Get our take on ‘The Sing-Off’ premiere, then tell us: Which group(s) are you rooting for this season?
The Sing-Off kicked off its fourth season Dec. 9, pitting 10 of the nation’s hottest a cappella groups against each other for a recording contract and $100,000 grand prize. With new judge Jewel taking in all the action, the 100 voices brought their A-game — but for one team, their best simply wasn’t good enough.
Sadly for The Princeton Footnotes, the first episode of the season was also their last. After a sing-off of *NSYNC‘s “Bye Bye Bye” — much to former boy-bander Nick Lachey‘s chagrin, I’m sure — the gents were bested by Florida-based VoicePlay.
‘The Sing-Off’ Season Premiere: 5 Favorite Performances
1. When the five distinguished gentlemen of Street Corner Renaissance took the stage, dressed in matching fedoras and plaid blazers, the last thing I expected them to perform was a killer doo-wop rendition of One Direction‘s “What Makes You Beautiful.” But they did, and it was perfection.
2. Who didn’t get chills listening to Vocal Rush‘s “Bottom of the River?” Vocal Rush may be the youngest group in the competition, but it also has the most soul; I can’t wait to see what else these high-schoolers have in store for us this season.
3. I might be biased about Element — the ladies recently visited HollywoodLife.com for an interview, and a performance of Lorde‘s “Royals” — but I loved their appropriately fiery cover of Ellie Goulding‘s “Burn.” Jewel got a little critical with the girls, but as the newest judge, I think she was just staking her claim to the panel.
4. I’m not a country music fan — by any stretch of the imagination — but even I was stomping my feet along with Home Free‘s performance of Florida Georgia Line‘s “Cruise.” Plus, that Austin? #DreamBoat
5. Even Ben Folds quivered at the might of Ten‘s vocals during “Tell Me Something Good.” The degree of talent in the group is unreal, and if everyone continues at this level, I see them lasting a long time.
HollywoodLifers, do you think the Princeton Footnotes deserved to be eliminated? Drop a comment with your thoughts on this season’s teams below!
— Andy Swift