Tom Hanks Reveals To David Letterman: I Have Type 2 Diabetes

Tue, October 8, 2013 12:16pm EDT by 7 Comments
Tom Hanks Diabetes 2
Courtesy of CBS

Tom is known for doing anything to create a good film — this includes drastic weight gain and loss for iconic characters he’s played in films like ‘Castaway’ and ‘A League of Their Own.’ However, it has caught up with him, he revealed on the ‘Late Show with David Letterman’ on Oct. 6.

Tom Hanks appears to have it all– an amazing wife, a successful career, and multiple Academy Awards. However, he has now revealed that he has to focus more on staying healthy since his doctor diagnosed him with Type 2 Diabetes. So sad!

Tom Hanks Tells David Letterman: I’ve Got Diabetes

The 57-year-old star visited Late Show with David Letterman to promote his new film Captain Phillips, but actually dropped a sad announcement – that he’s been struggling with high blood sugar since he was 36.

“I went to the doctor and he said, ‘You know those high blood sugar numbers you’ve been dealing with since you were 36? Well, you’ve graduated. You’ve got type 2 diabetes, young man.”

However, he remembers the importance of keeping everything funny and light-hearted. “Something’s going to kill us all, Dave,” he joked.

He also said that his doctor told him he should go back to what he weighed in high school to be healthy again.

“And I said to her, ‘Well I’m gonna have Type 2 diabetes,’” he said laughing. “There was no way I was gonna weigh what I weighed in high school! I was 96 pounds.”

Was Tom’s Diabetes Caused By His Weight Loss For Roles?

The award-winning actor has taken on various roles where he’s had to drastically gain and lose weight. For A League of Their Own, he gained 30 pounds; for Castaway, he dropped 55!

Dr. Holly Phillips told CBS News that the father of four should still be able to “live a perfectly normal life” since the diagnosis, but will have to “watch what he eats very closely” and “exercise regularly.”

“In dramatic weight gain and dramatic weight loss the equilibrium of the body is just completely off,” she added. “So that might predispose him to developing type 2 diabetes later.”

We’re hoping that Tom will take it easy and get better soon!

WATCH: David Letterman – Dave and Tom Hanks Hug It Out

– Emily Longeretta

More Sad Diagnosis News:

1. ‘Real Chance Of Love’ Star Diagnosed With Stage IV Colon Cancer
  2. Jack Osbourne Diagnosed With Multiple Sclerosis
  3. Anastacia Diagnosed With Breast Cancer For The Second Time

Posted at 7:18 PM on January 3, 2014

There is no currently Netflix server in Poland as
well as the company has given no indication that they’ll
ever release one. As if your equipment weren’t already expensive enough, Blu-Ray movies still cost much more than regular
DVD’s. Then we have got the Projection screen TV’s,then it was the flat screen models.

no flame electronic cigarette refills

Posted at 2:29 PM on January 1, 2014

Good day! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to
give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading through your posts.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal
with the same topics? Thank you!

liposuccion laser

Posted at 9:30 AM on October 28, 2013

Numerous studies have shown that weight loss through bariatric surgery has
become an effective method in the treatment of urinary incontinence.
You must get the individual plan with the help of the dietician.
Drinking water increases the likelihood that you
will not satisfy thirst with sugary drinks.

proteinshackattack.Webs.com

Posted at 9:10 PM on October 17, 2013

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Taking the time and actual effort to generate a great article…
but what can I say… I put things off a whole lot and never seem to get anything done.

workouts to build muscle

Posted at 3:05 PM on October 17, 2013

whoah this blog is fantastic i love reading your posts.
Keep up the great work! You recognize, many people are looking around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

a hogg

Posted at 6:34 AM on October 9, 2013

Yawn………

brendabrenna872

Posted at 2:29 PM on October 8, 2013

you make $27h…good for you! I make up to $85h working from home. My story is that I quit working at shoprite to work online and with a little effort I easily bring in around $45h to $85h…heres a good example of what I’m doing more detials visit this site
……