Did Aria give into Jake’s advances, or did she push him away once and for all? I’m just amazed she actually made up her mind!
What’s a birthday without a near-death experience? That appeared to be the motto on the Aug. 6 episode of Pretty Little Liars, as Emily’s (Shay Mitchell) surprise party almost cost one Rosewood resident her life. Jenna (Tammin Sursok) returned to town this week — sadly, without her sight this time — and were it not for Emily’s dolphin-like abilities in the water, we might have lost her to the deep.
Emily & Paige: Sink Or Swim
Jenna drama aside, this week’s episode proved disastrous for Emily’s relationship with Paige (Lindsey Shaw). Emily was furious with her girlfriend for setting her up with a swim coach without informing him about her injury, which led to their biggest argument yet — or, at least, their biggest argument since that time Paige tried to drown her in the high school swimming pool. (Oh, did you think I’d just forget about that?)
Emily told Paige to “face facts,” and insisted that they won’t be going to school together next year. I don’t think it counted as an official breakup, but it was pretty darn close. I’ll be shocked if that couple lasts into season five, mark my words.
Aria & Jake: It’s So On
On the other end of the spectrum, Aria (Lucy Hale) and Jake (Ryan Guzman) took their relationship to a very good place this week. After some awkwardness at Emily’s party — Aria was super jealous that Jake was chatting up some trick — Jake went back to the Montgomery household for a little R&R. Needless to say, he and Aria were swapping spit in no time.
I know all the ‘Ezria’ fans out there refuse to accept Jake as a part of Aria’s life, but I encourage them to reconsider. He’s a nice, age-appropriate guy who wants to keep Aria safe — and God knows that girl could use some protection. As long as ABC Family doesn’t pull a bait and switch, revealing Jake to be a secret criminal, I think Jake’s got real potential.
Plus, you know, those abs.
Odds & Ends
1. The final few scenes of the episode left us with plenty to chew on until next week. For starters, Jenna thinks it was CeCe Drake (Vanessa Ray) who pushed her into the lake, and it seemed like Shana agreed with her. And speaking of Shana, are she and Jenna more than friends? It wouldn’t shock me; I feel like everyone’s a lesbian on this show.
2. Ezra (Ian Harding) fighting Maggie for parental rights can’t possibly end well. Does anyone else think we’re going to learn that Malcolm isn’t his son?
3. Between Melrose Place and now Pretty Little Liars, Laura Leighton is a pro at playing ‘wrongfully arrested.’ I wonder if Ted really did pay her bail.
WATCH: Lucy Hale Talks Ezra-Aria-Jake Love Triangle
HollywoodLifers, what did you think of this week’s episode? Drop a comment with your review below!
— Andy Swift
More ‘Pretty Little Liars':
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’: Lucy Hale Predicts Long Separation For Aria & Ezra
- Sexy Crooner Mikey Wax Talks Music, Inspiration & ‘Pretty Little Liars’
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Recap: [Spoiler] Confesses To Killing Detective Wilden