‘True Blood’ Season Finale Recap: Sookie’s Wedding Leads To Tragedy

Sun, August 18, 2013 10:32pm EDT by 128 Comments
True Blood Eric Dies
Courtesy of HBO

Common Sense

Posted at 5:26 PM on August 19, 2013

Hey knob, you say spoilers in your description but your title on google search says “Eric Dies.”

Romme1930 (@Romme1930)

Posted at 4:45 PM on August 19, 2013

my buddy’s step-mother makes $77 hourly on the computer. She has been fired for 9 months but last month her paycheck was $16184 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site…..WWW.ℛush64.COℳ

Random Enigma

Posted at 4:05 PM on August 19, 2013

I kept expecting someone to wake up and realize at least half of the episode was a dream. It was that bizarre. I thought the season started out ok, but a lot of things in this last episode just didn’t seem to fit. I also thought Warlow’s death was rather anti-climactic. So many other things felt so rushed and just thrown out there with no reasoning or explanations behind them. I’ll be surprised if Eric is dead, but I’m not sure I even care which characters live or die at this point. I thought the first 3 seasons were really good but then it started going downhill. Don’t know if I’ll watch past the first episode of next season.

Carole Lee

Posted at 3:38 PM on August 19, 2013

I kept screaming at the TV “Drop and roll Eric, Drop and roll!! for the love of God “drop and roll”
I called in sick today and took a day to greave. This can’t be true, it just can’t be.
I’m hoping he dug a deep hole in the snow and went underground.

ticker

Posted at 12:35 AM on August 20, 2013

You should’ve taken thirty seconds during your “gre[a]f day” to consult a dictionary.

Ms. J

Posted at 3:25 PM on August 19, 2013

Um it’s called forshadowing, Warlow was a tool to start with and not at all convincing as a love interest or any lasting character, this entire season was filler characters and the tying up of loose ends. How surprised will all of you be when Tara gets hepV from feeding off her mom? Annnnd the Alcide/Sookie hook up story line is from the books but there shes with the were-tiger Quinn.

Andy Yellnour

Posted at 2:19 PM on August 19, 2013

EPIC FAIL TRUE BLOOD

Sophie

Posted at 2:49 PM on August 19, 2013

I agree. -_-

aolani08

Posted at 12:40 PM on August 19, 2013

I think the writer, producer, and BB should be handed their walking papers for that episode! Whoever wrote episode1, Stephen Moyer is great at producing, and Mark Hudis needs to come back. You can clearly see the downward spiral of the series after Mark Hudis left.

Andrea J. Snyder (@AndreaJSnyder1)

Posted at 11:09 AM on August 19, 2013

just as Alexander implied I didnt even know that a mom able to profit $6828 in a few weeks on the computer. did you look at this site… ℂ­­a­n9­9.ℂ­ℴ­­M

hanakin

Posted at 10:47 AM on August 19, 2013

Overall it was an epic failure of an episode. One blunder after another. To the point that when Eric ‘died’ I actually laughed. He isn’t dead. The writers are transparent and purposefully left both Eric and Pam out of the ‘6 Months later’ fiasco. Ergo Eric=alive. It is my guess that Pam is caring for him somewhere, nursing him back to health so that he can come back in season 7 and demand what the hell the writers were thinking.
Warlow’s 180 was hilarious. When he backhanded Sookie I actually giggled. Warlow’s death was also hilarious. Way to go writers. You had no idea what to do with his character and so opted for a cheap and nasty trick, leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth. As if by magic and unearthly timing Fairygrandpa comes bursting into Sookie’s bathroom, where she happens to be hiding and Jason pops up stake ready. Warlow has a moment of I’m-a-pussy-itis and squelch he’s dead. *Clap. Clap. Clap*
The ‘6 months later’ half (I can’t believe half the episode was dedicated to it), has squashed my floundering faith in True Blood. Only a foolish viewer with little standards and zero expectations would be happy and satisfied with such cheap tricks. Alcide and Sookie; that’s so season 4 and 5. Now the writers are so desperate they are just recycling material from earlier failures lol. Sam is mayor?? Hahahahahaha. Enough said. Arlene has lost her Arlene-ness and is a snooty money-grubber. What happened to her principles? Hmmm. Two million dollars and bad scriptwriters happened. Bill is BORING. He has been a snooze fest and a mediocre plot device for at least a season. Any of the characters could have been Lillith’s b***h, Bill’s not special here. Shame. Andy Bellefleur is adorable in a useless way, and his daughter I couldn’t care less about, she’s only 6 months and 2 weeks old, and is yet again another plot device to bring more fairy nonsense into the story, she is the just-in-case-we-need-fairy-blood-and-sookie-isn’t-around character at the writers’ disposal.
The ONLY good thing about True Blood after the carnage of this finale was how Terry’s funeral was handled. I quite liked the little forays into his past with Andy and Sam. I would include Lafayette as a good thing, but he barely had any decent screen time this season.
So much more to nag about, but I am pretty confident that most who viewed this atrocity will agree. Such an epic let down.

Andrea

Posted at 3:35 PM on August 19, 2013

Agree completely, no longer a ” Truebie!” Canceling my HBO subscription today! Let us use huge letdown

Melody

Posted at 10:38 AM on August 19, 2013

I am mortified over Eric! and hope that was a dream, vision anything other then Eric really bursting into flames and being dead. I don’t like that Sam doesn’t own Merlotte’s and that it now belongs to Arlene. I don’t like Sookie being with Alcide. I really don’t like anything about the changes that took place in the “6 months later ordeal”….Too many drastic changes for one episode and it changed the entire show. Surely everyone’s favorite “Eric Northman” is not dead? And if so, there will have to be some really big changes (not the ones I seen in last night’s finale`) to keep fans happy and loving our favorite show True Blood. I was just really shocked with last night’s episode but not in a good way……The season was outstanding but I sure didn’t like the ending at all.

Jackie

Posted at 10:03 AM on August 19, 2013

Love Eric, can’t even imagine True Blood without Eric. I am still hopeful that in true True Blood fashion the finale was designed to shock and awe the viewer and that somehow, someway Eric will manage to rise like the Phoenix… As for will I be watching next season…always and to the end. I am a devoted and die-hard True Blood.

roxie

Posted at 9:54 AM on August 19, 2013

True Blood SUCKS!!! I will not watch next season. THERE IS NO REASON TO.
ERIC IS DEAD.

Tracy

Posted at 9:50 AM on August 19, 2013

Eric isn’t dead. If he is, that was the most pathetic, unworthy sendoff I’ve ever witnessed…..to end him like that and fast forward 6 months later as if he never existed or ever mattered. It would be no different than spitting in the faces of every Eric fan. Until it is officially confirmed that Alex will not sign on for Season 7, I will continue to believe Eric is alive.

Odile Romon (@OdileRomon)

Posted at 9:18 AM on August 19, 2013

just, WTF? Like seriously? 6 months later? Eric?

Kim hammond

Posted at 9:15 AM on August 19, 2013

I’m very disappointed,I’m not sure if I’m going to keep watching as
Eager as I did for the first 3 seasons.but I will still watch it because I’m
Hooked.so glad there are other shows coming out next year to keep me glued
To the tv.cant wait to see the outlander book come to life next year
Om starz .go team Jamie Fraser .

Irwin

Posted at 9:09 AM on August 19, 2013

A few thoughts about the continuing deterioration of True Blood’s story lines.
1- if this was all Warlow was after why didn’t he just take it on day 1?
2- folks are just going to give themselves over to feeding a vampire, and happy about it to boot?
3- after Eric’s earlier experience with the temporary effects of Faerie blood, he just decides to ‘set it and forget it’?
4- how did grandpa get out all of a sudden?
5- and how come Jason wasn’t just sucked dry when he was trapped in that cell with all those cooped up vampires?

Just wonderin’.

JS

Posted at 10:36 AM on August 19, 2013

1- I think he was out to convince Sookie that he was actually a good guy. He was doing that by showing her the truth about her parents which he believed would make her want to leave everything else behind to become what they hated. When he found out that she wanted to be with him but wasnt ready to leave is when he was like “f this act” and showed his true colors.
2- It’s a trade off. We have seen plenty times humans willing, wanting and even getting paid for feeding vamps. When your life is on the line and you need protection I dont see why someone wouldn’t be willing. We did see the church get riled up and as good a turn out as it seemed there were wayyy more people at the church then at the BBQ.
3- This one bothered me the most. However I think they were trying to hint that although normal fae blood wears off, Warlow, since he is half fae/half vamp, is permanent. It would make sense then why they were still able to be in the sun and still not tripping balls. Every other time they had some other fae blood in the series once they come down from their blood high they can no longer be in the daylight. This wasn’t made super clear although a conversation Bill had with Takahasi comes to mind that the fae blood looses its magic after being outside of the body. This explains why Bill thought Warlow’s blood was so much more special, because his would not. The magic in his fae blood only faded once he died.
4- Sookie ran to the bathroom, the portal to the other ‘dark world’ had always been in the bathroom. Grandpa just could have been waiting for the right moment although this was one of the most cheesy re-entrances ever. Too convenient. Jason kills Warlow with a stake? Yeah not buying it.
5- It seemed more like all the vamps were torturing their captives rather than killing them off right. So eventually he would have been.

Ryan Brüderlich

Posted at 8:38 AM on August 19, 2013

I’m with Andy 10.000 %. This finale was dull, cheap and It really left a bad taste in my mouth. (Show respect if you don’t agree, please).

Melody

Posted at 10:53 AM on August 19, 2013

I agree…..didn’t like the finale at all. I was loving the first half, hated the last half. If Eric Northman is really dead, what a horrible way to kill him off. Terry gets an entire show dedicated to him? Eric just bursts into flames? Not buying it….and hope it was just a dream or vision and that Eric will be back. I’m wondering if the blood of Warlow that sparkled and then faded, will not reappear somehow and him not really be dead because what’s left to write about? The way they left it, with everyone getting along (which is never how it’s been before, only the top cast were liked by human’s) I just don’t like it at all. It changes the entire show of what we have watched for years. TB writers really need to do some heavy duty thinking and get this show lined back out, to the way it use to be. All these drastic changes came way to quick and made the show really corny. Hoping for a huge change in how they scripted that. Even if it means all of that was a dream that one of the main characters had. It could be fixed and all of that be changed if it were merely just a dream and didn’t really take place. That’s really the only way I can see them being able to change what they have already written and let take place. Hoping they will think about that and undo some of these crazy changes. I’m very let down with what happened the last two episodes. Even when they are ready for TB to end, that surely isn’t a good ending at all.

Kim hammond

Posted at 11:33 AM on August 19, 2013

What if the season finally was just one of bills vision?

Paige

Posted at 8:38 AM on August 19, 2013

Disgusted by this finale. Bad writing. Bad directing. It’s insulting the way they promoted the scene with Eric. We are supposed to be turned on by seeing “more of him than we’ve ever seen”? BURNING up? Ummm yeah, you just put your entire show up in flames idiots.

Sophie

Posted at 6:56 AM on August 19, 2013

the worrst, stupid end ever! WTF?

Jessica

Posted at 6:31 AM on August 19, 2013

Why would you say “don’t read on if you don’t want spoilers” WHEN THE TITLE OF YOUR ARTICLE GIVES IT AWAY!!!

Seriously, thanks so much for ruining it for me, along with other NON AMERICAN viewers! I’ll never get on this website again, absolute stupidity.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:03 AM on August 19, 2013

Ease up, Jessica. The headline is “‘True Blood’ Season Finale Recap: Sookie’s Wedding Leads To Tragedy.”

You’d only see the Eric part if you already clicked into the story. And why would you do that if you hadn’t watched the episode?

Your mistake, not mine.

Ramirez

Posted at 10:42 AM on August 19, 2013

Andy, babe…check out the URL for this article.

aolani08

Posted at 12:27 PM on August 19, 2013

Mr. Andy, you are almost as worse as CH, AB, and BB to include the writer and producer that gave the inside scoop for the horrible disaster that they tried to throw down our throat as a finale. We have watched True Blood for six seasons being loyal fans enduring the bad train wreck unfold that is Sookie and Bill’s on screen love life just to watch them make goo goo eyes at one another going into season seven and the writer and producer trying to justify it in our eyes. Bill was made to look like the hero and Eric made to look like the gum on the bottom of Sookie’s shoes on a hot summer day. You ask Jessica to ease up if Alexander had other commitments and not coming back just show him in Sweden enjoying life why burn him? I’m team Eric and Sookie and every show runner, writer, and producer has slapped all team Eric and Sookie fans in the face since the season four finale and to watch season five and six unfold was a punch in the gut. I’m speaking for myself and possibly many other viewers. We do not want Sookie to revisit the Bill romance let that ship sail and move on. We understand that the creators to include CH, show front runners, producers, and writers sucked us in thinking we were going to read or watch an epic love story unfold about a vampire Viking prince and a fairy princess and we watched read the stories and watched the television show thinking that was what we were going to get for the most part. I feel that I was slapped in the face for six seasons and just like I didn’t buy the last book until I read the reviews I refuse to watch the train wreck of a once good show go down the drain for lack of writer vision. You can tell the writers are not on line with the episodes that are being written and the vision of the show and until HBO and True Blood get it together I don’t think Sookie/Alcide/Bill whatever is going to hold it down for a season eight to come into play. Eric made Sookie’s character exciting, Bill made her character sucked the life out of her, and Alcide makes her appear desperate. What would you choose in a fiction based relationship love and excitement or old, boring, and mundane?

Mike R.

Posted at 3:40 PM on August 19, 2013

It’s not only in the URL, it is also the HTML title:

‘True Blood': Eric Dies — Season Finale Recap – Hollywood Life

which means it shows at the top of the browser, as well as in indexed google results.

Diane

Posted at 5:26 AM on August 19, 2013

I for one moment do not believe that Eric is dead. Pam will have flown in at the last moment in flames as well and hit him with such impact as to drive them into the ground and into safety, and the rumor has it that AS will turn up in the show for the second half of the season.

rondean89

Posted at 4:29 AM on August 19, 2013

Total bad taste in my mouth for sure! OUTRAGED!

TrueBlue

Posted at 4:28 AM on August 19, 2013

I was glad to see so much screen time devoted to Tara’s relationship with her mother after what seems like eons. But here’s my theory – Her mother is actually a “carrier” and in her hatred for all things unchristian, has infected her own daughter with Hep V.

Eric gave Jason his blood in the last episode. I was totally expecting more dream sexy times.

Nia

Posted at 8:45 AM on August 19, 2013

I had the exact same thought.

Also, why didn’t Willa feel Eric burning? What a pathetic progeny.

Louis V.

Posted at 10:17 AM on August 19, 2013

Actually, we weren’t shown whether or not she felt it. We are in the open about it. Maybe six months after (and given that she barely knew him) they made peace with the fact. Or maybe he didn’t die.

Leah

Posted at 9:25 AM on August 19, 2013

I agree with you. I beleve that Tara Mom is infected as well.
This was not as explosive as the other episodes but, we will all be panting and waitin for the show to retun.

FLJ

Posted at 11:34 AM on August 19, 2013

I think Tara’s mom is a friggin zombie – surely her liver died on her years ago!

surf

Posted at 3:26 AM on August 19, 2013

i’m a skarsgard fan and if eric really died then maybe his schedule opens up for fifty shades

cheryle murphy

Posted at 5:31 PM on August 19, 2013

perfect

Gom

Posted at 3:08 AM on August 19, 2013

Of course Erik is not dead.

As with all American produced serialized TV shows the main core characters are never killed off unless an actor wants to leave the show. This is why shows become bloated and boring because the writers have to come with story lines and reasons for the characters to stay on the show. With True Blood, it’s hard to really feel or believe that Sookie or Bill or Erik or Pam or Jason, etc are ever in any real danger.

And don’t say they have killed off core characters before. Those were peripheral characters (Jesus, Nan, Sophie, Tommy, Luna) that were added to the opening credits like the core characters and storylines beefed up a little as a façade then killed off. Then you get ..Wow they killed off a lot of the regular characters…not really.

With the cliffhanger where the Hep-V infected vamps are closing in on the celebration…I can guarantee that Sookie, Bill, Tara, Jessica, Jason, Alcide, Lafayette, Arlene and Sam will all be just fine. LOL.

FLJ

Posted at 11:32 AM on August 19, 2013

Who says the vamps closing in on the celebration were hep V infected? If they are, that would make them weak and easy to kill.
I feel totally ripped off with this lame finale. No Eric=no audience.
Too many lame things going on as already stated by other folks, and hate Sookie/Alcide happy couple scene and the “6 months later” crap… oh dear. Is this worth waiting for next year of should I cancel HBO now?

aolani08

Posted at 1:20 PM on August 19, 2013

I agree Nora died in an instant…..I just think you have to belong to a vampire or be fed on and to protect the vampires of Bon Temps they paired them up with a human. Bill being made the hero pisses me off. Eric appearing to be dumb and not prepared for anything caught out in the open of daylight did not do his character justice……Everything between Eric and Sookie in the first episode was tarnished by Alcide and Sookie in the finale pisses me off. The motto is “no one lives forever” they need to get rid of BB and the writer and producer that wrote and created that lame A$$ episode!

Nancy

Posted at 5:38 PM on August 19, 2013

Uh, they had the weird Hep V veins running all over them?

Angela

Posted at 11:12 PM on August 19, 2013

They were infected because you could see their veins on the chest and neck. I think perhaps nora died so quickly because she didn’t feed at all on real blood. maybe human blood makes them a bit stronger and helps them live a bit longer.