Eydie Gorme: Iconic Singer Dies At 84

Sun, August 11, 2013 11:08am EDT by 7 Comments
Eydie Gorme Dies
Getty

So sad. The legendary female half of Steve & Eydie passed away in Las Vegas on August 10 after suffering from a brief illness.

Eydie Gorme, who warmed so many hearts across the world performing as one part of Steve & Eydie and later enjoying success as a solo performer, died after a brief illness on August 10, according to her publicist. She was 84 years old.

Eydie Gorme Passes Away At 84

Eydie, who gained popularity in the ’50s singing on the The Tonight Show with Steve Lawrence, who later became her husband, is likely best remembered in the English-speaking world for her Grammy-nominated hit “Blame It on the Bossa Nova.” In Spanish-speaking circles, Eydie’s major hit was “Amor.”

Her longtime partner Steve, in both music and love, was by Eydie’s side in Las Vegas when she passed away, along with her son and other family members.

“Eydie has been my partner on stage and in life for more than 55 years,” Steve said in a statement according to CNN. “I fell in love with her the moment I saw her and even more the first time I heard her sing. While my personal loss is unimaginable, the world has lost one of the greatest pop vocalists of all time.”

Eydie and Steve toured well into the 2000s, remaining relevant and beloved for over five decades. “I’m very thankful that Eydie and I, not only do we have a great love, we have a great friendship,” Steve previously stated.

Besides Steve and their son, David, Eydie is also survived by her granddaughter. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends in this difficult time. She will be missed!

WATCH: Eydie Gorme – ‘What Did I Have’

CNN

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Sad Deaths In Music:

1. JJ Cale: Iconic Musician Dies At 74
  2. Chi Cheng Dies: Deftones Bassist Dead At 42
  3. Ravi Shankar, Sitar Player For The Beatles, Dead At 92

MissC

Posted at 3:00 PM on August 12, 2013

I went to youtube to listen to Blame it on the bossa nova, good song!

Smile

Posted at 11:18 PM on August 11, 2013

So touching that Steve and Eddie were a couple for 55 years.

DavidUUQE

Posted at 1:27 PM on August 11, 2013

An online millionaire personals and dating site, — RīchFīshes.órg — offers beautiful women the chance to meet and interact with wealthy men online. Advanced search options allow you to find millionaire in regions of your choice and develop a millionaire dating relationship via email and IM. Sign up for a free membership today!

dfd

abe

Posted at 1:19 PM on August 11, 2013

I would have been proud when she was my Grandma, folks!!

Patricia Van Alders

Posted at 12:38 PM on August 11, 2013

R.I.P. Lovely Lady!

xdhhxfddh4643

Posted at 12:03 PM on August 11, 2013

Unbelievable~~Wow~ My friend Lynn has just married to a handsome black man met through ~~InterracìalÇircle. Çom~ They told me it is a Specialist interracial online dating & social networking site specifically for black and white singles interested in an interracial dating and relationship. You can find the man or girl of your dreams. Love me love my color.xcbxcb

morekare

Posted at 11:20 AM on August 11, 2013

I used to enjoy them on the television talk shows many years ago. They were both delightful. May she RIP.