‘Ink Master’ Finale: Why Joey Hamilton Deserved The Win

Wed, October 9, 2013 2:01pm EDT by 14 Comments
Ink Master Winner
Courtesy of Spike TV

On the season three finale of ‘Ink Master,’ it all came down to Joey ‘Hollywood’ Hamilton, Tatu Baby and Jime Litwalk — and I was extremely pleased with who won!

The finale of Ink Master had me on the edge of my seat on Oct. 8 — and for the first time, I thought the judges may not choose anyone since they were so hard on all three of the finalists!

‘Ink Master’ Finale: Jime, Tatu & Joey Go Head To Head

Throughout the season, I was a huge fan of Jime Litwalk. His artistic ability was incredible, and his line work and precision was flawless.

However, along with the rest of the contestants and eventually the judges, I realized that if it wasn’t a new school tattoo — or something that could have a new-school feel about it, his thriving would turn into surviving.

But after 20 years of experience, he should be able to do every style. Because of his love for new school tattooing, he was into doing non-proportional pieces . . . which made him struggle on any realism that needed to be proportionate.

The second finalist was Tatu Baby — the artist who was sent home in season two but the fans voted to bring back. Of course, as a woman in the competition, I would have loved to see her win.

However, midway through the season I noticed that she has a huge advantage over everyone else, already knowing how the judges will react, and what her strengths and weaknesses were — and she still wasn’t improving.

Her work wasn’t bad, but the consistency was missing — a factor that really can’t slip by, especially for someone who had a second chance.

The Right Person Won The Title

This brings me to Joey “Hollywood” Hamilton.

I never thought I would like anyone with the nickname “Hollywood,” until I realized how incredibly talented Joey was. (However, I still can’t help but think of the “Hollywood” who was stuck in a cage during most of Hocus Pocus.)

Sure, Joey was cocky and wasn’t exactly as laid back as his nickname claimed, but I really believe he started strong, and each week just got better and better. I was completely won over after week seven when he did a flawless tattoo of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Now I know some of you out there don’t agree with me — and I want to know why!

Vote for who you think deserved to win the title of Ink Master, and then tell me why in the comments below!

WATCH: Ink Master Finale: Joey

Ink Master

– Emily Longeretta

More Tattoo News:

1. Lea Michele Paying Tribute To Cory Monteith With New Tattoo — Report
  2. Selena Gomez Shows Off Henna Tattoo On Her Foot Before Dubai Concert
  3. Kristen Stewart Gets A Tattoo In Nashville — Confirmed

karen fabiola navarro sotomayor

Posted at 12:35 PM on May 19, 2014

Venho curtindo todos os episodios desde o começo de ink master e concordo plenamente com o julgamento e resultado final, o atista que mostrou seu crescimento sem fazer confusão ou se envolver em brigas ou comentarios maldosos.

saturn8

Posted at 2:39 PM on October 13, 2013

The whole finale was awful to watch, it was just 2 hours of people talking smack about each other under the guise of a season recap with little time spent on the finalists or the second chance candidates. Boring as hell.

Pamela

Posted at 2:38 PM on October 13, 2013

Emily, as someone writing about Hollywood life, you should have had your facts correct when referencing a movie…In Hocus Pocus, “ice” is the one who spends most of the movie in a cage (although saying “most” of the movie is also innacurate”), “Hollywood” is the nickname ‘ice’ and his hoodlum friend give to max, the main character, after learning he moved to Salem from L.A. While this has nothing to do with who won Ink Master, as far as that goes I agree whole-heartedly with the judges decision, but as I said before, if you’re going to reference a movie, get the facts straight first.

Tonka Thor (@tonkatuph)

Posted at 8:27 AM on October 10, 2013

The show is a fraud. Joey definitely deserved the win. But based on the criteria for each challenge, based on being versatile Jime Litwalk didn’t deserve to be in the finale. Jime it seems is somewhat of an icon in the tattoo industry and I think he was on the show to keep people watching, mostly his fans. He’s a great new school tattoo artist, but in no way did he demonstrate that he could do anything else besides new school. The whole idea behind inkmaster is that you can take all genres and make the ideal tattoo for that genre or style. Jime failed at this miserably.

The judges were hard on tatu baby because conceptually they didn’t get her piece and maybe the placement was a little off, but on a whole Tatu Baby’s blew Jime’s out of the water completely.

Lorraine

Posted at 12:31 AM on October 10, 2013

His pieces all through were freaking awesome and I think his last and final piece was way way better than jimmy ‘s hands down I mean the turtle and those fish come on now I’ve dive a lot and dude you can’t tell those from being under the water from real life they looked real they were amazing !!!!!! But yeah could have used some black , I hated Jimmy’s piece it was tacky to much ! Way over the top I would deff not wnt to wear that piece the rest of my life yuck !!!!! I got lost in the back ground could really tell what the hell it was , way toooooooi busy ,

Dawn Demelo

Posted at 12:24 AM on October 10, 2013

GLAD Joey won ! I think Josh was better than Tatu Baby ! And I lost respect for Chris with his comments to Josh !

albert

Posted at 12:04 AM on October 10, 2013

jimi used more skin for his canvas versus than just a leg…jimi used more of everything than joey…35hr job would goto jimi…joeys tattoo was too simple compared to jimis

ariadne

Posted at 10:24 PM on October 9, 2013

Tatu baby should have bern sent home a long time ago…the judges played favorites with her…

Claudine

Posted at 5:01 AM on January 9, 2014

Yes they favoured her cause she was sucking their little penises off camera!!

profit123

Posted at 9:29 PM on October 9, 2013

Love sees no color. My friend Ann has just married to a handsome black man.Just GO TO~~~ ( MixedPartner.c0m ) ~ —-A Serious interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.Date an ideal interracial match can never be easier! Join us to have a special mixed relationship.

nesa

Posted at 6:23 PM on October 9, 2013

Big fan of the show i have watched every episode. I knew joey will win because he has never been in the bottem and because every week the judges really never had anything bad to say about his work

JB

Posted at 4:22 PM on October 9, 2013

Tatu Baby was horrible, she should have never made it into the finale over several others that didn’t make it. I am so glad that Joey won, he deserved it.

scoot

Posted at 10:58 AM on October 10, 2013

It got to the point where I had to watch Tatu Baby on mute. She wined and complained better than she tattooed. Josh isn’t a bad tatto artist, but he really dug himself a hole by being such a douche. Hell, he even had the judge, a respected artist, telling him that he was “done” and “no one would want him”. That was harsh. He played the game, but he played it wrong. He’s going to lose business from being on this show. I know it’s a show and the producers probably told the contestants that they needed a lot of drama, but I just couldn’t get over how nasty everyone seemed to be with each other. Be HUMBLE. You can “play the game” and still be a good guy. People don’t want to see all that crap. I would’ve been a lot happier with this season if the artists just would’ve been civil with each other. Maybe this season will rub off on the artists next season and there won’t be such negativity. I watch because I like to see that tattoos, I’m not watching to see all that drama. If so, I’d just watch soap operas. I liked Jason Dunn halfway through, but the last few episodes and the finale cemented my opinion that he was the biggest douch of them all….even more than Josh. I wouldn’t go to him for a free tattoo. I wish he knew how bad he came off and that he (I hope) will lose business over the crap he said late in the season. He’s a huge hypocrite, and I hope he finds out that people think that about him.

Maryellen Galloway

Posted at 9:47 AM on October 15, 2013

I agree with you, Scoot. Everything you stated was on point, from Tatu Baby to Jason Dunn. Someone does need to tell the show that we don’t need all of the negative, bashing drama where the tattoo artist “diss” each other.

Like you, I can do without that-please just do your job-and tattoo! Leave the judging to the judges-and they do a wonderful job.