allegedly Battling Lupus — 10 Facts About The Disease
  2. Selena Gomez Cancels Tour Because She’s Battling Lupus — Report
  3. Selena Gomez Misses The Old Justin Bieber She Fell In Love With

lilywatch.com

Posted at 9:41 PM on September 26, 2014

It’s remarkable for me to have a web page, which is valuable in support of my experience.
thanks admin

rezah

Posted at 1:41 PM on April 26, 2014

I’m so sorry that I heard this I love u and have always did mwah frm rezah in brooklyn 39 princess alice dr wectern cape cape town and hope u visit cape town and tell demi I’m a surpotter

Sella

Posted at 7:13 AM on January 12, 2014

I don’t know why Selena doing this but if she wants to keep her struggle private so it’s ok with me.

justin bieber

Posted at 3:03 PM on January 2, 2014

Oh man, this is the first i have heard of this. If only sel had been truthful. I just cant be with someone who would keep such a secret.

Sella

Posted at 7:16 AM on January 12, 2014

I think your right Justin.

Sammie

Posted at 2:55 PM on January 1, 2014

I am in my mid 50’s and was diagnosed with supposedly mild lupus and Sjogren’s a year and a half ago. I also have fibromyalgia, so I know what pain is like. I am so thankful for Plaquenil that has helped tremendously with my energy and how I feel. I have a very physically demanding job, and if I had not told people I have these autoimmune illnesses, they would never have guessed. I am fortunate and blessed that mine has not affected my internal organs seriously.

Enough rest and good sleep are tremendously important in managing lupus and other autoimmune diseases.

I certainly can sympathize with Selena if she has lupus and hope she can successfully manage the disease. Lupus does have a certain stigma; many people think you are an invalid; in many cases, it can be managed just like multiple sclerosis and other potentially disabling illnesses.

If Selena does have lupus, I hope she comes forward with a statement. I think someone that young and influential would help research into lupus and accompanying autoimmune diseases.

Prayers for Selena and others battling any health problems.

Eliza

Posted at 7:08 PM on December 29, 2013

I think that the bottom line here is that even if Selena does or doesn’t have lupus we shouldn’t let it change the way we look at people. Why should let this change the way we treat her or anyone else with health problems differently? I have lupus, and yes I have to do somethings differently like but sunscreen on and take a feel deep breaths so as not to get stressed out, but guess what these are things many people without lupus do. Can lupus be hard? Yes! but people we shouldn’t let if hold people back. and really shame on hollywood life for writing things this way.For treating her this way. She is a singer and an actress not some reality tv fame whore. And most of all she is human treat her that way!
Maybe if you guys didn’t treat her or anyone else without perfect health like an alien than she wouldn’t have to be ashamed about being sick.
People are still people. Only Selena can know what she can and can’t do. Don’t let some one’s narrow minded thoughts on this or any other illness blind you to the people around you.
Who knows maybe you’ll wake up tomorrow with lupus or some other illness.
Treat others how you want to be treated.

maria

Posted at 10:45 PM on December 28, 2013

My prayers for selena my mother has lupus and she’s a strong woman if my mom can battle through for almost I think 15 yrs of lupus well so can selena you can do it dont give up :)

Brizia

Posted at 8:08 PM on December 28, 2013

Since 2010 I had my ups and downs with LUPUS and it hasn’t been controled yet.When I would watch you TV or in the internet I never knew that had this illness.But that’s what I heard from the news,I don’t even know if it’s true or not. But if it is this is what I would say to you.Now that people you have LUPUS you’ll notice who are your real friends.I have a flare and have to go back on kimo.Your health comes FIRST if you don’t have your health then you will not have a good career.Take GOD by the hand. ALWAYS Be with that’s how get I get through my tough moments.STAY STRONG BRAVE GIRL.Don’t worry about what other people think.It will be a tough time for you because of Lupus but remember that god will alway be will you and so will I.GOD BLESS YOU Selena Gomez.

Sade

Posted at 9:47 AM on December 28, 2013

Her team would have denied that for now if was not true. They just waiting for when Selena is ready to do the confirmation herself

Tarkii

Posted at 7:04 AM on December 28, 2013

As someone with Lupus (SLE) I really hope tis is not true. Until she confirms it herself I won’t believe it. As she will have huge life changes at such a young age. If it is true I pray she gets her management of this hideous disease under control ASAP. xx

Dana

Posted at 2:04 AM on December 28, 2013

I would EXCLUSIVELY like to say that I EXCLUSIVELY won’t believe this report until Selena herself EXCLUSIVELY confirms. You already reported that she cancelled the tour because she was EXCLUSIVELY partying too hard, getting over Justin Bieber, and going to rehab. EXCLUSIVELY.

alicedbishop (@alicedbishop)

Posted at 10:14 PM on December 27, 2013

my neighbor’s mom makes $87 an hour on the computer. She has been fired from work for 5 months but last month her pay was $13507 just working on the computer for a few hours. take a look at the site here====> JOBS25.C­O­M

Iaintallbad

Posted at 8:47 PM on December 27, 2013

omg what….is this new plastic surgery? She needs to keep it aaaaaaallllllll private in my opinion.

Kate

Posted at 9:34 PM on December 27, 2013

plastic surgery???? really? Lupus is an autoimmune disease where her immune system has gone haywire and is now trying to kill her in essence.
my heart and prayers go out to Selena at this time . . . please know that this disease SUCKS bigtime, but it is NOTHING to be ashamed of!
a fellow Lupie

taketwo

Posted at 10:34 PM on December 27, 2013

What are you talking about? Lupus is disease not plastic surgery. You’ve got a computer look it up before you comment. You sound so stupid.

Bobbie

Posted at 2:44 AM on December 28, 2013

Seriously???? Kate?? Are you an idiot!!!!! It’s an incurrable disease from hell!!! Read about it. Educate yourself before you speak next time!!!!!! Another fellow luppie!!!

Bobbie

Posted at 2:47 AM on December 28, 2013

Sorry.. Not Kate.:( I was so angry. I got caught up. I meant that for @Iaintallbad@. She’s the Idiot.

Ivy1

Posted at 8:38 PM on December 27, 2013

NOT TRUE!

taketwo

Posted at 10:36 PM on December 27, 2013

Not true what?

JocelynSHernandez (@JocelynSHernand)

Posted at 7:28 PM on December 27, 2013

Are you a self motivated hard working individual and you want to be in charge of your own income. Make $881 -$2350 weekly easy. Join the community.
No scam no bull… jobs59.C­O­M

Sereena

Posted at 7:12 PM on December 27, 2013

Wow. I was Diagnosed at 15 years old, and its been two years that I have been struggling with Lupus. It’s sad to hear that someone else has to go through what I’m going through, but it inspires me to go for my dreams. If Selena can do it, so can I :)

Anguhluh

Posted at 9:45 PM on December 27, 2013

I was diagnosed at fifteen too. I’ve now had the disease for nearly seven years now.

Eliza

Posted at 7:14 PM on December 29, 2013

I think that is the only bright side to this story. Is that if she is going through it maybe it will help change the way people see Lupus. I have it and it’s not easy but we shouldn’t live in a world were lupus holds us back from following our dreams. We can do it all. We might just need to take little breaks like Selena did. Seeing that – if she has it – she had to keep it to herself because of what people would think is the saddest part. Hopefully more people will learn about lupus now and see that we are just as hard working as everyone else.
That we too have the strength to follow our dreams

Allz

Posted at 6:34 PM on December 27, 2013

Lady Gaga cancelled her tour a few years ago for the same reason. If it’s true, I wish Selena the best. Some time off will do her good. And maybe this is a good chance for her and Justin to reunite. She needs him, and he needs her.

KALANI

Posted at 7:09 PM on December 27, 2013

YEAH I DON’T THINK SO. SHE HAS HER GIRLS AND HER FAMILY THERE SUPPORTING HER.

rb

Posted at 9:16 PM on December 27, 2013

I think Allz is correct in her comment. There is a chance that Justin doesn’t know that Selena has lupus. She seemed to push him away in hopes that he would find another women, the problem is Justin can’t seem to let her go. You can hear it in his songs, and is risking his career because he doesn’t know.

rb

Posted at 6:28 PM on December 27, 2013

Could Selena’s disease problem be the reason why she broke-up with Justin? Does Justin even know about her problem? Justin not knowing might be the reason behind him acting-up. Nov 2012 during his interview he said that he didn’t know why she broke-up with him. She had made a comment that things are not what it seems in one of her interviews. I am sure Justin loves her dearly and would be supportive to her needs.

taketwo

Posted at 10:46 PM on December 27, 2013

You are asking the questions to the wrong people. Why would you think that we would know if Justin know about her problem but I’m sure he knows now. I don’t know if he truly loves her but you’re a little behind on the news of the breakup. She broke with him because he had be cheating and flirting with other girls.

glory

Posted at 6:03 PM on December 27, 2013

omg lupus not curable
poor selena

God is Awsome (@sonja79245179)

Posted at 5:31 PM on December 27, 2013

No matter what you are going through Selena. We your fans are behind you no matter what ever you do. I will always love you and pray for you. even though I didn’t know anything about you until when I was in my 40s. I know this you are a great actress and singer. And you will never give take all the time you need to recuperate God has bless you with a lot in your life even with a new baby sister. hope you enjoy her. God bless you Selena.Wish I could of meet you in real life before my life ends

Jules

Posted at 5:52 PM on December 27, 2013

Cool! I notice this comment is from a fan who is 40+. I too am 40+. I have sons & no daughter, so I love to be her fan & root for her. Don’t get me wrong, my sons are my world & I’d never trade them. I am just a huge Selena & “girl power” supporter. My wonderful sons are as well. Go Selena, go! You are strong; you are kind; you are inspiring to males & females around the world; we love you as you are.

Kalani

Posted at 5:16 PM on December 27, 2013

I highly doubt that’s true. She’s probably just make it up. Seriously she has to that dumb for attention.

Taylor

Posted at 5:51 PM on December 27, 2013

Or she’s sick and has Lupus

KALANI

Posted at 6:55 PM on December 27, 2013

SERIOUSLY. YEAH WHATEVER. WHO REALLY CARES.

sheeks

Posted at 8:34 PM on December 27, 2013

Kalani you’re an idiot.

Ivy1

Posted at 8:53 PM on December 27, 2013

She did not make it up. Rumormongers like Hollywood Life did. They want you to visit their sight. Keep them relevant. Story is “NOT TRUE”!

Anguhluh

Posted at 9:46 PM on December 27, 2013

Your comment is offensive and incredibly ignorant. How about you grow up just a bit?

Eliza

Posted at 7:10 PM on December 29, 2013

this is a really cold way to treat someone who might really be sick. I hope that when something hard goes on in your life people doubt you and say the same thing.

pedrocastroalmeida (@pedrocastroalm2)

Posted at 3:36 PM on December 27, 2013

my co-worker’s mother-in-law makes $71 hourly on the internet. She has been without work for eight months but last month her check was $12184 just working on the internet for a few hours. hop over to this website,

►●►●►●►▶ 2­3­J­O­B­S.C­­­O­­­­­­M

william Chlystun

Posted at 9:03 AM on December 30, 2013

Miss Gomez my wife had lupus for over 25 years the breakthrus in medicine have been amazing we have 4 great acive kids just an note watch how long you spend in sun an follow drs advice get Dr that knows thaat disease not just a Dr friend. MANY good wishes your way