‘Glee’ Recap: Rachel Gets Her Flirt On In New York City

Thu, November 21, 2013 10:15pm EST by 22 Comments
Glee Rachel Sam Flirting
Courtesy of Fox

Tyra, love triangles, and Billy Joel? Yes, that’s what we got on the Nov. 21st episode of ‘Glee’ when Blaine and Sam headed to the Big Apple to figure out their true dreams, and how to make them come true.

Sam (Chord Overstreet) realized what he really wanted out of life and that was to take his amazing voice and super hot stripper body in front of a camera as a male model. Lucky for him, he had the support of Rachel (Lea Michele) to get there.

Rachel In NYC — Is She Moving On?

Blaine (Darren Criss) performed at his fiancé’s work, and naturally took on “Piano Man” (while Sam suddenly could play the harmonica) — but he was still extremely worried about his big NYADA audition! However, Kurt (Chris Colfer) naturally stood by him, constantly reassuring him how amazing he was — c’mon Blaine, no one rocks a bow tie like you.

Sam first put his mind to college, but failed miserably at his first interview at Hunter College. And by miserably, I mean he couldn’t have been more offensive and rude to the woman interviewing him. However, Rachel picked him up (not by his new ponytail, although I kind of wish that happened) and helped him find his true calling — modeling. She set him up with an extremely sexy photo shoot in her own apartment and brought over a photographer from Funny Girl, because apparently they have free time.

I wasn’t especially happy about the awkward moment of sexual tension between Sam and Rachel, but at first, I pretended that didn’t happen. However, it didn’t end there! At his first agency meeting to become a big model, the head of The House of Bitchette, Mrs. Bitchette (Tyra Banks), told him he needed to lose ten pounds. Apparently her black eyeliner got in her eyes and she didn’t see him shirtless in the photos.

Rachel, Blaine, Kurt and Santana (Naya Rivera) reassured him that he was perfect just the way he is — yes, by singing. Oddly enough, Rachel and Sam kept looking at each other and dancing together — even Santana noticed. We know that Finn will never be far from Rachel’s heart (or her stomach), but could it be that she has a crush on Sam?

Marley Goes Out With Ryder Before She’s Ready

Meanwhile at McKinley, Jake (Jacob Artist) tried to prove to Marley (Melissa Benoist) that he wasn’t a jerk and really didn’t mean to cheat — at first. However, Marley told him that he’s always been that guy, and Ryder (Blake Jenner) called him out for being that guy. So, he decided to embrace it by singing “My Life.” I’m pretty sure that wasn’t Billy’s intent when writing the song. Ryder took the opening and went for it with Marley. Naturally, she said she needed more time since she became “newly single” about twenty minutes ago, but she’d think about it.

It was cute to see Ryder really present himself, tell her how great of a guy he was, which I totally believe, but c’mon — the girl needs a break! But when he took on Billy’s “Innocent Man” in the glee club, then asked her out again. . . in front of Jake, she said yes and Jake stormed out.

However, don’t fret just yet, Jarley fans. She told a very happy and overbearing Ryder after their date that just because they went out, it doesn’t mean they’re going out. And when Jake came over to flaunt his sexiness — I mean, his singleness in front of her, you could tell she was still not over him. So she’s taking her time and being single . . . for now. Good for you, girl!

What’d you think of this week’s episode?

– Emily Longeretta

More ‘Glee’ News:

1. ‘Glee’: 12 Hottest Guys Ever — Darren Criss, Chord Overstreet & More
  2. Rachel Berry Found The Perfect Way To Honor Finn Hudson’s Memory
  3. ‘Glee’: Sue Sylvester Calls Miley Cyrus ‘Insidious’ For Twerking

summer

Posted at 8:55 PM on February 14, 2014

I totaly think Rachel and Sam should be together. I saw the way they acted towards each other it was so cute. i can’t wait until February 25th.

Marsha Ann

Posted at 10:02 AM on January 22, 2014

Eww are you kidding me?? That’s insane right there! First of all Sam and Rachel have no chemistry at all! Thru have nothing in common either. Plus gt already made it clear to Rachel in season 2 that she wasn’t his type when she asked him to prom. Plus this is an insult to Finn and Britney. Sam always acts like he’s meant to be with the person he’s with forever but when they dump him he moves on quite quickly. I just say he has a hot body and that’s it. He should just wait for Britney to come back and Rachel find someone new.

Isabelle

Posted at 6:44 PM on July 23, 2014

haha i do agree, Brittany and Sam are good for each other & adding a new love interest for Rachel seems appealing ;)

elizabeth

Posted at 1:42 AM on January 12, 2014

i personally like the idea of sam and rachel. Finn will always be a part of her and he was her true love. But imagine if you were rachel you wouldnt stay alone forever. I think its a good idea for them to be a couple. i think they would be really cute together. But i really do miss finn and he made the perfect coulple with rachel.

erin

Posted at 9:38 PM on January 13, 2014

i agree with you

emily

Posted at 6:06 PM on December 19, 2013

i think Sam and Rachel should be together glee would be more exiting to watch.

folashade afolabi

Posted at 3:15 PM on December 2, 2013

Jake and Marley just have to get back together. They are the reason i watch glee these days. Ryder has always been bad friend to Jake. Ryder is a jerk.

Georgia

Posted at 5:06 PM on December 1, 2013

the possibility of sam and rachel is exciting! its important for rachel to move on and realize she can have more than one true love. yes, finn will always be apart of her and someone who she will always remember. but, the thought of her with sam would be different but good!

Http://howtotieabowtie.Org

Posted at 11:35 PM on November 27, 2013

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative
and entertaining, and let me tell you,you’ve hit the nail
on the head. The issue is something too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.

I’m very happy I found this during my search for something relating
to this.

Katie

Posted at 6:28 PM on November 22, 2013

What is with all the Samchel hate? Yeah it’s soon, but there was nothing more than a stare, no worries. I think they would be kind of cute actually. I think Rachel deserves to be happy instead of just staying single for the rest of the season(s) Sam is cute, funny and understands what she has been going through and I would rather her be with Sam rather than anyone else.

lah

Posted at 3:20 PM on November 22, 2013

Why does Rachel need a guy o be happy? Shes’ young and working on her career. She has friends with her and a social life. She would be better off with a puppy then a doofas like Sam.

This episode and musical numbers were okay, but none stood out or came close to any Billy Joel performances.

Why does Blaine dress like the fifties?

Lucy

Posted at 10:51 AM on November 22, 2013

1) I hate Marley
2) WTF he just broke up with Jake, like (2 hours ago)!!!
3) Like the idea of Samchel. Better him than any other guy like Brody (giac)
4) Yes, its to soon, but remember that we have only 1 season left, we want to see Rachel happy, and Sam is the best option.
5) Cheers Gleeks =)

Beth Spradlin

Posted at 9:31 AM on November 22, 2013

I love that Glee is exploring the possibility of Rachel having feelings for someone other than Finn. It is a natural human response to experience connections with others, even after the loss of a significant other. I am excited for the possibility of exploring these types of situations and questions that come after the loss of someone we love: Can I really move on from them? Is it too soon? What will people think of me? Am I betraying the one I love by doing this? I am really hoping that a story line in Glee can provide a refuge for even Lea Michele to be able to embrace her own process of moving forward, however and whenever she chooses.

Nat

Posted at 8:18 AM on November 22, 2013

Ilove the idea of rachel and sam but i do agree it is way to soon for her to be moving on…

aymar swan

Posted at 4:40 AM on November 22, 2013

very soon!!

Eunjiro Domingo

Posted at 6:36 AM on November 22, 2013

visit GATVERcom to watch the replay of this episode

Brii

Posted at 3:51 AM on November 22, 2013

I think gLee should keep it as real as possible. Flirting could be okay but nothing more. She just got a tattoo of Finn’s name for pete sakes. I think that Rachel’s story should end with Finn being her one true love and that is how it ended. Every possible gLee fan knew they were end game and they shouldnt write any further on her and relationships and keep her focused on other aspects. gLee will end soon anyways after season 6.

abraham

Posted at 12:05 AM on November 22, 2013

in the needs of a sperm donor?
well, MOVE OVER TO NEW YORK CITY!!

Jen

Posted at 11:19 PM on November 21, 2013

I don’t think it’s too soon for Rachel to move on; she’s technically been single for months and she’s young and deserves to be happy. But my eyes will never be ready for Samchel. I wasn’t a fan of Sam with Brittany and I’m not a fan of this.

Aiden

Posted at 11:15 PM on November 21, 2013

Please, NO with this Sam/Rachel relationship! Just– No.

Gunny

Posted at 1:39 AM on November 22, 2013

It’s still too soon for Rachel to be hooking up with anyone and I didn’t see any flirting on her part – she looked more uncomfortable than flirty. Eventually the show will write in someone new for Rachel, but it won’t be any of the Ohio gang. Plus, Ryan promised Lea he would not write in a love interest for Rachel this season. I think Jake was the only singer that came close to Billy Joel.

biff

Posted at 4:05 PM on March 19, 2014

I think tbe start of something fresh will be needed for Rachel. Finn would not want her to be alone forever. The show only has one more season. Rachel has to move on faster than lea does to get her story out. Take in to consideration that’ lea is not rachel. Its a fictional relationship with her and finn. Sh needs to show how she can put a devastation behind her and live happily. Grieve in a healthy way and show the fans how someone can live forever in your heart and learn how to love again. Sam is perfect for that because he loves finn and can love her and take care of someone finn loved to honor him. There is no better way. Good job on writing this soon to be love story. It will be awesome! !!!!
lll