Jana Lutteropp, 20, Dead After Shark Attack In Hawaii

Fri, August 23, 2013 10:12am EDT by 7 Comments
Courtesy of JanaAmerica blog

A German tourist, who was vacationing in Maui with her friends, was bitten by a shark while snorkeling just 50 yards off the shore.

Jana Lutteropp, 20, fought for one week to stay alive, after being attacked by a shark in Maui on Aug. 14. The German native, had just finished working as an Au Pair in Seattle, and was on vacation.

Jana Lutteropp Dead After Shark Attack In Hawaii

The young woman was snorkeling when a shark came up and severed her right arm. Two men and a kayaker were the ones who helped carry her out of the water. She was taken to Maui Medical Center, and fought for her life for one week.

“Jana fought hard to stay alive,” her family said in a statement. “However, we are sad to say that she lost her fight today.”

Following the shark attack, the beach was shut down for one day.

Man Remembers Jumping In Water To Save Jana

Teacher Rick Moore, 57, physically carried Jana out of the water.

“As soon as we stand on the beach, we heard this blood-curdling scream,” he said. “We look out and there was blood everywhere in the white water around her. It dawned on me – I was in danger now. The shark is around me and she’s bleeding. I start praying out loud, “God, God protect us. I’m dying. I know I’m going to die. About 10 feet from her, I saw her floating on her back, with no arm. It was completely severed from her body.”

Such an incredibly sad story; our thoughts go out to Jana’s family.

WATCH: German Tourist Attacked By Shark In Hawaii

CNN

– Chloe Melas

More Sad Deaths:

1. ‘Bachelor’ Star Gia Allemand Dead At 29
  2. Karen Black Dies — ‘Five Easy Pieces’ Star Dead From Cancer At 74
  3. Cory Monteith: ‘Glee’ Star Found Dead In Vancouver Hotel At Age 31

Chrisi

Posted at 11:12 PM on August 25, 2013

She was not a TOURIST she was an AU PAIR and was living in the us for a year!

reathea

Posted at 10:15 AM on August 30, 2013

Oh for Pete’s sake. She was a TOURIST vacationing in Hawaii. Which means, she did not LIVE there.

Grer

Posted at 10:22 AM on August 30, 2013

Yes, she was a tourist. Being a tourist has nothing to do with which country you live in. I live in NY which made me a tourist when I visited Maine earlier this year.

Crystal

Posted at 6:21 PM on August 25, 2013

Oh my goodness! That’s sad that she died, she was only twenty and died young! At least she didn’t suffers. R.I.P Jana!

Solene

Posted at 6:22 AM on August 27, 2013

How can you say she didn’t suffer? I guess we’ll never know, but come on, her arm was severed by a shark and she stayed alive for a week after that! Sound painful to me!

OMG

Posted at 12:02 PM on August 23, 2013

Hi! If you are single and would like to enjoy the romantic dating feeling with successful men and women, you may have a try on — RichFishes.órg — the largest and best wealthy club for seeking CEOs, doctors, lawyers,fitness models, successful and sexy people, which is seen on Forbes, CNN, abs&WSJ.
tyy

abe

Posted at 10:42 AM on August 23, 2013

so don’t start a discussion with the animals.