Make no mistake, ‘Ravenswood’ WILL become your new ABC Family addiction next week — and HollywoodLife.com has five teases to prepare you for the big premiere.
Caleb Rivers (Tyler Blackburn) takes a one-way bus to Ravenswood after the Pretty Little Liars Halloween special Oct. 22; and after getting an early look at the highly anticipated spin-off, I’m more eager than ever to nab a seat on that bus myself. The pilot wastes no time, diving head first into the show’s central mystery, allowing viewers to discover the town’s secrets along with Caleb and his crew.
As for the titular locale itself, creators Marlene King, Joseph Dougherty and Oliver Goldstick have truly outdone themselves. The town of Ravenswood feels like a Hitchcock movie come to life, with dashes of Twin Peaks and ’80s horror sprinkled throughout. I’m sure most of that was intentional, but regardless of where the creative trinity got its inspiration, the result is hauntingly beautiful — and dangerously inviting.
I can’t give too much away about the Ravenswood series premiere, but I can present five reasons why you need to tune in. (As if you need any more convincing.)
5 Reasons To Love ‘Ravenswood': Cliffhangers, Chemistry & More
1. Caleb & Miranda’s Chemistry: From what I see, Caleb and Miranda (Nicole Anderson) share more than just the same stylist — they also have major sparks! Even though they’re just friends on the pilot, and there’s no concrete evidence that they’ll become anything more, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get together down the road. Their banter is fun, and their chemistry is electric.
2. A Hint Of Hanna: Even though Caleb spends most of his time with Miranda during the pilot, he’s hardly forgotten his girlfriend back in Rosewood. There’s a nice “Haleb” moment on the first episode of Ravenswood that I think you’ll really enjoy.
3. The New Kids: Every single member of Ravenswood‘s core five — Caleb, Miranda, Remy (Britne Olford), Olivia (Merritt Patterson) and Luke (Brett Dier) — is crafted to perfection. They all play a crucial part in the unraveling of the show’s big mystery, in addition to each of their own layers I look forward to peeling back as the show goes on.
4. Crazy Cliffhanger: If the final moments of the pilot are any indication of how future episodes will end, you can pretty much guarantee you’ll conclude each hour with your jaw on the floor. I suggest leaving a few pillows down there just in case.
5. It’s Spooky & Supernatural: While Pretty Little Liars is largely grounded in reality — or, at the very least, is constricted to the laws of time and space — its spin-off has a strong supernatural current running throughout. It’s introduced gradually as part of the overall mystery to ensure it doesn’t alienate skeptical viewers, but once it hits, you’ll be hooked. (Don’t watch with the lights off!)
Are you planning on checking out Ravenswood, HollywoodLifers? Drop a comment below, telling us what you hope to see from the Pretty Little Liars spin-off!
WATCH: ‘Ravenswood’ Promo
— Andy Swift
- ‘Ravenswood’ Scoop: Hanna & Caleb’s First Reunion Revealed
- ‘Ravenswood’: Caleb Faces Darkness (And Shirtlessness) In New Trailer
- ‘Ravenswood’ Trailer: First ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Spin-Off Footage Revealed