‘Pretty Little Liars’: Ian Harding Reacts To Ezra’s Summer Finale Twist

Wed, August 28, 2013 3:33pm EDT by 42 Comments
Ezra Is A Pretty Little Liars
Courtesy of ABC Family

Sheila

Posted at 6:48 AM on December 2, 2013

You never know…….it’s possible that everything that has happened since aria and ezra met in bar that this is one of arias stories she had written…..he did say he’d like to read them.

Or maybe there’s some sort of mystical factor to Ezra and arias storyline. Sort of like they are controlling every situation and scenario by writing them before they actually happen (like characters in a novel, almost like puppets).

The main thing that caught my eye, that I can’t let go of is the scene leading up to ezra and arias first encounter at the bar (with it being later revealed that they bumped into one another at Hollis before the bar scene). If you notice, aria looks at the car clock which says 4:15 and then immediately looks at her phone without it ringing or her calling or texting). Do you remember Ezra’s poem b26? It talks about the song and a girl and mentions the time of 4:30. I think there is significance there.

Or what if, even though it didn’t show this, aria and ezra starting seeing one another right after they bumped into one another at Hollis the previous year? It’s possible they were keeping their relationship a “secret”, maybe she got pregnant (which is why she went to Europe for a year (he was also in that area at some point) as evidence of the photo of arias family while they were there posted in A’s lair. I mean……what is the significance of them dropping everything in rosewood to stay in Iceland for a year? Why a year?

If you listen to the lyrics of intro it denotes two people having a secret, one is dead and aria is the only one it focuses in on and then she says “shh!” Ally new about it and she decided to use it against ezra and aria, thus the beginning of A stalking her and making threats?

-S

Posted at 9:10 AM on October 23, 2013

On second thoughts, I don’t think he’s A either, if he was on the -A team, Mona & Toby would have known, and so when they switched sides AGAIN, they would have told Aria surely? EITHER that or he’s ‘Big A’, however in the episode with the party & fire Mona said ‘She’ referring to Big A and said she didn’t know who she was, so maybe Ezra hired Cece to help him to stop everyone thinking it was a man?

-S

Posted at 7:10 AM on October 23, 2013

I am actually so annoyed that this article confirms that he is infact A, ever since the summer finale, I’ve been desperately hoping he was put in that room to confuse the viewers and that there was some other explanation:( He’s actually my favourite character, and after watching the halloween special, I’m not sure if I like where this storyline is heading:( must watch though, it’s like a drug, it’s so addictive:’)

LeeLee

Posted at 10:44 PM on October 16, 2013

I was shocked but extremely excited. Don’t get me wrong, I’m as much of an EzriA fan as the next person but I just love the idea of him having a shocking dark side. For four years all this show has done is make us ask more and more extremely wild questions while only getting a few mediocre answers. It’s about time the writers live up to the reputation of this show and give us what we all want..even though some of us aren’t willing to admit.

M

Posted at 4:51 AM on October 6, 2013

In spite of the apparent evidence I don’t think Ezra is really A, maybe he’s involved in this but I don’t think he’s the one pulling the strings. This just would’ve been too easy. To me the whole thing feels like a girl’s vengeance. Either way I can’t wait to see how things turn out.

fellow pll follower

Posted at 11:11 AM on September 19, 2013

maybe ezra is A maybe not. i mean how many times has the producer made other ppl in the series look like they were A? Ali herself, Toby… cmon that broke all our hearts, caleb, mona, melissa, ian, wren, cece, need we go on…

If someones theory is right that ali was with ezra hes the college boy shes preg w his kid, yadda yadda yadda, things were going fine yea? he was a secret an ali loved those.. there was nothing pointing to the fact that it was going bad. ian could have been the college boy she was seeing she could have been tellin the truth bout him.. after all remember the video. ok. so he wasnt A doesnt mean he wasnt her bf…. or one of them! Ali’s character is portrayed as someone who loved games. Ali is believed by all to still be alive.. both in the books and the show. who says ALI and ezra arent working together …maybe they are a couple and shes still pulling the strings. perhaps they are screwing with ppl together. but then his falling in love with aria wouldnt make sense would it? plus did everyone forget the engagement to ezras ex? what was her name again? anyways. he was w her.. why no games with her? why let her be? why not involve her into this whole thing? that makes no sense at all if he is this sick twisted man who screws with ppls lives and more then just those 4 hes involved jenna and cece shauna and the parents, cops and therapists why leave out the one u was engaged to. and how would he play out the senerio of malcom being his child and then confront maggie without any of the 4 being there. what good would that do. what sense would that make that would be a stupid move on behaf of the producer to leave things not tied into this. and u dont just pay someone to play a part for these others and then not show them whats happening … bc then u lose the hook and sinker effect. Ezra being A gets ppl excited and freaked at the same time. mostly girls are watching this. so the twist of a girl being A is like oh that sick *itch i knew it was her she deserves to die, flipping to OH NO not that handsome sweet hunk is perfect on the producers part because its what keeps us jumping we hate to see it toby so we watch then we love to see it not toby so we really watch, leaving us not knowing who it is. then cece or mona.. yea theres that finally i love that its not toby feeling. so tell me honestly. …. how does ezra… a perfect stranger to all. come to town and become partners to ppl like IAN, WREN, MONA, CECE, etc. how do u get those ppl working for you when your merely a teacher and a stranger… not to mention how to u talk that many ppl into hurting the ones they love? eh, it doesnt tie in together. maybe he was creating his own lair hoping to rope in A himself, hoping to pretend to be like A to catch A, maybe hes another minion of A, sure there are plenty of things that tie in w him starting the season, to him teaching the girls to his relationship w ali, and more. but again aria was with him during times he got A messages… her feet on his lap him talkin to her and her phone goes off. obviously he had others doing that work for him sure good explaination, but for what reason, if this is about bullying and games and such.. the cece part made sense… ifali hurt cece and ali was best friends with the 4 girls then ceces revenge towards them makes sense. WHY would ezra want to hurt the other 4. that makes no sense. the producer is going to have to find a way to tie that in there.. bc yes u’ll make ur shows and grab our attention but in the end the producer will have to tie things together to keep a name for himself after the series has ended. u cant let ur watcher watch it love it and hate it and love it again but not tie it all together, and w how big its gotten u cant let there be a stupid disappointing ending bc then who’s gonna wanna watch ur next series u make? once its over we watcher will think back on this and we will flip through things leaving things unanswered and not tied together will slowly make this series a waste of time in our mind and a piece of junk in the end. leaving us remembering the producers name but not in the way ud want us to. so if this is going to be ezra i say fine but make it make a bit more sense w the events that have already happened. i mean seriously. A hurting himself by ruining his own realtionship… a bit much for a cover up dont u think? fakin his own son a bit far fetched to be “good” show time. maybe hes hurt and working for A now? or maybe the series just got really dumb really quick.. changing the direction something is going mid season is a cool idea it keeps ppl in the cast an behind the scenes excited and alert… as well as viewers. however its risky to say the least when once u switch directions u have A LOT of work to do to tie someone else in and make it make sense. theres alot of clues given a lot of things happened, and a lot of ppl involved. to tie ezra to all these things will be interesting to watch is the producer is able to do it. if not.. then i suspect it’ll be a diff A. who knows perhaps this new love of aria mr karate boy, will be A. . . just because ezra came in at the beginning doesnt justify the rest of the events.. u have to start a movie w a story line and get us all into the lives of the characters… ezra and aria helped do that. but A? cmon.. atleast give us some motive… and reel in his ex.. man. dont make it so unbelievable that its dumb. i say twist it.. and make the freaky principle be A. cmon hes creepy and always on arias case. better yet…. bring in the twin sister from the books! ha. or… heck make it a whole family thing and drag ezras mom into the mix haha. what happened to the brother n e ways… honestly… cmon wren would have more reason to be A then ezra.. after all he was older, he was melissa and able to cheat so perhaps he was w ali also heck he was w melissa, he was with wren tried w hanna, spent a lot of time w mona, so knew of cece bc she visited, works at the mental hosp. where tobys mom was, has reason to hate the hastings bc of how he was treated, framing ppl would be easy getting meds, moving bodies, switching them cleaning up messes, it cant be wren bc that makes sense… but erza makes so much nonsense that its ruined the excitement of pretty little liars for me. others wanna continue watching bc well thats the impossible being made possible.. however.. itd have been better if ezra was just trying to get to A, if he was mad bc now the girls will suspect him or maybe bc he thinks he missed his chance to get A. or better yet that this wasnt his lair.. if he walked in and was just ticked off that its continuing even more and the girl he loves is still being hurt by someone. hmm. erza as the cliff hanger didnt break my heart is made me say …oh that was stupid. but pretty lil liars did have a good run! hope the producer can turn this around and make it worth watching again..

Allie H

Posted at 9:46 PM on September 27, 2013

i think ezar isn’t A I believe there is A who is trying to mess with the girls then there is ezar who was the one who trieed to kill Ali but then she survived so he is trying to finish the job. in the last epoisde of the season A leads them to the lair (I believe that was Ali) I think she did this to tell them that she is alive and someone is after her. I think ezar isn’t A b/c A was on the timeline in the lair. Also I think the reason he got mad is b/c they found his lair.

Jeni

Posted at 10:29 PM on September 17, 2013

It makes sense for Ezra to be “A” considering “board shorts” and aria can be his partner, nothing very bars happened to aria like the other girls all her incidents have been close calls, the show also started off with those 2 meeting before school started and before the girls reconnected. Maybe Ali is alive with his baby where as Malcolm turned out not to be his but he used that situation to play out what happened with Ali and this kid truly his……who knows, can’t wait to find out more twists, this show actually shocks me where as I’m the type of person to figure it out before the end so wind up bored.

Frica

Posted at 10:29 PM on September 6, 2013

I read on a forum a couple of years ago a comment that someone left describing why she thought Ezra was A and had a significant amount of evidence supporting her theory/claims. That idea has been in the back of my mind ever since and so my initial reaction to this summer’s finale was me screaming out, “I freakin KNEW it!!!!!” Quite frankly I agree with Ian Harding that his relationship with Aria would get boring if they didn’t add this new twist to it. I actually think I was one of the FEW people that found his relationship with Aria really annoying and disgusting. He is a teacher that preys on high school girls. Why is it that not many people recognize (or choose to not recognize) that he is a statutory rapist perfectly capable of committing a crime? And how is it that people are upset that he is A? I’m rather excited. FINALLY people will see his true colors. Otherwise he was getting super lame and boring. It’s twist like these that keep me interested in the show. I was more depressed when I found out Toby was working for A.

Emina Bakonić (@EminaOfficial)

Posted at 9:23 AM on September 20, 2013

I couldn’t agree more! I mean, nothing ever happened to Aria and the two of them were reaaaaaaly boring. I like more Jake and her, than her and Ezra. It’s kinda lame and I just want to rewind the scenes where two of them are. ( And I was surprised revealing Toby’s working for A too ) :D I don’t want that to happen ever again :)

Ashley q

Posted at 4:42 PM on September 4, 2013

no it cnt b!!!!!!!!!!

Ashley McNabb

Posted at 12:39 AM on September 3, 2013

I don’t think he is A, but I think the only reason I keep coming to that conclusion is because I don’t want him to be! I want him and Aria to fricking get married and have children and stuff like FOR REAL! HE BETTER NOT BE!

Martine

Posted at 8:45 PM on September 2, 2013

I knew he was A.

willow

Posted at 6:52 AM on September 2, 2013

He is sooooo not A!!!

Michelle

Posted at 11:32 AM on September 2, 2013

I think he is a he cant be at Ravenswood at the same time the girls and know where A’s lair is at plus he has a sort of friendship with most of the girls and plus he is like 25 meaning he just graduate from college not to long ago.Ali was “dating” a college boy before she went missing

Martine

Posted at 8:39 PM on September 2, 2013

He has to be A, think he is the only boyfriend that never reacted to the terror that Aria was going through. Paige, Caleb, and Toby are all trying to find A…but NOT Ezra. If Ezra wasn’t A then A would have sent him to jail. A knows that he is seeing a student. So if Ezra is not A then why isn’t he in jail for statutory rape?

Erika

Posted at 2:37 AM on September 2, 2013

How in the world is he connected to Allie? That’s my question. Well in all, He did play his role rather well, I say. The whole thing about being the son of wealth parents and falling in love with one of students, then being all heartbroken when they parted ways. Genius! He had us all fooled. And about Allie, apparently, everyone has it in for her.

Martine

Posted at 8:39 PM on September 2, 2013

Easy; HE IS BOARD SHORTS.

Stephanie_OM (@xxStephCeexx)

Posted at 4:01 PM on September 1, 2013

Okay, think about this guys. To all those who are linking this storyline back to the first series – the writers wouldn’t have thought about let alone write this part of the story all the way back then. But it is an interesting twist all the same.

Martine

Posted at 8:48 PM on September 2, 2013

They have given about a million clues to him being A from season 3 at least. The way he never asks Aria about A, or what was going on with that. And the 50K from Jason that Aria found. And the way that A doesn’t torture Aria very much, and how A never busted Aria and Ezra dating.

Stefanie

Posted at 1:00 AM on September 1, 2013

I’m truly in shock! Why Ezra, why?!

hmarie88

Posted at 11:48 PM on August 30, 2013

I KNEW IT!!!

Kay-Lynn

Posted at 4:21 PM on August 30, 2013

I’m still in shock. But if Ezra is A then he already knew about his son before Maggie showed up. But he can’t be A…. at least not the only A. I just wanna know why he’s after Alison? & how much longer do we have to wait until everyone else finds out about him being A!!!!!

Alexandra

Posted at 2:00 PM on August 29, 2013

IM absolutely shocked n honestly i pray to god he is not A because i really ship ezria , but dont u think its funny how aria got the ball that had the A on it ?!?!?!!?

Keziah

Posted at 7:28 AM on August 29, 2013

Ahhh idk what to think anymore lol

KJ

Posted at 12:13 AM on August 29, 2013

Where did he get all the money? Remember the 50k Aria found in his dresser drawer when he was unemployed?

Levi Browne

Posted at 2:16 AM on August 29, 2013

He would of got it from Jason for giving information on “alisons” death

virk2220

Posted at 6:17 PM on August 31, 2013

his parents are really rich as we found out earlier in the series!

Martine

Posted at 8:42 PM on September 2, 2013

Exactly!!! He wasn’t getting it from his family! Especially that his mom was even more angry because he was seeing Malcolm. So where did the money come from. He lied said he sold a car, bnut his brother said that he didn’t. So if it was from his family somehow he wouldn’t have lied. He had that money from Jason.

Ezra-A What?!?!

Posted at 11:32 PM on August 28, 2013

Maybe he got Ali pregnant and tried to kill her? Or he is insanely in love with aria and knows that A is still targeting her and is trying to stop A, he does seem very suspicious but why was he wearing a cap not hoodie? We all know A has been wearing a hoodie for the other episodes..

Krysten

Posted at 1:41 AM on August 29, 2013

but that would be like the Toby and Spencer storyline which would be too obvious

Martine

Posted at 8:44 PM on September 2, 2013

He is board shorts. He is board shorts. He is board shorts…What don’t you people get? He got Ali pregnant, and she was worried he would kill her. She was right.

Kelly Broney

Posted at 2:20 AM on August 29, 2013

I think he is the main a

Alexandra

Posted at 2:02 PM on August 29, 2013

i was thinking tht its funny how ali and aria lied about their age n they both dated an older guy , maybe they dated ezra

NancyM

Posted at 1:07 AM on November 9, 2013

I thought the money in the sock drawer was questionable, but I really started to suspect Ezra when the kid on Mike’s team got his car windows smashed out for lying about Aria. I immediately thought it was Ezra that was defending Aria’s honor. That is why he helped Mike get out of trouble. I was still disappointed to find out Ezra is “A”. The writer’s have a lot of work to do to tie in everyone that has helped “A”, and give valid reasons for all of it. I watched LOST all those seasons and felt cheated when they ended the series the way they did. I understand, you don’t write an ongoing series years in advance, you just create a basic outline and build on it. Still, Ezra as “A” just doesn’t work for me. With all of the “research” the girls have done to learn what they learned about Ian, Jason, Wren, Noel, Shana, Cece, Jenna…there would have to be some photo or link somewhere to Ezra. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the writer’s have come up with. But, it better make sense. It is insulting to our intelligence when a great series like this fizzles out with a completely ridiculous reveal.

Frankie Torcia

Posted at 11:19 PM on August 28, 2013

I had thought Ezra was A in the season two reveal…but not after this. When they were talking to Grunwald, everyone should have known it was Ezra. Mike would make no sense, Jason is Ali’s brother, Toby was spying on Mona and Shana, Caleb was on his way to Ravenswood, and Wren seemed too obvious. Unless Ian or Garrett or Wilden never died, Ezra was the only clear choice. But I was still shocked (don’t ask why I haven’t even figured it out yet) probably because I was right but didn’t want to be. Ezra was my favorite guy character (Aria’s my favorite, she’s hot :D) and then I’m like “oh… okay WAIT WHAT OMG NO!” i was frozen and just dead I died. My friend who watches the show was texting me like “OMG HE’S A LIKE NO OMG OMG OMG” and I’m just like “NO I CANT EVEN JUST NO IM DEAD I DIED AND IM JUST NO I CANT RIGHT LIKE JUST NO!” and then I fell asleep after 40 mins after Twisted ended (I don’t know if it was because PLL was so good last night or it was just terrible, but that to me was the worst episode yet. Too much drama not enough Regina mystery.) But anyway, EZRA IS A AND IM JUST DONE I CANT LIKE NO.

Alexandra

Posted at 2:03 PM on August 29, 2013

story of my life :’(((((((((((((((( : )))))))))))))

beeeep

Posted at 10:00 PM on August 28, 2013

Knew it!! I I’ve always thought Ezra made sense for many reasons.

Beliebin

Posted at 8:19 PM on August 28, 2013

NO WAY EZRA CAN NOT BE A HE IS TOO CUTE WHYYY EZRA!! WHYY

Martine

Posted at 8:55 PM on September 2, 2013

Maybe you should ask yourself why you think a teacher having a relationship with his underage student is so cute?

Angel C. Whalen (@AngelCWhalen)

Posted at 3:53 PM on August 28, 2013

my Aunty Ella recently got a nice six-month old Kia Forte Coupe just by working from a computer… visit this website… C­­­a­­f­­e­­4­­4.ℂ­­­o­­m