Get to know the voice behind one of this year’s biggest VMA winners!
The world has been enjoying Mary Lambert‘s dulcet vocals for as long as Macklemore and Ryan Lewis‘ “Same Love” has been blowing up the charts, but it wasn’t until Aug. 25 that Mary really got her chance to shine. Looking beautiful, the singer had everyone talking during the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards — for all the right reasons.
Mary, 24, joined the boys on stage to accept the VMA for Best Song With A Social Message, at which point she received her own separate applause. She also performed the song — along with surprise guest Jennifer Hudson! (Seriously, we did not see that coming.)
Mary Lambert: 5 Things To Know About Her
1. She’s an author. Along with writing incredible songs, Mary also released her own book of poetry, 500 Tips For Fat Girls. “The collection spans a variety of my experiences: being bipolar, heartbreak, rape, incest and falling in love with women,” Mary told AutoStraddle.com.
2. She taught herself how to play piano. That’s right, Mary is a self-taught musician. She reportedly began teaching herself how to play and write songs at the age of six as a way to cope with living in a difficult household.
3. She’s an out-and-proud lesbian. She recently wrote a really moving blog post about filming the music video for her single “She Keeps Me Warm” that’s definitely worth a read.
4. She’s taken. Mary lives in Seattle, Wash., with her long-time girlfriend, Rachel. (Sorry, ladies!)
5. Her mother is also a lesbian. In fact, when Mary was only six years old, her family was ousted from the Pentecostal church because her mother came out of the closet.
WATCH: Mary Lambert In ‘Same Love’ Video
Are you fans of Mary’s work, HollywoodLifers? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the rising songstress below!
— Andy Swift