Jay-Z: I’m Being ‘Demonized’ Over Barneys Racial Profiling Accusations

Mon, October 28, 2013 2:43pm EST by 6 Comments
Getty Images

Jay-Z finally broke his silence regarding whether or not he plans to continue working with Barneys on their collaboration after the store was accused of racially profiling two black customers. Do you agree with what he had to say? VOTE.

The 43-year-old entrepreneur continues to make his mark, this time with his collaboration with the upscale department store on a New York-inspired holiday collection. The collaboration between Jay-Z and Barneys, set to debut on Nov. 20, has come under scrutiny in the wake of the latest news. Fans are hoping he will drop his project with the luxury retailer due to the fact that the store was accused of racial profiling, however, he made it clear that it’s too soon for a decision to be made — at least in his book.

Jay-Z’s Response To Barney’s Controversy:

Fans have been anxiously awaiting Jay-Z’s response. The rapper has been surprisingly silent since the first report of the department store’s racial profiling on Oct. 23, but he didn’t stay quite for long, taking to his site on Oct. 26 to release a statement regarding the controversy. Ever since the news broke his fans have been outraged. They created a petition ordering the rap mogul to drop the project on Change.org, however, the rapper plans to do otherwise.

“I move and speak based on facts and not emotion,” the statement said. “I haven’t made any comments because I am waiting on facts and the outcome of a meeting between community leaders and Barneys. Why am I being demonized, denounced and thrown on the cover of a newspaper for not speaking immediately?”

While some thought his silence was insulting, he was clear to point out that he is waiting for more information to weigh in. “The negligent, erroneous reports and attacks on my character, intentions and the spirit of this collaboration have forced me into a statement I didn’t want to make without the full facts,” he said.

The mogul also came under fire when it was implied that he cared more about making money off the deal than the situation at hand. He was quick to point out that it was the Shawn Carter Foundation, (which provides college scholarships to students in economic hardships), would get 25 percent of the sales from the deal. “This money is going to help individuals facing socio-economic hardships to help further their education at institutions of higher learning. My idea was born out of creativity and charity… not profit.”

He went on to say: “making a decision prematurely to pull out of this project wouldn’t hurt Barneys or Shawn Carter but all the people that stand a chance at higher education. I have been working with my team ever since the situation was brought to my attention to get to the bottom of these incidents and at the same time find a solution that doesn’t harm all those that stand to benefit from this collaboration.”

Jay-Z also made it clear that he isn’t taking the situation lightly. “I am against discrimination of any kind but if I make snap judgments, no matter who it’s towards, aren’t I committing the same sin as someone who profiles? I am no stranger to being profiled and I truly empathize with anyone that has been put in that position. Hopefully this brings forth a dialogue to effect real change,” he said.

What do you think? Do you agree with his reasoning or do you think it’s time he drops the collaboration for good?

– Ava Hill

More Jay-Z News:

1. Jay Z Under Fire To End Fashion Deal With Barneys Store, Accused Of Racial Profiling
  2. Jay-Z & Beyonce vs. Kanye & Kim K: Who Made $95 Million This Year?
  3. Chris Brown: Did He Diss Jay Z In New Tweet About Beyoncé?

Lisa 7

Posted at 5:37 PM on October 28, 2013

HA HA HA! GOOD! Now, lets talk about REALITY! You are black. You call other people N*GGERS! Margret Chow is Asian………MAKES FUN OF HER MOTHER! I’m Italian…………………..I’m a ginny. Wendi Williams is upset about BLACK FACE?! She was “LUCY………..I LOVE LUCY ON HALLOWEEN! We (WHITE PEOPLE” didn’t freak out. I think you “PEOPLE” are still uncomfortable about YOUR OWN SKIN COLOR! Julieanne Hough DID NOTHING WRONG! Even Whoopi was with Ted back in the day. IT IS “HALLOWEEN” STUPID! You people, yes I said “YOU PEOPLE” are SO IMMATURE! It’s a funny time. Nobody is making a racist thing. I went as a pregnant peter pan, Michael Jackson, and other things. Oh yeah, Dorethy. Please. All in DRESSING UP! NEVER THOUGHT OF RACE! You guys have the problem. I was NEVER out to hurt ANYBODY! All need to get a life. Wendi especially. Talks about EVERYBODY, Biggest bully EVER, but it’s ok for her to be I LOVE LUCY IN WHITEFACE?????????????? TWO WAY STREET??????????????????? GET OVER IT! Good for you HOUGH! DO NOT SAY YOU’RE SORRY! FOR WHAT?> Having fun at a friggin party? This is AMERICA! Land of the free ,home of the brave. BE BRAVE GIRL! Sick of everything we say and do………….is a friggin issue. LOVE YOU GIRL!

Abetterplace

Posted at 10:35 AM on November 25, 2013

Reading bull-crap late and you have to be insane !!!!! If anyone is uncomfortable is you!!!!! Why want to be someone you evidently hate!!!!! All that you are so over the racism talk is pure crap when you keep throwing it at us and you sick of us! Well……were sick of all the BS too!!!!! So if you want it to change then start with yourself and never make stupid comments again. When your friends make a joke about blacks….instead of laughing…..shut it down. You can start with you and the rest will fall in line. Don’t treat blacks like second hand citizen’s and they won’t conduct themselves as such.

Laila

Posted at 4:09 PM on October 28, 2013

This is all stupid. I’m black and if it was me who was profiled I wouldn’t have been upset with the store, only the individual(s) who profiled me. People are just money hungry. I’m not surprised they are suing now. If it was truly about justice I would have rather been given a public appology. It is pathetic to want money from the people you believe think less of you…

PS if this was a white woman who were accused of credit card fraud, would this even be in the news? Don’t think so.

Billy

Posted at 7:56 AM on November 1, 2013

But the white lady would have sued right?

Damn!

Posted at 2:57 PM on October 28, 2013

I’d say even if the deal goes through, don’t shop at Barney’s.
He’ll just have to come up with some other way for the charity to make money. He always does.
He’s a hustler and he already has some other deal waiting in the wings I’m sure.
The charity will survive.
DON’T SHOP AT BARNEY’S!!!!!!!!!!!

Daria J. Wayne (@DariaJWayne)

Posted at 3:02 PM on October 28, 2013

Paige recently got a nice year old Chevrolet Equinox SUV from only workin part-time on a home pc. official statement>>> Fb39.COM