ABC News correspondent Amy Robach inspired the world with her bravery Nov. 11, when she announced her plans for a double mastectomy live on ‘Good Morning America. Amy was tested for breast cancer for a segment on the show, and a routine check-up revealed a horrible diagnosis.
Amy Robach, 40, is one tough lady. On a live GMA segment on Nov. 11, the renowned journalist announced she’d be undergoing a double mastectomy on Nov. 14, after an on-air mammogram led to the shocking discovering that she has breast cancer. Read below to find out everything you need to know on the seasoned TV vet.
Five Facts About Amy Robach
1. She’s a former beauty queen. Amy was both Miss Gwinnett County and the 4th runner-up to Miss Georgia back in the early ’90s.
2. She’s married to former Melrose Place actor Andrew Shue — and they have a seriously impressive brood. The duo met at a book party in 2009, and were engaged mere months later. Shue has three sons from his first marriage, and Amy has two daughters, Ava and Analise, from hers.
3. She’s a chameleon. Despite the fact that she’s made a name for herself on ABC, Amy actually got her start over on NBC. After four years on NBC News the talented journo headed to Weekend Today in 2007, where she acted as co-anchor for almost six years. During that time, she interviewed everyone from disgraced former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich to Lindsay Lohan.
4. She’s tight with GMA legend Robin Roberts. Amy — along with anchor Elizabeth Vargas, who is currently in rehab for alcohol addiction — frequently subs in for Robin on GMA. It was Robin who convinced Amy to get the breast cancer test that Amy says saved her life.
5. She has a very impressive roster of interviews. Amy has been known to switch from the Honey Boo Boo clan to families affected by the tragic Sandy Hook shooting at the drop of a hat.
There’s so much more to talk about when it comes to Amy, but that’s what happens when you’re dealing with such a seasoned (and talented) TV vet. HollywoodLife.com‘s thoughts are with Amy and her family as she navigates this difficult time, and we’re hopeful that she’ll be back and better than ever in no time!
– Shaunna Murphy