Britney Spears gave fans a rare peek into the intimate details of her life on Dec. 22 with her ‘I Am Britney Jean’ special, which chronicled Britney’s four month journey to the stage for her new Vegas show. Find out what Britney shared about sex, retirement, her mental health struggles, family and more below!
Britney Spears: Top 5 Moments From ‘I Am Britney Jean’
1. Britney typically gives one or two word answers when asked about her mental health issues, but not this time. Britney opened up about her social anxiety and her issues with paparazzi, saying she felt “alienated from the public” when she couldn’t go out in public without having 20 paps following her. “But as time passed, they lightened up and they went away after I wouldn’t come out of the house for two years,” she said. “It was a trying time. It was kind of confusing for me. Personally, I’m a shy person and I’m particularly not really made for this industry because I am so shy. It’s not something I deal with so well.”
Britney fidgeted with her hands and stared at the ceiling as she discussed her anxiety issues, which really made you feel for her — sometimes it’s shocking to see celebrities act so honest and raw when it comes to their personal lives. “I have always been kind of shy, since I was a little girl,” she said. “It’s who I am to be modest, so I really can’t help it.
She really can’t help it — because apparently, she got in from her father. “Backstage I catch myself doing the same hand mannerisms as him and worrying and I’m like ‘Oh my god I’m turning into my f—ing father right now. This is horrible.’
2. Britney also opened up about her love life with David Lucado. The (relatively) new couple wore matching plaid shirts and acted all lovey-dovey in front of the cameras — it’s clear the Britney’s anxiety is lessened around David. “He’s a simple guy, she said. “He’s funny, he’s passionate, and he gets what I do so it kind of works out.”
Britney also cheekily chatted about sex. After viewing from sexy new footage from her “Work Bitch” video, the giggly singer said “I love sex, I think sex is great… But I feel a little different about it now that I’m older. Sometimes I feel like I’m like 20, and sometimes I feel like I’m 50.”
3. Speaking of feeling 50, Britney said that her “Piece of Me” Vegas show will be her personal biography. According to Brit, the title for the show — which comes from a song off the 2007 album Blackout — was chosen because the song detailed her journey in the music business and the grueling life both in front of and behind the cameras. “I’m relating to it with how I started at 17 years old and how the paparazzi is with me and what I go through when I go out sometimes and me being a mother,” she said.
Luckily for Spears, the meaning of the song has changed as the years passed. “Now I look at it more like a superstar, like super-confident ‘You want a piece of me?’ “
4. Any fan of nostalgia had to appreciate Britney’s look through her sartorial history. And while ’90s kids fondly remember Britney’s epic costumes from the “… Baby One More Time” good old days, Britney is embarrassed by her “ugly” old looks. The singer admitted that her oversized Tommy Hilfiger overalls and pleather looks from this era weren’t her best. She liked the 2000 “Oops! I Did It Again” tour looks better, and she called the 2004 Onyx Hotel Tour her “sexy” one. “I wouldn’t be that promiscuous these days,” Spears said as she looked back.
5. In one of the special’s best personal moments, she brought her kids — Sean Preston, 8, and Jayden James, 7 — and her boyfriend to a family Thanksgiving dinner with her parents, which showed a precious, fun, intimate side to the Spears fam. We saw sweet Jayden playing the piano, and Britney’s younger sis Jamie Lynn Spears telling Britney she could kick her ass.
What did you think of I Am Britney Jean, HollywoodLifers?
— Shaunna Murphy
More Britney Spears News:
- ‘I Am Britney Jean’ Review: Britney Spears Is Back & Better Than Ever
- Britney Spears Wears Sexy Bra In Music Video For ‘Perfume’ — Watch
- Britney Spears: Gorgeous On The Cover Of ‘InStyle’ Magazine