Although the rapper reaffirmed his plans to continue his collaboration with the high-end retailer, their kickoff event has been cancelled due to, ‘unforseen circumstances.’
A party scheduled for Nov. 20 to celebrate the Jay-Z and Barneys collaboration has been canceled. “Due to unforeseen circumstances, the event has been canceled,” read a statement released to the WWD from Barneys. The Barneys-sponsored event was a fundraiser for Jay-Z’s charity, the Shawn Carter Foundation. The news comes after a controversial start to the partnership. After the retailer was accused of racially profiling black costumers, the music mogul’s fans pleaded with him to quit the collaboration, however, Jay-Z announced his plans to continue his partnership with the brand and is even adding a fragrance to the line provided that he can assume a leadership role and handle the issue of racial profiling. While the collaboration is going strong, it looks like there won’t be a big launch celebration after all!
Barneys New York Jay-Z Party Canceled:
“I have agreed to move forward with the launch of BNY SCC collection under the condition that I have a leadership role and seat on a council specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling,” Jay-Z said in a statement on Nov. 15.
Along with the changes to leadership, the brand has also announced that now 100 percent of the proceeds will benefit the Shawn Carter Foundation, (although initially 25 percent of the proceeds were going to the foundation). Barneys will “donate the remaining 75 percent — so that 100 percent of sales from the ‘BNY SCC’ Collection benefit the foundation,” the statement said.
Jay-Z’s holiday collection with the high-end retailer was created to capture the essence of NYC. Both Barneys and Jay-Z partnered with fashion houses from the likes of Balenciaga, Balmain, Lanvin, Rick Owens, (to name a few!), to creat limited-edition products inspired by the city that never sleeps in a black, white, gold, and silver color palette. The items are scheduled for a Nov. 20 release, where they will be available at the BNY SCC Gallery, a space dedicated to the partnership between the music mogul and the retailer.
“With this project, Barneys New York and I were able to take the slickness, energy, and innovation of New York City and translate that into quality, timeless pieces,” said Mr. Carter in a statement that can be visible on the Barneys New York site. “Everything that encompasses ‘A New York Holiday’—the items chosen, the amazing designers that participated, the windows, the design of the BNY SCC Gallery—represents a perfect example of a unique and groundbreaking collaboration that I hope demonstrates how inspiring New York has been to me.”
While the collection has yet to be released, it was already in danger of being canceled before it even launched after racial profiling allegations were brought to light. The mogul responded on his site, saying, “I move and speak based on facts and not emotion,” the statement said. “I haven’t made any comments because I am waiting on facts and the outcome of a meeting between community leaders and Barneys. Why am I being demonized, denounced and thrown on the cover of a newspaper for not speaking immediately?”
What do you think about the new terms of their partnership?
More Jay-Z News:
- Jay Z Under Fire To End Fashion Deal With Barneys Store, Accused Of Racial Profiling
- Jay-Z & Beyonce vs. Kanye & Kim K: Who Made $95 Million This Year?
- Chris Brown: Did He Diss Jay Z In New Tweet About Beyoncé?