‘Project Runway’ Season 12 Episode 11 Recap: The Pressure Is On

Thu, September 26, 2013 10:35pm EDT by 19 Comments
Courtesy of Lifetime

The contestants’ textile design skills were put to the test this week as they were given the now re-occurring HP Design challenge. Read Michael Costello’s recap on season 12 episode 11 here!

This episode was a lot of fun and one of my favorite challenges, the HP challenge! Each contestant had to design a print inspired by a local innovator.  Which print did you think was the best?

Project Runway Season 12 Episode 11 Recap:

At first, everyone was terrified about the finals, but once Rob Le Bras-Brown of HP Worldwide Marketing introduced the challenge, everyone forgot their fears and were excited to make their prints.
Watching the contestants meet their innovators was the best part. Everyone seemed inspired right away except for Alexander and Helen. Helen had a major breakdown in the showroom and was too nervous to design anything. Seriously, honey, just get a backbone, and get to work once in a while.
Alexander’s print was way off, it didn’t repeat right, but can’t blame him for everything. The program they used to make the prints looked difficult and almost like going back to Windows 97 paint. It’s called Photoshop, use it. But I still love HP and use mine all the time, in fact I need a new one, hint hint.

Time for the runway!

My favorite outfit on the runway was Dom’s. Her print was perfect. You could see the inspiration from Premal’s work, as well as her own twist. Fabulous, so glad you won!
Bradon’s was another favorite but I would have liked to see more of his print.
After all that fuss and freak out, Helen still didn’t impress me. It looked like sheets from a child’s bedroom cut up and stuck on a dress. I love Helen, just not that dress.
I was really shocked to see Alexendria move on. Really? Her outfit didn’t look well constructed at all. She was inspired by bricks, ew, come on! There was more inspiration in that room than rocks, I’m just saying.
On a side note, no one really had an attitude in this episode. Where’s Ken when you need him?
I was shocked to see Kate kicked off. Well I was and I wasn’t. This wasn’t really her challenge. I liked the look, very chic, but didn’t see the print.

Although this may be my favorite challenge, this episode was so boring.

Michael Costello

Check out Michael Costello Couture, follow me on Twitter @michealcostello, and Facebook and Tweet with me every Thursday during Project Runway Season 12!

More ‘Project Runway’ News:

1. ‘Project Runway’ Season 12 Episode 10 Recap
  2. ‘Project Runway’ Season 12 Episode 9 Recap
  3. ‘Project Runway’ Season 12 Episode 8 Recap

teri

Posted at 10:18 PM on October 17, 2013

I hope one of the girls win.

prlife

Posted at 12:26 AM on October 7, 2013

Kate.. if they werent going to let her go to fashion week they should of killed her off earlier. Such BS really one of the only designers this season. Not sure after 12 seasons of dedicated watching that I want to see the finale.. She doesnt bring drama so the only way to keep drama queens happy is to knix her? Really.. you got drama, I shut off my tv.

big d

Posted at 5:29 PM on October 7, 2013

I agree! I am a big fan of the show and watch every season. Never have I been so confused by an elimination. Granted it was a bad week for Kate–the only bad week she has ever had all season. Do you remember the fiasco that Braden sent down a few weeks ago that looked like a craft project? They always look the other way when a top designer makes a mistake once in a while. But Kate got shafted. I know they have a lot of talent this year, but it seemed a poor choice to have a double elimination that week.

big d

Posted at 5:15 PM on September 30, 2013

I cannot for the life of me understand why they would cut Kate when she has been so consistently in the top??? Why did they have to cut 2 people anyway? A scheduling conflict is not enough reason. I cried like a baby when Justin got cut but this seemed even more unfair as Kate has just been the best one this season. Why why why???!!!

Marcy Erickson

Posted at 9:16 PM on September 27, 2013

Get rid of Ken!!!!

Anonymous

Posted at 9:14 PM on September 27, 2013

I can’t believe the judges got rid of Kate. I always looked forward to what she would design. She has been in the top or safe almost the entire season and Justin has consistently been bad. He’s a nice guy but he designs the same thing. I can’t believe Alexandria was safe. What a horrible design. If it wasn’t for Dom I don’t think I would finish out the season. Tim why didn’t you fight for Kate?

Linda

Posted at 2:38 PM on September 27, 2013

Really, Kate!! The one good designer on the show. I can’t believe you didn’t send Alexandra home. She is a terrible designer. I guess it’s time to get some new judges. They leave Ken on when he should have gone weeks ago. Tired of this stupid show. Not watching it anymore.

JioMarch

Posted at 2:21 PM on September 27, 2013

This is a recap? What a waste! I would expect MUCH more from a former PR contestant. It’s an hour and a half show and we get a couple of paragraphs? Weird…

SharkBit

Posted at 2:12 PM on September 27, 2013

I agree. Sending Kate home was a bad choice. She is amazing. Alexandra is a mess. Love Dom and Helen for sure…sad for Kate…she is too good to have been let go..

Barbi-Anne Richard

Posted at 11:31 AM on September 27, 2013

WTF!! Justin can NEVER get a break!! if he makes a long dress the don’t like it.. the judges say it’s “sad, depressed not well made” and if he make a short gress he’s “safe” NOT once has he WON! and I’m sorry some of his designs are beautiful … It almost seems like they have an issue with him being deaf, IDK maybe it’s me, but thats just how I see it .. but its like they’re scared to give a win to a deaf guy … don’t get me wrong, I’m SO greatful that he got to stay over Kate, she definitly had SO many more sewing issues (not to mention those weird panel pleats) but at least she had some wins under her belt. And OMG!!!! as for Helen she needs to quit being such a frickin’ baby, if she doesn’t have damn confidence in herself by now designing something with a print then she may as well get out now!! Because I have news for her right now, the judges don’t want to see a whole runway show that’s all in black, she’s going to need some color, and some prints mixed in the show, otherwise it’s going to be a watching solid monochromatic pieces of fabric walic down the runway … YAWN!

Howdy

Posted at 9:12 AM on September 27, 2013

I feel Kate was robbed! Justin should’ve went home over her. I like him as a person, but he has never won a challenge. Kate has been in the top so many times and they send her home for one bad week. Yes, I was actually surprised Kate made that outfit because it was not good, but still Ridiculous to eliminate her! Alexandria’s jacket looked unfinished to be honest. I liked Bradon’s outfit the most, his dress and jacket was great!

Norma McPeak

Posted at 9:09 AM on September 27, 2013

Alexandria should have been gone weeks ago! The skirt was horrible and the leather vest, jacket (whatever it was) looked like she cut out a piece of leather and just shoved it on the model. Kate should have stayed–she has been consistently good. They should have taken that into account. I would have loved to have seen Alexandria’s “creation” up close and heard what the judges really thought about it.

Terra Dunn

Posted at 7:55 AM on September 27, 2013

I wasn’t really impressed by ANYTHING. I can’t believe Alexandria was “safe”. Kate’s look was a real mess–but she’s consistently done great work. I think the judges should’ve taken her past work into consideration. Alexander’s dress should be crucified. Never mix cake & religion! ;-) I know that they have to send someone home…& eliminating Kate was fair, though I feel terrible for her. I don’t like double eliminations. There was no reason to send Alexander packing. His dress was well made & that alone is worth something!

allison

Posted at 7:11 AM on September 27, 2013

Judges got it wrong. Alexandra consistantly bad, her model looked like she was wearing rags and she was safe. Kate concistently great with one not so good and she was out. Wrong decision. Lost my love of this show.

Debra harrison

Posted at 7:09 AM on September 27, 2013

OMG you took Kate off I love this show but now I know the whole show is bull. She is the best desighner you have,I think someone is scare of such a great desighner

Annette

Posted at 1:20 AM on September 27, 2013

I thought Alexandria should have been drummed out. Her skirt looked like she buttoned it incorrectly aand the top looked like she tore a hole in fabric and threw it over the models head.The judges commented that Pope’s dress was well made even though the white was not good. He should have stayed.

Christine

Posted at 12:17 AM on September 27, 2013

Dom deserved to win. What a great look! Kate’s look was hideous. Her construction was also off. I can’t believe she sent it down the runway. The kleenex puffs were too much.

Johanna

Posted at 12:08 AM on September 27, 2013

What were they thinking kicking Kate off! After all the horrible outfits that the other contestants have slid by with! What is Alexandra still doing there and Kate gone!!! Makes me want to give up PR for good this time. Disappointed in them, need MK back!

darla

Posted at 1:43 PM on September 27, 2013

I know I agree with you this show sucks. I used to really like it but this episode made me change my mind,Kates look wasnt great but shes been in the top this whole time and someone like Alexandria that makes rags for clothes that no one would actually buy is safe? Thats crazy! She is a threat to someone and they didnt want her to make it thats what I think.