Stop Hating On Fit ‘What’s Your Excuse?’ Mom Maria Kang

Wed, October 16, 2013 7:30pm EDT by 25 Comments
Maria Kang Fat Shaming
Courtesy Of Facebook/Mike Byerly Photography

Davis Rivas

Posted at 11:32 PM on September 21, 2014

Fat women just can’t handle it; they can’t take criticism. It is obvious that all the hate toward Mrs. Kang stem from pure jealousy. Of course they will mask that jealousy with nonsense like ‘I don’t want to look like you, that’s my excuse’ or ‘you’re just a self-center attention grabbing btch’.

funksoul6

Posted at 8:13 AM on November 8, 2013

She looks awesome and works hard to stay that way. The people who are critical of her are most likely fatties who (1) don’t know the first thing about the science behind diet and exercise, (2) just want a gorgeous, toned body to magically just happen for them, (3) are probably Obama voters who really don’t know what it is to work hard for something the really want and regard it as “unfair” that others, regardless of how hard they work, have something that they don’t.

briannaBrianna

Posted at 11:12 PM on October 19, 2013

I think a lot of people are reading WAY too much in to this picture – I don’t know if it’s annoyance or guilt or what. No where is this woman shaming or belittling anyone – she’s simply stating that it is possible to both be fit, and to raise three children – it is not impossible to work out and be a parent. If being fit simply isn’t a priority to you, well, then – that’s your excuse. Own it. If you really want that extra hour of sleep, the time to unwind in front of the TV, a dinner out, to engage in your hobby, whatever – that’s fine, that’s your reason, but it doesn’t mean ‘you don’t have time to be fit’, it just means you use that time to do other things. And that’s fine! But acting as if 20, 30 minutes of exercise five times a week is simply an impossible, unreachable goal that only the unemployed/rich/childless/bad parents can figure out is crazy. We need to be honest with ourselves and own our decisions. Like right now, I’m choosing to sit on the couch and type this instead of going for a run. I’ve prioritized (badly), but it’s my time and my decision. Whatever.

cordeliablythe2

Posted at 9:51 PM on October 19, 2013

If her photo showed her work, instead of her body merely an object to be “enjoyed” we wouldn’t be here now.

Jenny Beadle

Posted at 4:05 PM on October 18, 2013

I’m sticking by her! I’d love to be as disciplined as she is! WAY TO GO, Mrs. Kang! Those of us who are not mad at the world or mad at ourselves… or jealous… Are inspired by your dedication!

People don’t seem to understand that NOT taking care of yourself… is selfish! Your children NEED you to be healthy. They don’t want to bury you when they’re in their 20s or 30s.

Laurie

Posted at 12:37 AM on October 18, 2013

Well, I just read that most of her is “fake”, implants, etc. Like I said, she is not like a “regular mom”, like she wants you to believe and like she stated.

bryan

Posted at 12:00 PM on April 8, 2014

Sources?

trial muscle xlerator

Posted at 1:32 PM on October 17, 2013

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find
this topic to be really spmething wich I thgink I would never understand.
It seems too complicated and very broad for me.
I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

jessica

Posted at 1:10 AM on October 17, 2013

I am more angered at your comment “stop the jealousy and start the sit ups!”. I’m not jealous of this woman at all, but I think some of her responses are very stupid. I don’t have abs – and I wouldn’t want them! I don’t think that is attractive on a woman and my husband agrees. Just because people dislike other people does NOT mean they are jealous. And she did not get those muscles from 30 minutes of exercise. That is hours of gym time. Maybe 30-60 mins will maintain. But I call bull crap on that

Stella

Posted at 12:59 AM on October 22, 2013

the very fact that u wanted to vent out your frustration is a testimony to the very thing that u r trying to debunk! “ohh its not her…” “ohh its the caption” “OH My husband thinks so..” cut the crap lady u r plain jealous!

Laurie

Posted at 12:46 AM on October 17, 2013

It’s funny she didn’t mention anything about a JOB ouside the home. I could probably look like that too, if I didn’t have to work at least 40 hours a week and still do everything at home that she does with a husband who does very little to help. If this is the case…she is not a “regular Mom” like most of us who have to work for a living.

Elissa Lan Murray

Posted at 1:30 AM on October 17, 2013

Maria Kang does have a job, it just offers more flexibility than a typical 8-5 job with commute. She runs two care homes for the elderly and founded a nonprofit to promote physical fitness for kids and families. She saves time by not watching TV and fitting in workouts before her boys wake up and using a gym that offers child care. Honestly, she’s far more driven and positive than I’ll ever be, but that doesn’t make me want to tear her down. I follow her on Facebook and find her to be very motivating.

Jenny Beadle

Posted at 4:33 PM on October 18, 2013

AMEN, Elissa!!

Jason Weishaupt

Posted at 4:49 PM on October 17, 2013

She owns two retirement homes and a non-profit fitness center. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/16/maria-kang-fat-shaming_n_4108246.html

Leah

Posted at 9:53 PM on October 16, 2013

The women hating on her are just jealous and don’t like being called out for being unhealthy. The ones who insinuated that she was a bad mom are probably the same ones who are overweight after having their children and use their children as an excuse to be unhealthy and not loose the weight!! Stop hating and do something!!!

xcvzxvxn547

Posted at 9:41 PM on October 16, 2013

xcbxcb

Ale

Posted at 9:35 PM on October 16, 2013

Yea yea, as US and the whope world kees getting fatter and fatter we crtizice this mom that its only trying to inspirate thise moms who keep making up excuses to be fat and raise fat children… Be fat and obese is not normal, and will never be. Just because the food chains are trying to convince you that it’s ok to be fat does ‘t mean that it is.
Feed yourself well, fruits, veggies and no processed food. Do physical activities at least 30 min. Three times at a week and you will see how better mom and example you become to your children.
FAT IS NOT THE NEW BLACK, SKINNY Eather…. Normal it is… Well nutrition and sports will not give you a six pack, but an amazing and lo ger life to enjoy with your kids !!
Stop bullying maria !!

Emmieri@yahoo.com

Posted at 9:17 PM on October 16, 2013

I think she looks great but her comment is condescending. She should have said something better. Not everyone can look like her but she looks great and not hating. I think the headline thru people off because you don’t know what is going on in people’s lives to say what is your excuse

Stella

Posted at 1:02 AM on October 22, 2013

why is it even provocative? when i read the article, the caption did not bother me. i bet there are many who would agree! i just saw a beautiful woman with three beautiful kids. it actually prompted me to work that lazy butt of mine and start strength training again. its your world view that matters.

John Dagne

Posted at 7:54 PM on October 16, 2013

If her children get interested in keeping fit for life then she has given them a great gift. Children often times will mimic adult behaviour. If her kids are encouraged to move their legs and arms then what a great Mom.

Lisa 7

Posted at 7:52 PM on October 16, 2013

ONLY JEALOUS PEOPLE would think this was an insult. YOU GO GIRL!

Mrs. wright

Posted at 7:41 PM on October 16, 2013

Rather than saying “what’s your excuse?” She could have said something motivational if that was her intention. The headline could have said “If I can do it, so can you”. Her comment is a jab at women who are not as fit. There are a million excuses, one of which is some people have physical disabilities, comments like hers that will in no way come off as motivational. Everyone is not as blessed in the physical appearance department, come on…she is a model, it is her job to look good. Some moms have to go to work and are not able to be in the gym for hours everyday. She does look great and good for her, but maybe she should read a book on motivation while she is on the treadmill!!!

Emmieri@yahoo.com

Posted at 9:19 PM on October 16, 2013

Well said

Ali

Posted at 9:42 PM on October 16, 2013

By the way. You don’t need to be in the gym for hours to look fit. With well nutrition and 30 min of physic activities at home 3 times at a week is more than enough.

bryan

Posted at 12:04 PM on April 8, 2014

I don’t think there was anything wrong with that caption. If anyone felt bad reading that, then that is just them projecting their own insecurities and reading too much into things.