Ben Affleck Will Play Batman In ‘Man Of Steel’ Sequel

Thu, August 22, 2013 10:02pm EDT by 29 Comments
Ben Affleck Batman
SplashNews

Holy Affleck! Ben is set to play the next Batman in the upcoming ‘Man of Steel’ sequel, Warner Bros. announced on August 22.

Actor and director Ben Affleck will star as the next Batman opposite Henry Cavill, who is reprising his role as Superman. This will be the first time the Caped Crusader and the Man of Steel join forces on the big screen!

Ben Affleck Is Batman — He Will Play The Caped Crusader In ‘Man Of Steel’ Sequel

According to Gossip Cop, director Zack Snyder said in a statement:

Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.

Ever since the Comic-Con announcement that the Man of Steel sequel will feature an appearance by fellow DC Comics staple Batman, the internet has been flooded with wishes and suggestions for which actor should next slip on the Dark Knight’s iconic mask. Christian Bale has brushed off the idea of reprising the role himself, and we bet Ben is very thankful for that!

A source close to Ben confirms to HollywoodLife.com that he is the new Batman. We can’t wait to see him in action!

Christian Bale Confirms He’s Leaving Batman Behind

As much as most people would love for Christian to continue playing the role he perfected in the Christopher Nolan trilogy, it just wasn’t meant to be. During a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, Christian was asked about reprising his nocturnal character in a potential Justice League movie — and his answer was less than promising:

We were incredibly fortunate to get to make three [Batman films]. That’s enough. Let’s not get greedy. … I have no information, no knowledge about anything. I’ve literally not had a conversation with a living soul. I understand that they may be making a Justice League movie, that’s it. … It’s a torch that should be handed from one actor to another. So I enjoy looking forward to what somebody else will come up with.

We’re so glad Ben has accepted that torch from Christian! He’s going to be great in the Man of Steel sequel.

HollywoodLifers, do you think Ben will make a good Batman? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with more thoughts on this interesting choice!

WATCH: ‘Man Of Steel’ Movie Review

— Tierney McAfee

More ‘Man of Steel’ News:

1. ‘Man Of Steel’ Review: Henry Cavill Battles Green Screens As Superman
  2. ‘Man Of Steel’ Premiere: Henry Cavill Talks Superman’s ‘Epic’ Journey
  3. First Official ‘Man Of Steel’ Trailer Released — Watch Now

augustin sorrentini

Posted at 1:47 AM on January 26, 2014

Who the hell came up with this bright idea batman is ruined even worst than when Clooney was batman affleck flopped daredevil horrible actor that will not do barman any justice ruined barman is ruined

Joey

Posted at 5:52 AM on January 5, 2014

Hell no he is gonna be horrible he does not have the face shape for it and his chin is not good enough plus I don’t really see some that looks like him fighting that well

MisterJ

Posted at 9:58 PM on August 26, 2013

It’s official, The man of steel sequel bobble heads. The Batman version will use Ben Affleck head. My goodness imagine Affleck head in the Bat Cowl. He will look like a life size Bobble head. Haha

Christina Xotique

Posted at 12:18 AM on August 25, 2013

People WORLWIDE have SPOKEN! 50,000 signed PETITIONS in 1 day! NO Ben BATMAN!
Point 1: STOP COMPARING Aflac to other actors who can act–Keaton, Ledger(rip), etc.
Point 2: Those actors didn’t have the HUGE FAME NEGATIVE BAGGAGE Aflac has (horrific Gigli, Daredevil, Bad taste in women JLo ghetto, gambling and arrogant persona, Toot-toot-tootsie roll dick reference, etc.)!

leo

Posted at 4:05 PM on August 24, 2013

I was required to refresh your page times to look at this page for reasons uknown, however, the data here ended up being worth the wait around.

proth

Posted at 6:47 AM on August 24, 2013

My vote is with Luke Evans he can definitely carry it. Ben Affleck is just not menacing.Damn you bale!

tinjarrell

Posted at 1:03 PM on August 23, 2013

And if you don’t like the actor or actors in it, don’t pay to go see it. I’ve learned something, hate is an awful harsh word for someone you don’t really know. I’d like to see some of you act in a movie…

Joseph

Posted at 9:31 PM on August 26, 2013

So because we can’t act we cannot be critics? That is absurd. Then you should not criticize food you don’t like or clothes you don’t like or music you don’t like. And everytike you feel like criticizing such things remember your own words and instead of using the word “act” think ” I would like you to see you be a better musician, or I would like to see you be a better clothes designer, or I would like to see you be a better chef. See how your logic works, it’s absurd.

tinjarrell

Posted at 10:03 PM on August 27, 2013

True, I guess you have me there. But it’s people who constantly say “I hate this person, he should die for being the next batman,” or something to that respect. Those people have no right to be so extreme. It’s the “critics” that cause my hard feelings and I’m sorry if my comment offended you.

tinjarrell

Posted at 10:26 PM on August 27, 2013

I grew up seeing the ugly said of negativity. As I grew older, I realized the senseless that comes with judging others for things I didn’t or don’t understand. As my new outlook of life, I try to minimize this as much as possible, and instead look towards positive lights rather than wallow in the dark. I just wish people would give him a chance rather than knock him down.

tinjarrell

Posted at 1:02 PM on August 23, 2013

I don’t understand. This is for entertainment purposes. Just watch the damn movie. When did watching a simple movie become a chore?

Joseph

Posted at 9:26 PM on August 26, 2013

It became a choir since Ben Affleck was cast as Batman. All jokes aside you are right I won’t pay my hard earn money to support bad casting. Bootleg or I will wait for the DVD and rent it. Movies are for entertainment that’s why we are upset, as a DC fan I hate to see the company make such horrendous choices, Marvel comics must be enjoying this. They will have better movie Avengers 2.

tinjarrell

Posted at 9:59 PM on August 27, 2013

I respect your opinion. I’m just tired of people bashing other people. It’s unfortunate that no one is giving him the opportunity to prove to everyone that he can play it.

Comic Book Fan.

Posted at 10:08 AM on August 23, 2013

The Affleck Duck would be better cast as Batman than Ben Affleck. Ben Affleck can direct, but, (like Sophie Cappolla), he can not act very well. I suppose they could not get Christian Bale or Michael Keaton, behind the mask again, but, there are better actor than Ben Affleck.

2ndchances

Posted at 8:00 AM on August 23, 2013

Why don’t you all wait, see the movie, and hold judgement until then. Give the guy a chance. He is not the same guy or actor he was 10 years ago. He has learnt from his mistakes and has grown from them. I frankly did not think Daredevil was that bad. But he was knocked down and has since picked himself up and climbed out of that deep hole, that takes guts and determination. Cut him some slack and at least give him the chance to prove you wrong before you automatically condemn him. You just might be surprised!

MisterJ

Posted at 9:37 PM on August 26, 2013

The problem is that Ben Affleck as Batman is a huge risk, every Ben Affleck movie he plays the same character he is good at playing Ben affleck. What if he sucks at the role? Should we wait another 10 years for another reboot. Zack Snyder and WB has screwed the pooch in being such a hurry to get Justice league out to compete with Marvels Avengers. Marvel did a fantastic job with casting. What happen to Casting Josh Brolin as Batman, that is what I would like to know.

LissaCaldina

Posted at 2:21 AM on August 23, 2013

rez

Posted at 2:18 AM on August 23, 2013

afleck almost ruin daredevil. he should stick to bad writing and bad directing or making crapy films with kevin smith. and by the way i think kevin smith got a huge boner when he found out the news.

abe

Posted at 12:08 AM on August 23, 2013

………..they went bankrupt?

james

Posted at 11:39 PM on August 22, 2013

I will give him a chance, but just because he’s a good actor doesn’t mean that every part he plays will be good. First off, he has big shoes to fill. When you say Batman movie, everyone thinks of Bale and how good he was as Batman (it’s hard to top that off). Second, he really doesn’t look the part for it, he looks more like the Joker than Bruce Wayne.

d

Posted at 11:25 PM on August 22, 2013

Whoever just said he’d suck as Batman knows nothing about this man. Ben’s acting chops are of very high caliber and will bring in tons of money. He nailed every part he had. Just because you’re used to Bale doesn’t mean only Bale can play Batman.

tinjarrell

Posted at 11:35 PM on August 22, 2013

I agree with you! I loved everything Affleck has been in and the movie Daredevil was amazing! I am totally on board with him playing batman, but no matter what, whoever they cast people are going to find something to be angry about.

MisterJ

Posted at 9:44 PM on August 26, 2013

And whoever says that Ben Affleck has the Batman look knows nothing about Batman. Josh Brolin should of been cast. I bet Zack Snyder never read Dark knight Returns. For those of us that did read such a great novel know that Josh Brolin was perfect for the part. Snyder thought he had us fooled by having someone read parts of Dark knight Returns. Snyder such a poser.

Beverlin2317

Posted at 11:14 PM on August 22, 2013

Ben is a good actor BUT he’s not the super HERO type at all!!!!!
Christian is perfect for the role he made Batman who he is! I don’t see Ben as THE Batman !!!

patty

Posted at 11:02 PM on August 22, 2013

HE Will suck as batman ….he can’t get any other parts … He would be better as the joker/////

m.kinger (@mkinger2)

Posted at 10:58 PM on August 22, 2013

my roomate’s sister makes $80 every hour on the laptop. She has been out of a job for 6 months but last month her payment was $13200 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site…….WWW.ℛush64.COℳ

Coach Cal

Posted at 2:32 AM on August 23, 2013

I’m disappointed that Bale will not play Batman. He revolutionized the cape crusader. I dont understand it, isn’t Hollywood concerned about the fans???? Affleck is a good actor, but it takes a special man to play Gotham’s watchful protector. My heart is broken!!!!!

d

Posted at 8:05 AM on August 23, 2013

To be frank, if Hollywood didn’t care about the fans they wouldn’t have tried to buy Bale back. He clearly doesn’t want to play Batman again so on to the next

Joseph

Posted at 9:51 PM on August 26, 2013

Hollywood don’t care about the fans or the creators, Bale was not going to return. I was very suprised when I heard Josh Brolin was a top contender for the part, in my mind I was ” Snyder is a true Comic fan and understands the hero universe” I really liked the vision he was going with, Josh Brolin was made for the part. Then Snyder showed us his true colors with his final choice. I wish for once a true fan had a chance to direct a comic book movie.