‘The Voice’ Finale: Tessanne Chin Owns Night 1 With Whitney Houston

Mon, December 16, 2013 10:07pm EDT by 66 Comments
Tessane Chin The Voice Finale
Courtesy of NBC

Sadie

Posted at 10:50 AM on December 17, 2013

Tessanne should definitely win the Voice!!! She’s an AMAZING singer. She has done justice to all the songs she has sang in this competition. Bread & Butter all the way!!!

atazdcrj4225

Posted at 10:14 AM on December 17, 2013

Black Men Dating White Women,White men Seeking Black Women on
—————- BlackMenDatingWhiteWomen.o/r/g————. Thousands of Black Men, Black Women, White Men and White Women Free Join Here Everyday.Here a 100% safe, serious and real community for black & white single seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. The site has established 12+ years. Millions of singles have joined it.

Natasha

Posted at 9:35 AM on December 17, 2013

Tessanne should definitely win. This competition is called the voice and that’s what she got THE VOICE!!! #TeamTessanne# all the way. Bread and butter

Simone

Posted at 8:58 AM on December 17, 2013

Tessanne should definitely win the voice because she has never had an “off night” since the auditions. She got all four judges to turn and she has an AMAZING voice. She sings effortlessly and can sing any song chosen for her. She is naturally talented and such a humble and loving individual.please make Tessanne “the voice” for 2013

Vivian costagliola

Posted at 8:33 AM on December 17, 2013

Tessanne Chin, her voice, her face, her smile, her emotions, her presentations, her warmth of character, her humbleness, has mesmerized me and many viewers, tonight and in semifinal. Tessanne Chin was everything a viewer can ask for in a performance that, I believe, cannotbe replicated. She is a gift to all of us. I love her for everything she is and I know she will be Jamaica’s, America’s,the Orient’s and other countries’ bright star of the future.

sean

Posted at 8:32 AM on December 17, 2013

Impressive

jsrathbun

Posted at 7:36 AM on December 17, 2013

Mariah Carey. Madonna. Michael Jackson. Whitney. Lady gaga and beyonce. Musical legends that will always be imitated never duplicated

lk

Posted at 8:47 AM on December 17, 2013

Not duplicated ~ a stunning TRIBUTE! Whitney would be so proud of Tessanne.

Suzzanne

Posted at 3:50 AM on December 17, 2013

The show is called ” The Voice”, and that is Tessanne Chin. Oh!! she is #1 ITUNES..

Dionne dean

Posted at 3:09 AM on December 17, 2013

I respect your opinion and choice but I have to disagree. Jacque at this stage is no comparison. She has potential if trained properly but currently lacks the experience to channel her talent and sing harmoniously. In the future, I am sure she will become a good singer but today is not that day. I give the edge to Tessanne.

Morgan

Posted at 3:08 AM on December 17, 2013

Unfortunately while Jacquie is a good singer, she does not have the soul, sincerity, or the emotion to back up any of her songs. Most of the songs chosen for her are above her head. Will is an excellent singer, yet he thinks too much. Tessanne…well, what can you say behind that!

deb

Posted at 1:28 AM on December 17, 2013

teasa blew me away sounded like whitney in some spots

boog3rsugar

Posted at 1:15 AM on December 17, 2013

Reblogged this on Jessie Spencer's Blogspot.

Beth Haute

Posted at 12:32 AM on December 17, 2013

I liked Bridge better, because you can tell her voice has been worked to the max, but that is tonite was so incredibly moving … you know how astonishing her ride has been on the show and how hard she must have worked to get to this point, and how hard her voice has been pushed, so to pull of her most amazing and difficult feat of them all at the very end is just breath taking ….

Beth Haute

Posted at 12:22 AM on December 17, 2013

TO SAY THAT what Tessanne did tonite was difficult is a huuuuuuuuuuge understatement …. Whitney herself could not have managed those variations with such pitch perfection …. AND what non singers forget is that these people in the finals on reality shows are singing like crazy, working their voices into serious overtime… unlike other situations and performance shows … she is a virtuoso, period … Adam was brilliant and lucky to get her and wise – if he did – to let her go her own directions …. i’d like to have heard a different song, but any Whitney love song is as good as it gets in singing, so ….

Linda

Posted at 12:19 AM on December 17, 2013

Tessane’s rendition of “I Have Nothing” was amazing. She channeled Whitney Houston and absolutely blew out the competition. Definitely this season’s champion.

Fran

Posted at 11:58 PM on December 16, 2013

Jacqui was out of her league tonight. She screamed. Xtina didn’t make a good pick for her. Sad. How could you say she was good? She is good but tonight she was smothered.

Damn!

Posted at 11:51 PM on December 16, 2013

The song is called, I Have Nothing. Why the hell did HWL add a who to it?
Are their writers writing for free so they Phuck up on purpose?
Damn! do they employ any proofreaders or fact checkers?

ideasjamaican

Posted at 3:02 AM on December 17, 2013

There is a song “I who have nothing” sang originally by Ben E King. That is what caused the confusion.

Michelle Mae Souza

Posted at 11:45 PM on December 16, 2013

Tessanne All The Way. Something completely unexpected happened to me. I started crying! Never happens, I am jade by all rhese talent shows. But anyone that literally moves me to tears wins. She rocks. I likr the girl but someone besideslittle teen queens needs to win.

grace walker

Posted at 11:42 PM on December 16, 2013

Whitney just woke up and bowed to Tessanne…and the torch has been shared…what a tribute to the Voice..Tessanne’s performance of I Have Nothing was rendered with rich authenticity and paid honorary tribute to #theVoice of a legend, Whitney Houston. Jacqui’s choice of song, And I am telling You, though powerful and gutsy, did not have the belly of maturity to make the rendition ironfisted..this night and the winning Voice unabashedly goes to #TessanneChin Biggups!!

deb

Posted at 1:34 AM on December 17, 2013

i agree with you ress all the way

Alicia Reknema

Posted at 11:39 PM on December 16, 2013

I started watching ‘The Voice’ during the second half of season one and have been hooked ever since. Tessanne Chin is the best vocalist that I have ever heard by far on this show. JacqueLee is good but too much of a ‘screamer’ for my musical tastes. Everything she does sounds the same to me; she has very little nuance to her vocals. Tessanne really knows her instrument, when to soften, sing soft and clear like a meadow lark and when to really belt it out, bringing it home! In my opinion, though Will I am sure is a very nice guy and I am sure works hard like Adam always is pointing out, he doesn’t have the vocal chops as they say. The third person should in the finale should have been Matthew S. or possibly James W. but not Will.

ideasjamaican

Posted at 3:11 AM on December 17, 2013

Mathew yes but not James. At the same time Will sounded pretty good tonight. His rendition of the Bryan Adams song was good. Tessanne is however the most accomplished as she really knows how to use her instrument. Jackie has not yet developed a distinctive style and vocally she has a lot to improve on.

Morgan

Posted at 3:15 AM on December 17, 2013

I disagree, Will sang AT Last by Etta James, and A Change is gonna Come perfectly. He hits falsetto and has an excellent soulfulness to his voice…I think his song choices could have been better for tonight. The world will see him again in the music industry. I agree with you regarding Jacquie, that act of falling to her knees was contrived and a bad idea.

James Perno

Posted at 11:36 PM on December 16, 2013

I don’t get how coach Adam gives tessanne a over the top song, than announces that he thinks she is the winner before his other contestant even sings his killings song. Even Blake says that he was conservativewith the song he sang
maybe coach adam had him sing this song to give tessanne a better chance of winning.
I think if a coach has more than one finalist, they should choose one and the contestant pick a coach who has no one in the finals.
Adam that’s sad what you did, you have lost my respect for you as an artist.

Alicia Reknema

Posted at 11:48 PM on December 16, 2013

I agree James, it was in poor taste what James did. They do that sort of thing on American Idol, and Americas’s Got Talent and it is unfortunate. I think it would be too hard for the second artist on a coach’s team to switch to another coach just for the finale, but an interesting thought… I haven’t lost respect for Adam as an artist because I know he is basically a caring person and a good musician but I have always been able to tell that of anyone he had on his team he favored Tessanne from the get-go. I think that he did try to applaud Will and honor him for his accomplishments thus far. As I posted in my original comment I don’t think Will should even have been in the finale. But I did think the same thing as you did and so did my son. I am sure Adam will regret saying it, and probably already has as he has had time to reflect on it and probably has already had it pointed out to him by the other coaches as well as folk’s comments like ours.

Luis Garcia-Puente (@LDGarciaPuente)

Posted at 12:20 AM on December 17, 2013

I completely disagree. I was also bordered by it for a second. But what could Adam do. That was the last moment to talk about Tessanne and how amazing she truly is. The mistake is not in him. It is on the producers that forced Jacquie to close the show instead of Tessanne.

Alicia Reknema

Posted at 12:28 AM on December 17, 2013

Tessanne would have been a better way to close out the show undoubtedly but I don’t know if these shows are totally scripted or not. I think some of it is ‘off the cuff’ (which lends to the spontaneity of the show) so who knows if the producers knew that Adam was going to say that. I just think Adam’s true feelings came through which I can understand. Plus, I think that the artists ‘get it,’ they know that this is a business and also get in on all of the Facebook and twitter stuff; they know who is popular and who is not…

hartsghart

Posted at 12:02 AM on December 17, 2013

Get a life… he only speaks the truth.

tasimmo

Posted at 11:27 PM on December 16, 2013

Tessanne hit one big number – Jacquie has consistently nailed all of hers. It’s Jacquie Lee for me.

hartsghart

Posted at 12:11 AM on December 17, 2013

Have you been watching the same show. Tessanne…every performance takes it to a place where Jacquie will never in her lifetime. Jacquie is ok at best.

tsukiyo

Posted at 1:09 AM on December 17, 2013

I’m sorry but I can’t agree with you… Unless you mean that Jacquie consistently nailed being flat – pitch, not performance. And as a musician, I know that the ear wants to hear sharp over flat any day. She is absolutely freakishly talented for her age but she needs more life experience to truly stand a chance against her coach or Tessanne. I nearly cried for Tessanne’s performance and I NEVER cry over these shows. Jacquie didn’t even come close to evoking that emotion from me in any of her performances. I have to give this to Tessanne.

prettyp

Posted at 1:19 AM on December 17, 2013

Of course she has been consistent with her screaming!

Chris C.

Posted at 1:43 AM on December 17, 2013

I agree. While Tessanne clearly has a smoother and more controlled voice, and her Whitney performance was perfect, as a potential future star with enormous potential, I give it to Jacquie also. Tessanne is an established recording artist and experienced star in her own country. Jacquie is a young girl who before this was singing to charity groups. In this competition, Tessanne has climbed one or two rungs up the ladder, however Jacquie has climbed all the way up, and is still improving. If I were a recording scout and had to choose between the two, I’d sign Jacquie.

Still, this is what America wants, so we’ll see…

OldLadySoul

Posted at 8:59 AM on December 17, 2013

I wonder….if all these Tessanne fans would give her a contract if they owned a record company. I think not and I don’t think they’ll be buying her records either. This show may be called TheVoice, but I think we all know that those singers that make it to the top do not necessary have the best Voice. For me, it comes down to genre. I’m pretty much solidly an R&B/Soul fan, so I find the songs Tessane sings hard on my ears. Bridge over Trouble Waters doesn’t do it for me no matter who sings it, nor do songs like Angel that Jacki sang. I’m more for the “At Last” type songs that Will sang. That said, I am a older generation, and it is the young people that control the music market. No matter who wins The Voice, that doesn’t guarantee future success after the contract expires. Lastly, I think I’ve replayed Preston Pohl’s audition tape of Electric Feel 25 times by now. My kind of music.

simone

Posted at 9:30 AM on December 17, 2013

Tasimmo,,,,are you serious!!!!! It seems that you have just began to watch the show or you know nothing about talent.Tessanne has been consistent from the get go.you need to youtube all the performances and you will see.obviously a person who just had “one big moment” as you said, could not make it to the top of itunes so many times

Antoye

Posted at 9:36 AM on December 17, 2013

So want Bridge over troubled waters” a big number? Also “Redemption song”? Check the ratings on ITunes.

Lala

Posted at 11:20 PM on December 16, 2013

Truth be told the voice is lucky to have tessanne at this point, she’s THAT good

JM

Posted at 11:14 PM on December 16, 2013

Tessanne for sure. A depth and beauty to her voice no one else has. Jacquie can hit all the notes and then some, but her voice is just not pleasing. Will . . . well, he makes a nice 3rd-placer.

Guest

Posted at 10:31 PM on December 16, 2013

Hands down, Tessanne is the winner. As she said in the rehearsals “Mash dem up!” I still don’t get what other people get with Jacqui Lee. Her ‘emotion’ is not natural at all and she does scream and shout and not sing. Give her few more years. Will’s voice is really sweet and he would be a good 2nd place contestant. Tessane is the Bomb!

Jamaicanchic

Posted at 11:17 PM on December 16, 2013

tru word mi friend

Cherri Roberson

Posted at 11:19 PM on December 16, 2013

I second that….but love Will too

Noelle S.

Posted at 11:25 PM on December 16, 2013

I totally agree! Been a Tessanne fan from day one (In Between Words) and the clarity, professionalism, and control in her voice is crazy!!!! Jacqui does have a good voice, but I think she made a mistake by choosing Christina as a coach. She has potential to do great things, but Christina only seems concerned with fashioning a “mini me” rather than providing her proper vocal training. She seems to strain a lot on her songs and sing from her throat, but rather than helping her with that, Christina is only concerned with giving her powerhouse songs. And Will is great too, I wish he came out of his shell a little earlier. But I know for all of them, this is definitely just the beginning.

Alicia Reknema

Posted at 11:57 PM on December 16, 2013

I totally agree with everything you wrote about JaqueLee probably being better off with another coach. Every time she kept saying, “You remind me so much of me at your age…” I just wanted to tell Christina to put a sock in it. I think she can be really sweet but did give JaqueLee too many power house songs and didn’t teach her the important nuances of reigning in one’s vocals. She does strain and scream a lot and is always ending up on her knees. I think artists are the most successful when they can change it up and have a good variety or if like with Carrie Underwood from American Idol, find one thing like country that they do really well and learn to hone that. They all will be getting recording contracts so you are also right that this is just the beginning for each of them. Tomorrow night should be interesting. I hope America gets it right!

droopydog88

Posted at 11:28 PM on December 16, 2013

Jacqui will have a brighter career ahead of her than Tessane. while Tessane has a more harmonic mature voice. Jacqui’s raw talent is so Christina Aguilera like its scary. Will gets props for being the last man standing so to speak.

Selmor B. Reid

Posted at 11:54 PM on December 16, 2013

She is almost too raw to win this show…because I have seen no growth in her ability to control and showcase her voice in different ways. She is a one trick screamer and does not deserve to win. Tessanne is a powerhouse who has many different abilities vocally…she is The Voice.

Antoye

Posted at 9:39 AM on December 17, 2013

Is this Christina or droopydog? Talk about ‘scary’.