ABC News’ Amy Robach Undergoing Double Mastectomy For Breast Cancer

Mon, November 11, 2013 10:52am EDT by 5 Comments
Amy Robach Breast Cancer
Getty Images

Amy Robach made a shocking announcement Nov. 11 on ‘Good Morning America': The journalist will soon undergo a double mastectomy for breast cancer.

Amy Robach, 40, only took a breast cancer test because Good Morning America anchor and breast cancer-survivor Robin Roberts asked her to for a live, on-camera segment. Her results were shocking, and now the well-known anchor has announced her plans for a double mastectomy on Nov. 14.

Amy Robach’s Cancer Diagnosis: ‘Hard For Me To Say Out Loud’

Nobody expects to hear the worst when they go in for testing, so Amy was in for the shock of a lifetime when her live, on-camera mammogram for Breast Cancer Awareness Month was followed by terrible news. Amy was called in for a routine post-show check-up, where her doctors told her she had cancer.

“The diagnosis that’s still hard for me to say out loud — I have breast cancer,” Amy, the wife of actor Andrew Shue, said on Monday’s GMA segment. “I know that I have a fight ahead of me. But I also know that I have a lot worth fighting for.”

Amy Robach: “No Excuses” When It Comes To Testing

Amy was understandably emotional when she chatted live on-air with Robin, who she claims saved her life. “It’s absolutely surreal to be sitting here,” Amy said. “But as scary as it all is, I’m so so lucky, because you guys pushed me to that mammogram. Thank god you did, I wasn’t in any rush to have that done any time soon.”

In a post on ABC’s health blog, Amy said that her main hope is that her story can serve as an inspiration for others. “I can only hope my story will do the same and inspire every woman who hears it to get a mammogram, to take a self exam,” she wrote. “No excuses. It is the difference between life and death.”

HollywoodLife‘s thoughts are with Amy and her family during this difficult time.

– Shaunna Murphy

More Breaking News:

1. ABC Anchor Elizabeth Vargas Enters Rehab For Alcohol Addiction
  2. Justin Bieber: Did He Diss Taylor Swift In ‘All Bad’?
  3. Scott Disick Sports Huge Beard & Walker After Death Of His Mother

Charles J.Elner

Posted at 6:32 PM on November 15, 2013

Dear Amy,
I watched you all the time on GMA and NBC you are one brave lovely woman

sdsdsds

Posted at 12:02 PM on November 12, 2013

JUSTIN BIEBER SLEEPING WITH A FAN WATCH AND LIKE——>>>> /watch?v=nLw9I5g2oRA

Lisa & Mike Timek

Posted at 11:51 AM on November 12, 2013

Dear Amy,
My wife also had Double Mastectomy 2 years a go, and last year she had reconstructive surgery at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia Pa.
I know it was devastating to both her and I emotionally and physically to her. Please remain strong and think positive. My wife is now Cancer Free and is very happy with her reconstruction even though it was quiet painful as compared to the Double Mastectomy.
My wife was in her early 40’s when we found out about her Breast Cancer, we have two beautiful children so she had her mind up to have the Double Mastectomy because when the Cancer was discovered it was only in her one Breast but two weeks later during surgery the discovered it was also in her other breast. It was a blessing in disguise that she opted for the Double Mastectomy as opposed to the Single Mastectomy.
We will keep you in our prayers every day because we know what you are going thru Mentally and Physically.

Rhonda

Posted at 9:36 PM on November 11, 2013

What about the clear scientific evidence against the general use of screening with mammography (see Rolf Hefti’s “The Mammogram Myth: The Independent Investigation Of Mammography The Medical Profession Doesn’t Want You To Know About”)?

abraham