Girls, 12 & 14, Arrested For Bullying 12-Year-Old Classmate To Suicide

Tue, October 15, 2013 10:37pm EST by 23 Comments
Rebecca Sedwick Bullied
Courtesy of Facebook Courtesy of Polk County Sheriff

How tragic! 12-year-old Rebecca Ann Sedwick committed suicide on Sept. 10 after she suffered from severe bullying by her former friends. The two girls that allegedly were behind the torment were arrested on Oct. 13 after they bragged online about their involvement in the bullying.

Katelyn Roman, 12, and Guadalupe Shaw, 14, were arrested in connection with the death of their classmate and former friend Rebecca Ann Sedwick. The girls allegedly tormented her for being “ugly” and were arrested when one girl reportedly posted a truly terrible message to her Facebook page about Rebecca’s death.

Rebecca Sedwick Bullied To Suicide: Bullies Arrested

The names of two tweens were released by police on Oct. 15 after they were arrested.

One disturbing, hateful social media message prompted the girls’ arrest in Rebecca’s case.

“Yes IK [I know] I bullied REBECCA nd [sic] she killed her self but IDGAF [I don't give a f***],” Guadalupe allegedly posted on her Facebook page on Oct. 12.

Authorities quickly reacted to the message. “We decided that we can’t leave her out there. Who else is she going to torment, who else is she going to harass?” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said about the police’s decision to arrest the girls, reported The Daily Mail.

“Several students corroborated stories of both girls bullying Sedwick on different occasions, through name-calling, intimidation, threats to beat her up, and at least one actual physical fight,” the sheriff said.

Rebecca Sedwick Terrorized By Classmates

“Rebecca was ‘terrorized’ by as many as 15 girls who ganged up on her and picked on her for months through online message boards and texts. She jumped to her death from a tower at an abandoned concrete plant on September 10,” reported The Daily Mail.

The bullying reportedly started over the girls’ interest in a boy.

WATCH: Missing Polk Girl Found Dead Of Apparent Suicide

More Terrible Bullying News:

1. Ashley Riggitano: Facebook Bullying Fueled Depression & Suicide
  2. 7-Year-Old Gets Plastic Surgery To Avoid Bullying
  3. Adam Lanza: Sandy Hook Shooting ‘An Act Of Revenge’ From Bullying

Merman Thomas

Posted at 12:11 PM on October 17, 2013

the authorities have finally taken better measure. It’s really long due bullies get theirs back.

Ellie

Posted at 7:43 PM on October 16, 2013

R.I.P Rebecca. Such a shame. She was a beautiful girl and the bullies were like ogers.

sophie

Posted at 7:31 PM on October 16, 2013

Bullying is a big and very real problem that needs to be stopped. I’m very sorry for that family and I really hope those two girls will get a proper punishment. And for everybody out there suffering from bullying: ASK FOR HELP PLEASE. DO NOT KEEP IT TO YOURSELF BECAUSE THAT’S WHEN THESE KIND OF STUFF HAPPENS. You WILL find someone out there who’s gonna help you and who’s gonna be worth living for

valentinomonroe1

Posted at 12:00 PM on October 16, 2013

I used to defend people at school and friends respected that it only takes 1 person to make a stand and what those 2 girls did they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.Looking at their pictures it’s like they were jealous of their friend because they look like they have the exorcist in them especially the first one.The rest of the 15 girls should have been arrested with the 2 but now they will be looked at weird by the whole school for being bullies.People if kids are being bullied to this extent change them to another school,talk to the parent’s and bullies,more can be done than letting it escalate to this point.

Becky

Posted at 9:23 AM on October 16, 2013

This is why we teach our kids to fight fire with fire. Most bullied are nothing but jealous cowards.

R.I.P Rebecca

crystal

Posted at 10:01 PM on October 16, 2013

i agree! she was beautiful and those 2 girls were the ugly one’s with the way they acted. they were just jelous. what a tragic shame.

joannajocelyn381

Posted at 8:17 AM on October 16, 2013

“Start working at home with Google! It¿s by-far the best job Ive had. Last Monday I got a new Alfa Romeo from bringing in $7778. I started this 9 months ago and practically straight away started making more than $83 per hour. I work through this link, >>> xurl.es/u236q

Victus Umbra

Posted at 8:28 AM on November 22, 2013

You are terrible. absolutely terrible. This page serves as a memorial to this girl, and here you are advertising about a job that has nothing to do with her! Its people like you who have NO LIFE! screw your job with google, screw the money you make, and if you got SUCH a good job, why are you advertising it? you know you might make less money if more people work here. I hope you get fired and go to hell for not caring about this child.

RaeRae

Posted at 7:10 AM on October 16, 2013

I got into a fight just the other day after school. Many one of the mean girls who goes to my school. Posted it on YouTube. I told my principal and now that girl is gonna get expelled for what she did

RaeRae

Posted at 7:08 AM on October 16, 2013

Memory of Rebecca❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

vamide

Posted at 6:18 AM on October 16, 2013

parents should teach their children to have a conscience, how can you look a fellow human in the eye and say hurtful things.
parents should also teach their children to be strong, if people are bullying you and saying hurtful things to you, ignore them, don’t fall into their trap of words. children needs to know whose opinion matters and whose doesn’t.

guessed

Posted at 6:01 AM on October 16, 2013

I think she was absolutely beautiful. What a tragic loss….

gOOSHH

Posted at 5:46 AM on October 16, 2013

OMG, such mean guuurls!
R.I.P Rebecca!
Many ppl in my school has taken suicide! :(
It’s very sad, and has 2 b stopped!

maureen

Posted at 3:25 AM on October 16, 2013

Sad. Truly sad. This is why parents SOMETIMES should allowed to discipline their children in peace. Such unbalanced children (bullies) would be fewer in the American society. Who knows? Maybe their parents are rhat way too. These problems often begin at home.

LissaCaldina

Posted at 1:58 AM on October 16, 2013

Ayana Rashed

Posted at 12:47 AM on October 16, 2013

Reblogged this on Imarashed.

abe

Posted at 12:39 AM on October 16, 2013

don’t blame these kids.
………..BULLYING is of all times in all lows of the society.

remember when you were that age!!

maureen

Posted at 3:28 AM on October 16, 2013

I remember when i was that age. I never bullied anyone and no one ever bullied me. Don’t make excuses for those ill-bred brats

Don't put your hands on me!

Posted at 9:31 AM on October 16, 2013

@Abe,really?
I NEVER bullied anybody. People tried to bully me. but I had Older siblings that came to my defense.
If these kids know this kind of behavior won’t be tolerated, they may actually start to think before they act.
If you don’t like someone, you should have nothing to do with them.
When you go out of your way to constantly go after a person, that says they are on your mind all of the time.
People like that need professional help, because they are sick in the head.
Don’t put it down to age either. age is not an excuse.

Don't put your hands on me!

Posted at 12:01 AM on October 16, 2013

Kids no longer know how to truly socialize and communicate on a normal level.
If all the electronics exploded tomorrow what would they do?
Also the parents of the bullies,I guess weren’t monitoring their children’s activities.
Do parents even teach empathy anymore?
God this is so sad.
I hope every one of those kids that bullied this poor child would never get another wink of sleep until they did something nice in Rebecca’s name to try and make up for tormenting her.
To many kids acting like sheep and following an idiot rather then stand up for whats right.

Damn!

Posted at 11:44 PM on October 15, 2013

this is exactly why I don’t let my 12 year old daughter use social media.
No Twitter,Facebook,Instagram or any of that crap.
If she isn’t on there nobody can use anything against her.I dare a bully to call my house.
Technology has in a lot of ways ruined our world.
R.I.P. Rebecca.

disgusted

Posted at 1:47 PM on October 19, 2013

Kids who bully others to this extent each need to have a hot paddling administered to their back sides and then get sent to New Beginnings Academy in Missouri. They are extremely strict with the troubled kids that are sent to them, but kids like the ones that bullied Rebecca to the point of suicide need this type of discipline administered to them everyday until they turn 18 years of age. That home will be used hopefully to turn this type of lowlife around for the good.

This home will not allow kids to have any cell phones, Ipods, or any other type of comfort like this.

Sunday