‘The Voice’ Recap: Matthew Schuler Dominates Top 10 Night

Mon, November 18, 2013 11:11pm EST by 16 Comments
Matthew Schuler The Voice Top 10
Courtesy of NBC

Which two singers deserve the boot after the Nov. 18 episode? See our picks, then share yours!

The Voice‘s final 10 singers assembled Nov. 18 for a live two-hour battle of epic proportions. Yes, it was punctuated by a few weird moments — like a random “hello” from Olympian Usain Bolt and a super-awkward group number — but the 10 singers were eventually given their individual moments to shine. Our personal favorite of the night was Matthew Schuler, who soared high above his competition with a powerful rendition of “Beneath Your Beautiful.” Without a doubt, he’s the best guy left in this game.

‘The Voice': Top 10 Finalists Perform Live

Team Blake’s Austin Jenckes got things rolling with a bombastic performance of The Outfield‘s “Your Love,” which the judges unanimously enjoyed. Not only did Austin do his coach proud, but Christina Aguilera even said the song “took us there!”

Jacquie Lee was up next, but unfortunately, she didn’t carry on the show’s momentum. Maybe it’s because Austin set the bar as high as he did, but I was totally underwhelmed by Jacquie’s stripped-down rendition of Zedd and Foxes‘ “Clarity.” She struggled with the performance, and the coaches took note.

Fortunately, Will Champlin got things back on track with his performance of “Love Me Again.” His piano skills and vocal prowess were a winning combination, and coach Adam Levine said his pupil did a “great” job. I agree!

Caroline Pennell kicked things up a notch with “Leaving On A Jet Plane,” putting a big ol’ smile on her coach’s face. “Nothing makes me happier than for you to be happy,” Cee Lo Green told her — and with high praise from all four coaches, Caroline was definitely looking happy.

Last week’s stand-out performer, Cole Vosbury, was slightly less dynamic tonight — but that still makes him better than at least half of the other contestants. Even though his take on “To Be With You” left more to be desired, there’s no way he’s going home tomorrow night.

Tessanne Chin was up next, and as always, Team Adam’s solid siren gave it her all. Crooning “If I Were Your Woman,” Tessanne absolutely gutted the coaches, the audience and everyone watching at home. Adam told her this performance solidified her as a major contender — as if she wasn’t already!

While Tessanne is an intimidating act to follow, Ray Boudreaux might have actually been better! He’s really been upping his game as the season progresses, and tonight’s performance of “You Are The Best” was no exception. Christina noted Ray’s improvement, telling him he’s “shown the most growth.”

But Christina had considerably less kind words for James Wolpert after he sang “Without You.” Noting his struggle with the higher notes, she told him the pitch didn’t always “line up.” But at least she told him he was “super clean.” Always good to end with a compliment!

Fresh off last week’s controversial save, Kat Robichaud proved she belongs in the competition with — what else — “We Belong!” Cee Lo even called her performance “immortal,” and I can’t possibly think of a higher compliment.

And then there was Matthew, who I already gushed about. As far as the guys are concerned, he’s the one to beat!

HollywoodLifers, who was your favorite singer of the night? And which two deserve to be sent home tomorrow? Cast your vote above, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts below.

— Andy Swift

More ‘Voice’ Coverage:

1. Blake Shelton: Christina Aguilera Has ‘The Voice’ Team To Beat
  2. Kat Robichaud Should Not Have Been Saved On ‘The Voice’
  3. ‘The Voice’ Recap: Top 10 Revealed After Fans Tweet To Save Kat Robichaud

ann

Posted at 1:13 AM on November 20, 2013

I agree with you about Mathew ,I am
hoping Mathew doesn’t win because Christina is so thinking he is the winner ,I’m absolutely shocked that everyone think Matthew is so good,Tessanne and Cole V sing much better

Anjou

Posted at 11:07 PM on November 29, 2013

You must not be a true music fan!

Karl

Posted at 10:25 PM on November 19, 2013

Tessanne all the way,best singer by far.Can someone tell me why Blake never comments on Tessanne’s performance

Rosalie Bernard

Posted at 12:02 PM on November 20, 2013

Some people think it’s because she’s Jamaican. Say it ain’t so Blake!

Anjou

Posted at 11:08 PM on November 29, 2013

Because she’s nothing more than a generic version of Aretha Franklin.

JM

Posted at 4:48 PM on November 19, 2013

I think Christina is doing a great job this season. She gives more constructive feedback than most of the coaches. And, last night it was Jacquie’s singing and not the song choice that did her in.

I fine the above review so off the mark! First, Cole V is likable but c’mon, he can’t hit any notes outside his small range. Matthew murdered (not in a good way) the beginning of his song. James had rough patches (and I hated that song choice) but did really great. Tessanne sings great but I’m tired of all the diva songs; would like to see her mix it up.

Am I crazy? :-)

TLynnMartn

Posted at 3:09 PM on November 19, 2013

I don’t like Christina – in fact she irritates me. She is not as nice to the other contestants as Blake, Ceelo, and Adam are. I almost feel like she sat Jacquie up with that awful song choice.
I am already hoping Mathew doesn’t win because she is so thinking he is the winner and the show isn’t even over.

Akelly Rand

Posted at 1:04 PM on November 19, 2013

I can’t believe until i saw the bank draft which said $7150, that my younger sister is actually making this money in their spare time from their computer.. she has done this in less than 16 months & recently paid loan on appartment.. Recently …….. I JOINED HIM TOO. Know here what to do… ••►► CLICK56.COM

Deedee

Posted at 1:01 PM on November 19, 2013

I agree with Roger. Did you actually watch this show? Ceelo was NOT happy with Caroline despite what he said. And it wasnt a good showcase for her voice.

Roger

Posted at 12:24 PM on November 19, 2013

I’m absolutely shocked that you think Matthew was “high above his competition” last night. Did you watch the show? Matthew is good but he was in no way the best last night. Tessanne was far better than him. And she is the best vocalist in the competition hands down.

TLynnMartn

Posted at 3:09 PM on November 19, 2013

Agreed 100%

Rosalie Bernard

Posted at 4:30 PM on November 19, 2013

I absolutely agree with you. I sometimes can’t figure out what some people think they are hearing. I could not even distinguish the words at the beginning of Mathew’s song. The music was so above his vocals at the start. If that was considered amazing, then Tessanne was absolutely, totally mind-blowing. She has been flawless in all her songs and she alone owns that distinction. Obviously, way ahead of the rest. Probably that’s the problem. Tessanne is always expected to do great, so when someone else does good, it’s an “aha” moment. Much like horse racing really. When an outsider wins, it pays a lot more. In this case, more attention is given. Please, I am really not comparing these young people to horses……..just the situation!

Angel FahReal

Posted at 9:11 PM on November 19, 2013

Agreed Rosalie

Angel FahReal

Posted at 9:09 PM on November 19, 2013

I agree 100% Roger.

Anjou

Posted at 11:07 PM on November 29, 2013

No way! Tessane is so overrated. She’s a generic version of Aretha Franklin. What’s up with Adam gushing over her all the time. It’s annoying!

floranceunxn

Posted at 10:07 AM on November 19, 2013

Black Men Dating White Women,White men Seeking Black Women on
—————- BlackMenDatingWhiteWomen.o/r/g————. Thousands of Black Men, Black Women, White Men and White Women Free Join Here Everyday.Here a 100% safe, serious and real community for black & white single seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.