Fit Mom Flaunts Abs & Asks ‘What’s Your Excuse?’ In Controversial Pic

Wed, October 16, 2013 4:25pm EST by 41 Comments
Fit Mom What's Your Excuse
Courtesy Of Facebook/Mike Byerly Photography

Brooke

Posted at 12:16 PM on December 10, 2013

I’m sorry I don’t get what the problem is that this girl is promoting a healthy lifestyle. Those who complain about this are upset that they’re being called out. If you don’t care how you look, feel or about your overall health and CHOOSE to skip exercise and eating healthy that’s your problem. Don’t blame this mom for looking as great as she does because you choose to not take 30-60 mins out of your day to workout. Question to those who use the EXCUSE that they don’t have time: How much time do you spend in front of the tv daily or doing things that really don’t benefit you in any way? Maria is totally correct, it IS an excuse and she knocked out most excuses by proving that you can be fit and healthy while being a mom, a working mother at that. I don’t see her as being a “show off” she’s proving a point, a great one! I’m a personal trainer and the biggest issue is that most people don’t know HOW to workout properly or make it a lifestyle. It’s not about cooking cutter diets it’s about learning and identifying what your macronutrients need to be for YOUR body. Instead of being fat and proud of being fat which yes will eventually put you in the hospital, stop worrying about your looks and focus on being healthy for your children, women. Now that’s something to be proud of, not sitting on the coach stuffing face and then hating on those who choose to live a fitness lifestyle. The looks just come as a bonus. And this is something I can scientifically argue all day. People, stop making excuses for yourself and make a decision to be healthy!!!

Ganeshan

Posted at 6:11 AM on October 19, 2013

There are people with health issues that are not their own making and there are people with no time to exercise, trying to make a living and/or issues such as emotional or family problems. Spending a bit of time to exercise will make almost everyone happier and healthier. You do not have to have six pack abs or go to the gym to exercise, to be fit healthy and be happy! I am talking from my own experience. Hope this helps.

david

Posted at 1:56 PM on October 17, 2013

Do nice things for nice people………..nice like you!!!!

H

Posted at 9:00 AM on October 17, 2013

I think the reason for controversy is not the photo itself..its the title/caption. I could have read something more like “you can do it too!” …encouraging as apposed to arrogant

Mich Elle

Posted at 6:45 AM on October 19, 2013

I totally agree. She does look great and that’s amazing, especially after having a baby only 8 months previous but the issue is with the caption. It implies that other women who have had children have no excuse to not to have a body that looks like that when we know that most women don’t have a body that looks like that after childbirth. I have 2 little ones and another on the way and I’m okay with the fact that my body does not look like that. What’s Maria Kang’s excuse for perpetuating gender norms and unrealistic body images for women?

Tracie

Posted at 7:52 PM on October 16, 2013

She is awesome and good for her. Personal responsibility is the only thing that can save us individually and as a country. I struggle with my weight. Some days are better than others but make no mistake….if i eat a cupcake, it is on me..
No excuses. Im 52 and am 5 feet 3 inches and weigh between 145 and 155 on any given day. When i paid strict attention i weight 135. So I’ve got more work to do. So what, life is a journey. I feel better at 135 too so back to the gym i go. Take responsibility people, you are the only one who can fix you. Own it.

Mich Elle

Posted at 6:49 AM on October 19, 2013

But I think the controversy is actually evident in the fact that women spend a lot of time feeling bad about themselves because they weight 150 pounds as opposed to 135 pounds, or feel like they should weight a certain amount or should look a certain way. For women a lot of self worth is connected to physical appearance, specifically to body weight and body shape, and that in itself is problematic. I don’t have any excuses why my body doesn’t look like that but I have many many reasons why my body doesn’t now look like that, nor why I probably shouldn’t feel pressure to have it look like that.

Kris

Posted at 7:46 PM on October 16, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this… I mean hey she looks great and has 3 kids and wants to show off her body… great!? Not so much. I am 31 and I have a 9 month old daughter… I got back to looking fit (just like her) very quickly. There are some women who have a harder time getting back their body after having a baby. I know some of them and they are doing what they can. Some women are naturally a bigger size but healthy and they feel great about themselves. I don’t think its the way you look or how fit you look. It seems to me like she just wants to show off saying.. hey look at me I had 3 kids and look like this! If she wants to inspire women who WANT to get fit and lead a healthy lifestyle then I think the caption should NOT be “whats your excuse”. I can go on forever about this topic so i’ll stop now before I go on a longer rant! And I agree Pippa…. Everyone is different! Well said.

Pippa

Posted at 6:30 PM on October 16, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this. If she felt really bad about the way she looked and it made her depressed etc then she has every right to do something about. Hell I think everyone moans about their insecurities but only a handful of people will actually do something about them. On the other hand, I do see this as being slapped in the face. Women who have a child/children will be more concerned about their kids than how they look.
Also it depends on how your body was or is before you were pregnant, for example there was a woman who had twins or triplets and 2 or 3 days later her bump went back to normal, whereas another person it could take longer. Everyone is different.

Kim

Posted at 5:57 PM on October 16, 2013

I think this is totally subjective, depends on the persons and depends on the situations all the american moms are living, you can’t compare all moms and say they’re all equal… everybody is different….and nobody is living the same thing at the same time… There’s genetic, psicological and time problems for everybody… People make excuses? YES!….but some of them are actually very valid.. you can not ask a mom to chose beteween woking out or work to get food on the table… or working out or taking care of her children….. She looks awesome! and i congratulate her for putting herself into shape, and i agree with a lot of stuff she says… but she can’t compare her situation with the rest o woman on this country… also i found a little bit suspicious the fact she can workout, take care of her 3 children, clean de house, make food and have a job…

Time to go

Posted at 4:55 PM on October 16, 2013

She looks fabulous!! Anyone making excuses is just jealous. Good for her.

Jakob Stagg

Posted at 4:08 PM on October 16, 2013

She’s got to be a freak of nature. Yes, she looks good. Someone else has to be doing everything for her to have time to take that kind of care of herself.

Roachcreek

Posted at 4:14 PM on October 16, 2013

It is a pretty simple equation, if you take in more calories than you burn, they get stored as fat.

Steph

Posted at 4:03 PM on October 16, 2013

I mostly agree with Maria – but I think if her point was to sound encouraging to a bunch of busy, overweight moms, then she wasn’t very smart with the wording of her ad. “What’s your excuse” isn’t encouraging. “If I can do it, you can!” is how you sound encouraging. Now, if her point was to make an ad that would sound slightly divisive and offensive (but debatable) enough to get a gang of comments, an article, and a bunch of us jibber-jabbering about it online – thereby catapulting herself into a sweet 15 minutes of fame – then her ad was pure genious.

Charles H Bartlemay

Posted at 4:02 PM on October 16, 2013

I am a 64 male, fit and have abs,

But I eat right, low carb and one solid meal per day, and I exercise 5 days per week.

I have done 66,000 pushups in the last 10.5 months, the original goal was 64,000 for my 64th year. It bugs the heck out of the couch potatoes my age. I can’t begin to tell you the negative input I get from people who don’t eat right and do not exercise and have to rationalize their poor health habits.

I repeat her remark, “what’s your excuse.”

Marsha

Posted at 4:16 PM on October 16, 2013

You don´t have small children to take care of either and are more than likely retired. Makes a big difference.

Inspired

Posted at 8:10 PM on October 17, 2013

I truly agree =) she is inspirational and should be to other people. I’m currently pregnant and am exercising and eating healthy and I intend to remain fit and healthy when this baby is born so I can live my life to the fullest with my child.
I think that if people who have nothing nice to say shouldn’t say anything at all and maybe stop being so sensitive.
It’s clear that she is proud of what she has done and good on her. How would any of you like it if she criticized you on losing weight and looking fantastic.
And shame on you for having a go at a 64 year old. Where you never told to respect your elders?.
I think they are inspiring as well.

anniegathers

Posted at 3:59 PM on October 16, 2013

Photoshop fake tan fake hair nose job…that all aside don’t personalize your question to women who don’t have nannys and air brushed family pics and do take adult accountability for what you address to the public like a grown woman. The term haters is so juvenile. But hey its your job to push your kids off and workout.

Mckee

Posted at 3:57 PM on October 16, 2013

How on earth could she work full time and not have a nanny or babysitter? Could you work full time with 3 kids and no babysitter? No. The only way possible is if her husband watches the kids and most of us don´t have a husband that is home to watch our kids while we work. She is obsessive about exercising and is flaunting it. More power to her if that´s what she wants to do but don´t tell me you do all of this and take full care of your 3 kids at the same time. There is no way. Do all of you people who are cheering her really believe this?

rh

Posted at 3:53 PM on October 16, 2013

Uh, I don’t own a fitness company and I work 40 hours per week mostly sedentary?

Your probably a whale

Posted at 3:51 PM on October 16, 2013

the 43% who said it was hurtful are just fat slobs, get off your computer and go exercise….

Curiously Enough

Posted at 3:50 PM on October 16, 2013

Maria, you are to be commended for your determination and focus. Life is never “easy” and we all have struggles. Thanks for being an inspiration and putting it out there!

Sticks and Stones

Posted at 3:50 PM on October 16, 2013

Love her response. “What you interpret is not MY fault. It’s Yours. Wish we could go back to the days where you could say what was on your mind without having to worry about if it would *offend* someone. At the rate we’re going we won’t be able to say or do ANYTHING in public without having to apologize for it because someone took it the wrong way

Mckee

Posted at 4:02 PM on October 16, 2013

Sounds kind of witchy to me.

George the Jerk

Posted at 3:48 PM on October 16, 2013

nice abs, ugly kids

Time to go

Posted at 4:56 PM on October 16, 2013

You are disgusting and rude.

Tracie

Posted at 7:57 PM on October 16, 2013

Really? Grow up please. Never insult someone’s kids. You obviously don’t have any….most likely a good thing.

Renee

Posted at 3:48 PM on October 16, 2013

You are freaking idiots. There are many reasons why women are unable to lose weight, and it’s not about excuses. Hormone related diseases or syndromes such as; thyroid disorders, polycystic ovarian syndrome, high levels of testosterone, pituitary gland disorder, etc; that cause many women to balloon and struggle to even lose a pound. Also it’s been shown that women with many different allergies can have weight issues and its not because they’re lazy or eating sh*t. People need to stop thinking that just because a demographic of people are able to achieve such ‘perfect proportions’ that it must be easy for everyone.

Stephen Moore

Posted at 4:54 PM on October 16, 2013

Renee. As a father of two young daughters I am radically opposed to the modern Western idea of feminine beauty. I don’t want my wife or my daughters’ self-image to be shaped by what turns men on. I want them to know that they’re beautiful whatever they look like.

HOWEVER, I don’t think Maria is suggesting that every single women is supposed to look like her or would even choose to put in the work and self-denial to approach her results. My wife has had three children and doesn’t look like Maria. Could she? Maybe. Will she? That’s up to her. As a family we don’t value that “skinny/fit” ideal of body image. But if she chose to arrange her schedule and work she could shape her body.

It is true that certain conditions make it difficult to lose weight. However, the VAST majority of men and women are overweight by lifestyle choice. Period. I’m not talking about looking like Maria. I’m talking about healthy weight. I’m 30 lbs overweight. I can have excuses or results, not both.

Look, whether you have an addiction, diabetes or a pituitary gland disorder, you can still make wise choices. Most overweight people don’t. Myself included. I ate two 12 ounce bags of M&Ms by myself this week. No one forces me to drink soda, eat processed food or refined sugars. There is an obesity epidemic in America. People don’t get fat drinking water and eating vegetables. Period.

I don’t think Maria is talking to the minute minority (2-5%) of Americans who struggle with maintaining a healthy weight because of medical reasons. You and I need to stop making excuses for ourselves and the 95% of overweight people who are just making poor lifestyle choices. It is those people Maria is talking too.

I don’t believe women should all look like Maria. Few have the drive, time or energy, but I’m sure no doctor ever told anyone that it was impossible to affect weight gain, even with a pituitary disorder.

Her response was great. Either you’re a victim or a victor. It’s your choice. Nothing can keep you from improving your life if you choose.

Blue Fanatic

Posted at 3:40 PM on October 16, 2013

Very well said, Maria. We can all make time to exercise and eat better….some just choose not to. Be proud of what you’ve accomplished and please ignore the ignorant!

Kittens4

Posted at 4:11 PM on October 16, 2013

I hope she is eating better because she used to be bulimic. Her business is exercising so it´s much easier for her to make time for it but she doesn´t need to tell me she has no babysitter (even if it´s her husband) if she works full time. There is no way.

AKG916

Posted at 3:38 PM on October 16, 2013

I don’t think it is fat shaming. Good for her she looks great. Kind of gross to be half naked with your kids sprawled all over.

Tank Rothchild

Posted at 3:25 PM on October 16, 2013

She may not have a personal trainer, or a nanny now, but she did. Working out in the gym 8 hours a day while someone else watches your kids is a great way to get fit but horrible way to be a mother.

Tony

Posted at 3:31 PM on October 16, 2013

Tank, you’re probably not very good at either. Her workouts aren’t 8 hours. Unlike she has direction and discipline.

Stephen Moore

Posted at 5:00 PM on October 16, 2013

Are you suggesting that a mother who spends 8 hours away from her children is a “horrible mother”? I think a lot of working mothers would take issue with that sentiment. So what if their job takes them to the gym, the office or the boardroom. Criticism of others often stems from jealously or excuses.

Geezer1948

Posted at 3:18 PM on October 16, 2013

You don’t need to apologize to anyone, Maria…you (and your abs) are gorgeous! And I’m a 65 y.o. grampa who’s been married for 42 years.

Kat

Posted at 1:36 PM on October 16, 2013

SHe couldnt have said it more PERFECTLY!!!! AWESOME!

Roachcreek

Posted at 4:25 PM on October 16, 2013

Before I was retired I had small children, a full time occupation and still exercised and ate right and was as fit as I am today.

Eating right and exercising is not as easy as making excuses but excuses will not get you a healthy body.

Interesting article on sugar in the National Geographic last month. Basically it is what makes us fat, robs us of the energy we need to exercise and addicts us.

Needless to say I avoid it like the plague, and no I am not diabetic and don’t care to be.

But like it has been stated here, if you take in more calories than you burn and it is stored as fat.

Excuses are simply rationalizing your failures.