Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

13-Year-Old Boy Dies After Fire Ant Bite During Football Game

Tue, September 17, 2013 5:14pm EDT by Emily Longeretta 6 Comments
Texas Boy Dies Fire Ants
Courtesy Of Facebook

Cameron Espinosa, 13, passed away on Sept. 16 after suffering an allergic reaction to bites from a fire ant.

On Sept. 11, eighth-grade student, Cameron Espinosa was attacked by ants during halftime of a football game at Haas Middle School in Corpus Christi.

Cameron Espinosa Dies From Ant Bite, 5 Days In Intensive Care

Cameron was admitted into Driscoll Children’s Hospital, where he stayed in intensive care for five days. He was put in a medically-induced coma to try and reduce swelling in his brain.

On September 16, the students were informed that Cameron had passed away in his sleep. That morning, Corpus Christi Independent School District Superintendent Scott Elliff, held a news conference, where he said the following statement:

I have to share the news that Cameron Espinosa has passed away early this morning. We’d like to extend our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Cameron. Corpus Christi ISD will do all we can to support this student’s family and the entire Haas school community during this sad time. We’ve provided additional grief counseling here at the school today for students and staff as needed.

Haas Middle School also had a moment of of silence in his honor, made counselors available throughout the day. Additionally, all after-school activities have been canceled for the rest of the week, according to the station KHOU11.

Cameron’s Mother Hires An Attorney

Cameron’s mother, Josephine Limon spoke out to, calling her son “an amazing boy.”

Additionally, she retained attorney, Thomas J. Henry. It is undetermined what charges she will press. She mentioned that an EpiPen possibly could have saved him, or “more trained personnel.”

Cameron’s team told his parents that they plan to retire his #66 jersey in his honor.

— Emily Longeretta

More Tragic Young Deaths:

  1. Young Brothers, 5 & 7, Strangled To Death In Sleep By 100-Pound Python
  2. 1-Year-Old Survives 100ft Fall From Alps Cable Car, Parents Killed
  3. 13-Year-Old Dies From Peanut Butter Allergy After Accidental Ingestion