The 24-year-old high school teacher was enthusiastic about math and really passed on her love of learning to her students. Here’s what you need to know about the beloved Andover, Mass. native who was tragically killed on Oct. 22.
Colleen Ritzer was horribly murdered outside of the Danvers, Mass. school where she worked. Learn more about the young Danvers High School teacher’s heartbreaking story.
Colleen Ritzer: Things To Know About Wonderful Danvers High School Math Teacher
1. Colleen taught honors geometry, college preparatory algebra 1, and college preparatory geometry at Danvers High School.
2. Colleen reached out to her students on social media sites to encourage them to get enthusiastic about math. She actively maintained a Twitter page and class website where she posted homework assignments, answered her students’ questions, and even interacted with them by tweeting them congratulations on their successes and happy birthday wishes.
3. She graduated magna cum laude from Assumption College in 2011. There, she majored in math, and minored in psychology with a concentration in secondary education, reported Heavy. She put all of those specialties to great use as a high school math teacher, because she also reached out to students through her blog – titled “expect nothing and appreciate everything,” – where she focused on helping kids ease the worry about “fitting in.”
4. The Boston Red Sox honored Colleen at Fenway Park on Oct. 23, the night after her death. The team held a moment of silence for Colleen throughout the stadium after her students and others who were touched and rattled by her tragic story started a viral social media campaign to have her honored.
5. Collen was an avid Pinterest pinner. Her page even featured math humor and equations. Tragically, one of her boards was a “Bucket List,” full of things that she hoped to accomplish or experience. Heartbreaking pins on that board include “marry the love of my life,” “take his last name,” and “have a daughter and name her after my grandmother.”
Colleen’s accused killer, 14-year-old Danvers High School Philip Chism, was charged with her murder at his arraignment hearing on Oct. 23. He will appear in court again on Nov. 22.
WATCH: Danvers Teen Charged With Death Of High School Math Teacher
– Kristine Hope Kowalski
More Tragic School Violence News:
- Student, 14, Arraigned In Court After Danvers High School Teacher Killed
- 14-Year-Old Boy In Custody After Teacher Found Dead Near High School
- Sparks Middle School Students: Why Shooter Wanted To Kill Classmates