‘Person Of Interest’: Fan-Favorite Character Killed In Shocking Twist

Wed, November 20, 2013 12:24pm EDT by 91 Comments
Person Of Interest Carter Dies
Courtesy of CBS

Spoiler alert: Stop reading if you don’t want to know who was killed on ‘Person of Interest!’

Is no one on TV safe anymore?! CBS’ procedural hit Person Of Interest murked one of its main characters on the Nov. 19 episode, leaving the team down a member — and the viewers completely stunned. But hey, at least we can be thankful that Reese wasn’t the character killed off. (Watching Jim Caviezel‘s torturous death in The Passion of the Christ was painful enough!)

‘Person Of Interest’: Carter Is Shot & Killed

Taraji P. Henson‘s Detective Jocelyn Carter turned out to be the victim CBS warned us about in a promo earlier this season, but even with advance warning, nothing could prepare viewers for how sad her passing would be. Carter died in Reese’s arms, the result of a direct shot from Officer Simmons (Robert John Burke.) Reese was also shot, but clearly, he survived.

Earlier in the episode, Carter and Reese had a heart-to-heart about death — foreshadowing much? — and how close John once came to biting the bullet, pun intended. John even showed her the bullet he almost killed himself with! He told Carter that he met her shortly after his near-suicide, and that he credits her with bringing him out of that dark place.

“You changed me,” he told her, before planting a big ol’ kiss right on her mouth-piece.

Sadly, this romantic little moment would be short-lived.

HollywoodLifers, were you shocked by Carter’s death? Will you miss seeing Taraji on the show? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

— Andy Swift

More Shocking TV Deaths:

1. ‘Sons Of Anarchy’: Shocking Death Signals The End Of An Era
  2. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Recap: Two Lovers Are Forced To Make A Sacrifice
  3. ‘Ravenswood’ Recap: Caleb Has His First Ghostly Encounter

Taressa post

Posted at 10:38 PM on January 21, 2014

They absolutely should not have killed detective carter . I stopped watching

Janetta Hall

Posted at 2:17 PM on December 28, 2013

Yes, yes, yes….. I mourn her death still, as if a member of my family died. I hate the show now. The new players are MEAN, VIOLENT, there are KILLINGS all the time. I will not allow my family to watch our favorite anymore, due to the violence. We see enough violence on the streets and in the schools and on the news. It is too much to have to watch it also on “Person’s of Interest”. Shame, shame, shame on you for the gross changes. I don’t think even Jim will save this show, now! Not for us anyway!!!! Saddened Fans in Glendora, CA.

Anne Marie tranquillo

Posted at 1:29 AM on December 17, 2013

I honestly do not like to see main characters killed off.All the main characters worked together as a team.t he extra drama of killing them off is not something I enjoy.

MJM

Posted at 1:35 AM on November 27, 2013

Hey! Do any of you watch NCIS? This is so common. Let’s see…first female killed by NCIS I believe was Kate, then Paula, next Jenny, and then Michelle. Killing the women hits the emotional center, and even though you feel like you will never watch again, you just cannot help yourself. You gotta know what is going to happen. They kill characters off if there is no chance they will be coming back to the show, and usually it is because the actor wants to leave. She’s not really dead, just that part of the story line. It is a multifaceted story, not the Carter show.

Deirdre

Posted at 5:02 AM on November 28, 2013

@MJM,

Well, Person of Interest is not NCIS which I don’t watch. Taraji didn’t say she wanted to leave at this time. In fact, the producer, Jonathan NOLAN, said he told her on Valentine’s day that he would be killing off her character. So, it was his choice. I think Taraji would have stayed on longer if they had allowed her character to grow more and fully work through many storylines that were possible for her. But, they didn’t want to to that. Plus, I’m not in the habit of watching shows to be tortured with a loss that feels like someone in my family died. That’s just wrong. They, the producers, have already said they’ll be killing off everyone because isn’t that fun ha ha?? No, it’s not, so I’m out.

Janetta Hall

Posted at 2:19 PM on December 28, 2013

I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maureen

Posted at 6:16 PM on June 7, 2014

I thought Joss’s character added a softness and intelligence to this show which it, full of so much violence, really needed. Without her we are left with a bunch of men and a couple of rather cold macho women. I like the show but I don’t know if I will continue to watch. It’s all well and good to have a cold edginess but the attraction of the show to me was that it was basically a fantasy where the good guys survive against all odds. I think it’s lost a great deal of appeal to me. If the writers were going for brutal realism where people we get attached to get murdered I’ll just stick to regular local real media where I expect the brutality to be.