Amanda Knox: I Want Meredith Kercher’s Parents To Forgive Me

Fri, September 20, 2013 11:56am EDT by 11 Comments
Amanda Knox Today Interview
Courtesy of NBC/Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images

Amanda talked exclusively with Matt Lauer on the ‘Today’ show on Friday morning, Sept. 20, surprisingly revealing that she’d like to form a relationship with her slain roommate’s parents, despite their reservations. Watch the interview below!

Amanda Knox, 26, sat down with Matt Lauer, 55, on Today on Sept. 20 just days before her retrial for the 2007 murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher, 21, revealing she’d still like to “approach” Meredith’s parents when the time is right.

Amanda Knox On ‘Today': Meredith Kercher’s Parents Will Realize I’m Innocent

Amanda told the Today Show host that with time Meredith’s parents will realize she’s innocent of their daughter’s 2007 murder in Perugia, Italy  — insisting Rudy Guede , 26, is guilty for her death. “It’s so hard to be logical about this when you’ve lost someone so close and important,” she tearfully told Matt. But she insisted the future will be much brighter between them.

Amanda understands the Kerchers refusal to see her innocence, but maintained that one day she’ll be able to approach them — even telling Matt she ranks herself a ‘9’ on scale of 1-to-10 she’ll be proven innocent again.

Amanda told Matt, “At this point Meredith is a part of my life. She’ll always be there. I want to be there and share that with them.”

A relationship with the Kercher parents seems unlikely, but the Washington University student feels confident that they will some day bond over the memory of Meredith. Despite their tragic connection, Amanda doesn’t ever want to be separated from the still-grieving parents.

Amanda Knox Won’t Return To Italy — Thinks It’s A Sign of Innocence

Don’t expect Amanda to go back to Italy for her retrial later this month. Amanda is confident the Italian justice system will again be in her favor as she refuses to return to Italy — where she was sentenced to four years in prison in 2007 before her October 3, 2011 release. Amanda also lists financial setbacks and class obligations as reasons for not attending. She won’t even be watching the trial on television.

Instead, Amanda will be in constant contact with her lawyers. She told Matt her legal team has agreed to call her during every break updating her on the trial. Unlike her previous trial, Amanda will not be able to talk to her lawyers face-to-face making suggestions about the trial.

Matt asked Amanda if she thought this was a sign of guilt — implying her absence will only play against her. But Amanda asserted that her absence is only a sign of her innocence. She insisted she does not  want to relive her four years in an Italian jail cell — telling Matt she has struggled with post traumatic stress disorder and panic attacks since her fall 2011 release.

Amanda’s upcoming retrial will take place in Florence, Italy on September 30.

What do YOU think Hollywood Lifers? Will Amanda be proven innocent again? Sound off!

WATCH: Today News: Amanda Knox On Retrial: ‘Everything’s At Stake

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

– Danielle Noriega

More Amanda Knox News:

1. Amanda Knox Sells Her Memoir For $4 Million
  2. Amanda Knox’s Ex-Boyfriend Reveals: ‘I Really Want To See Her’
  3. Amanda Knox’s Day With Her Sister — She Loves Normal Life!

Elle

Posted at 7:24 PM on October 27, 2013

There is something seriously wrong with the comments here. There is no forensic evidence linking Ms. Knox to this crime. Nothing. Absolutely nothing, but no one seems to care that Rudy’s DNA was there in abundance, in the victim’s vagina and in her purse, the purse that Amanda supposedly rifled through and took money from. I keep hoping someone will explain how a person like Rudy who had committed multiple break-ins and threatened someone with a knife within the month of Meredith’s murder gets to be called “poor Rudy” by the prosecution. And please don’t bring up that Knox cleaned up her DNA, because anyone with a working brain knows that is impossible.

Had Amanda been the one who remained home that evening instead of Meredith it is very likely it would be her who was slaughtered by Rudy Guede and perhaps it would be Meredith trying to put the gruesome murder of her roommate behind her, after being falsely accused and railroaded by the police. Meredith’s family ought to be outraged that the murdering beast, Rudy Guede, will be free in 2014. I have yet to hear one little peep from them about this outrageous course of events.

JCB

Posted at 1:42 PM on January 31, 2014

This is the only comment that I read here that makes sense! People are not seeing a full scope and noticing what you have and only want to believe the worse! Imagine if it was yourelf and you knew all this and knew you were not guilty!

mmgg

Posted at 2:15 PM on January 31, 2014

I agree with your comment, this is the only comment that really make sense!

Daryl

Posted at 7:55 AM on October 7, 2013

This woman is scary, I just wondering what have cause to have such a psicophatic behavior? Its the influence of the mother, the father? o just she is geneticaly faulty.

mmgg

Posted at 2:13 PM on January 31, 2014

where is the evidence that she kill Meredith??? I cant believe your comments!

Lady Justice

Posted at 7:53 PM on September 30, 2013

GO back to Italy and face your trial. You came to the US and it has all been about you. Not once have you apologised to the kercher family. You want what you want but you did not give Meredith Life. I agree your wants are irrelevant. You mad money on your book you can purchase a ticket. Your family got you defense and they went there a lot you can afford to go back you just won’t cuz you are GUILTY. You definately are a liar so I did not spend a dime on your book cuz you lie. You are not worthy of credibility. You need to stop demanding what you want and give the family what they want. JUSTICE.

mmgg

Posted at 2:11 PM on January 31, 2014

apologize for what..she is not guilty.. she didn’t do anything !

Michael Douglas

Posted at 7:49 PM on September 30, 2013

ALL WE HAVE HEAR THIS MURDERER SAY IS I WANT IWANT I WANT, AND I WANT TO BE HEARD! WELL MEREDITH JUST WANTED TO LIVE AND YOU THERE MISSY AND COULD OF HELPED HER. SO ENOUGH ABOUT IWANT I WANT I WANT. SO SICK OF ALL YOU WANT. YOU NEED TO GET YOUR BODY BACK TO ITALY AND FACE THE TRIAL. MEREDITH’S FAMILY IS THE ONES WHO SHOULD GET WHAT THEY WANT. JUSTICE AND YOU HAVE NEVER CARED ABOUT THEM JUST LIKE YOU STOLE FROM THEIR DAUGHTER REFUSED TO PAY AND SCREAM I WANT I WANT I WANT. SICK OF YOU. GO BACK TO ITALY

Wilson

Posted at 7:40 PM on September 30, 2013

Can’t belIEve this girl. All she thinks is of herself. her stating, I want her parents to forgive me.”
Shut the hello up about you trampola. You were on drugs and acted horrible, admitted you did the deed then stated you were there. Are you kidding me??? Go back and face the music. You wrote a book on you. Are you kidding me. Stating waiting to be heard. No one has to listen to you. They wanted you to talk at the time the girl was killed and instead you hid, you did stupid things and not once have any of us heard you even say you were sorry you killed her or did whatever part you did. Are you freaking kidding. LEAVE MEREDITHS FAMILY ALONE. YOU HAVE DONE ENOUGH DAMAGE TO THEM AND THEIR DAUGHTER AND WHAT A LIAR. YOU GOT ENOUGH MONEY TO GO BACK TO ITALY. SHUT THE HELLO UP AND RETURN TO FACE THE MUSIC AND I HOPE YOU NEVER EVER GET OUT. YOU WERE A PART OF THE DEED. YOUR BOYFRIEND I DON’T THINK SO SO HE SHOULD WALK BUT YOU NOO.

abe "The Full 100 Percent"

Posted at 12:09 PM on September 20, 2013

no, taking the live of their daughter is simply too much…………..

zoey

Posted at 12:08 PM on September 20, 2013

Sure hope justice is done for meredith.