‘Project Runway’ Winner Dom Streater Reveals: How I Won

Fri, October 18, 2013 2:03pm EDT by 8 Comments

Congratulations, Dom! The designer reveals her secret to winning in an exclusive interview with Hollywood Life!

Dom Streater persevered through season 12 with one goal in mind: beating out her competition and bringing home the winning title of Project Runway! Now she just has to decide one thing- what to design next! She will receive a whopping $500,000 to design her next collection, and if it’s anything like we’ve seen this season, it will definitely be fabulous!

Dom Streater Wins Project Runway:

This season of Project Runway was particularly fierce because so many contestants were amazingly talented. The final challenge was a difficult one — design “washable fabrics,” along with finalizing the makeup, hair, and fittings before presenting it at the finale during Fashion Week. “I didn’t want to get caught up in the drama, so I kept my distance. I wanted to keep things professional,” she tells us when discussing her big win — and that’s not all!

She also became the first African-American to win the show. “I’m honored to be the first, and I want to set an example. But race is not really a huge factor. I’m really happy that I was the first, really honored. I want to set an example, but race should never be a huge factor, I want to be judged on my talent,” she said.

At the finale show, contestants Alexandria, Justin, Brandon, and Dom battled on the runway in front of judges Tim Gunn, Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Zac Posen, and special guest judge Kerry Washington!

Dom really stuck out during the last presentation because she took risks, (like sticking with bold prints and modern silhouettes), and it really paid off in the end! When she is finally declared the winner, Dom breaks down in tears of joy. Although she is getting a huge sum to start a new collection, she says it’s not all about the money. “It’s not like,\ I need to make money,” she told the judges. “It’s like, I need life. This is my life.”

Throughout the season, Dom said the person who offered the most and best advice was judge Tim Gunn, ” I got more advice from him than anyone else. He told me to be myself and trust my gut instincts, and that really went a long way throughout the competition.”

Dom certainly showed her impressive fashion sense on this season of Project Runway, so what do YOU think of her collection from this season? Were you rooting for her from the start? COMMENT and tell us below!

WATCH: Heidi Klum Talks ‘Runway’ Finale

– Amanda Silverman

More Project Runway News:

1. ‘Project Runway’ Season 12 Finale Recap: [Spoiler] Wins
  2. ‘Project Runway’ Season Finale Preview: Who’s The Big Winner?
  3. ‘Project Runway’ Recap: See Who Made It To Fashion Week

Stef

Posted at 10:40 PM on October 19, 2013

What’s up with all the exclamation marks in this story?

And congratulations to Dom, a well-deserved win.

Michael

Posted at 4:19 PM on October 19, 2013

Her collection was tacky, the prints were God-awful. I am shocked she won. There were a few pieces which were just flat-out horrible. Andrea definitely had the cooler, more sophisticated collection.

Sandi

Posted at 8:01 AM on October 31, 2013

That’s why you’re commenting and not judging, you don’t know jack about fashion. Dom was clearly the winner from start to finish!

Keisha

Posted at 1:00 PM on October 19, 2013

Congratulations Dom! You truly deserved it!! You were my favorite from episode 1. Your personality was beautiful inside and out. I can’t wait to purchase your clothes!

Donna

Posted at 1:11 AM on October 19, 2013

I am pleasantly surprised especially since this is the first time an african american person has won. Happy that it was Dom because she never made the bottom and she stayed humbled. I also loved Jason, Bradon and Helen’s work and look forward to seeing them doing something fantastic. As for Alexandria, while she was not my favorite personally, she did have an edge that I believe would be loved by the younger crowd and I hope to see her clothing in stores as well.

Donna

Posted at 1:13 AM on October 19, 2013

OMG I meant to say Justin not Jason!!! A big oops. I believe Justin will be a great designer and he will make it. I am cheering for him.

Char

Posted at 7:17 PM on October 18, 2013

Doms Collection was FAB-U-LOUS! Watch out world as a new DIVA of style changes the landscape of the fashion world!

Lauren

Posted at 3:00 PM on October 18, 2013

I really wish that you would have put “Spoiler” as the header. Was planning on watching this tonight and being surprised…so much for that.