Bill De Blasio is leading the N.Y. Democratic mayoral primary race, taking first place in the primary election on Sept. 10 with 40.2 percent of the vote!
Even though Bill de Blasio has held the office of New York City Public Advocate since 2010, HollywoodLife has rounded up some facts about the mayoral candidate — and possible future mayor of New York City — not that that’s a huge job or anything!
Bill De Blasio: Five Things You Didn’t Know About Him
1. Think you know his real name? Bill De Blasio was actually born Warren Wilhelm. His family started calling him Bill at a young age, and he decided to take De Blasio, his mother’s maiden name, since his mother and father split and his father had a history of being an alcoholic.
2. Bill lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn, with his wife, Chirlane McCray, and their children, Dante and Chiara.
3. Speaking of Chirlane, Bill’s wife is a very prominent political activist and poet — and admitted to being a lesbian in 1979 when she wrote a piece of Essence magazine called “I Am a Lesbian.” When asked if she still likes women, she has answered, “I’m married, I’m monogamous, but I’m not dead, and Bill isn’t either.”
4. Bill is no stranger to presidential politics — he managed Hillary Clinton’s campaign for the U.S. Senate in 2000!
5. Bill and Chirlane met while both working for NYC’s 1st African-American mayor, David N. Dinkins.
— Ivy Jacobson