Dying 2-Year-Old Boy Serves As Best Man At Parents’ Wedding

Mon, August 5, 2013 4:32pm EDT by 13 Comments
Boy Leukemia Best Man
Courtesy of Facebook

Such a bittersweet, yet touching story. A 2-year-old boy who only has weeks to live served as the best man at his parents’ wedding on August 3 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Christine Swidorsky and Sean Stevenson planned to have their wedding in July of 2014, but recently got the news that their 2-year-old son, Logan, only has a few more weeks to live. The couple quickly planned a ceremony so he could be a part of it, serving as the best man.

Boy With Leukemia Is Best Man In Parents’ Wedding

Christine carried Logan on her shoulder as she walked down the aisle on August 3. During the short ceremony, he stood with his grandmother, Debbie Stevenson. Logan was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia just after his first birthday. He has a few procedures in attempt to get rid of the disease, including a stem cell transplant in July of 2012 and removal of a tumor-ridden kidney, but unfortunately none have made his condition any better, reports The Associated Press.

His parents had a July 2014 wedding set, but after a visit to the emergency room in July revealed a mass in his other kidney, doctors gave him an terminal prognosis. Although they received this extremely sad news, Christine and Sean decided to make the most of their time they have left with their son and quickly put together a backyard ceremony just weeks after Logan’s prognosis so it could be something their family could do together, reports AP. In a bittersweet family affair, Christine’s 13-year-old daughter, Isabella Johns, served as a bridesmaid and the couple’s one-year-old, Savannah, was the flower girl. Christine told Pittsburgh’s NBC affiliate WPXI she couldn’t have asked for a better way to exchange nuptials.

This is our dream come true. All our family together and we’re all together celebrating, the celebration of my son’s life and the celebration of our marriage.

Logan Stevenson Spending His Final Days At Home

Due to Logan’s terminal prognosis, doctors said treatment wouldn’t be beneficial at this point. They told Christine and Sean that spending time at home where he is showered with love would be what’s best for him, as he would feel less pain that way. Sean told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he feels lucky to be able to spend as much time as possible with his son in his last few weeks of life.

I just am thankful that I am able to bring my son home and have time with him and hold him before he goes. So in that sense, I feel lucky that I at least get to say goodbye to my son … and tell him it’s going to be okay.

Kellie Young, Logan’s aunt, told the newspaper that although won’t be around much longer, even at 2 years old, Logan has made an impact in his short time.

For such a small person, he has touched thousands of people.

It’s definitely bittersweet, but it’s so touching that the family could spend such a special time together. Do you think it was sweet for Logan’s parents to include him and his siblings in their wedding, HollyMoms?

WATCH: 2-Year-Old Logan Stevenson Serves As Best Man In Parents’ Wedding

– Taylor Weatherby

More Inspiring Cancer Patients:

1. George H.W. Bush Shaves Head To Support Toddler, 2, Battling Cancer
  2. Brain Cancer Patient Wins Marathon Pushing Daughter, 6, In Stroller
  3. Friends Of Terminailly Ill Girl, 14, Bring Prom To Her Hospital Room

will

Posted at 2:19 AM on August 16, 2013

R.I.P kiddo I heard you died two days later I started to cry man I hope the family is doing alright I want to donate money to them if anyone can help me to contact them I would be very happy

Joan

Posted at 4:31 PM on August 7, 2013

I just wonder how well this little boy was feeling with all the hype and noise going on around him. I would hope he was happy with the situation instead of being too overwhelmed and tired to want it to go on.

Hadto Comment

Posted at 12:37 AM on August 7, 2013

This story really affected me as I have a 5 year old niece who has recovered from leukemia after developing it at 2 years old. Being a new mom to a 9 month old, my heart breaks for this family! So happy he was able to be a part of his parent’s wedding. May this beautiful boy RIP.

Laurie

Posted at 12:39 AM on August 6, 2013

If I had just learned my son were dying, I wouldn’t spend any time on wedding preparation or the acutal wedding…every minute would be spent with my child – kind of selfish if you ask me.

J.A.

Posted at 7:39 PM on August 5, 2013

God’s way of weeding out the weak, stupid, fat, and ugly. Who cares. Population control.

Amanda

Posted at 8:07 PM on August 5, 2013

Maybe god will come to you next after all you must be stupid to comment so cruelly on such a sad article.

Stacy

Posted at 1:20 AM on August 6, 2013

You are a very sick individual that is asking for the wrong attention on this page. Who do you think you are, Amanda Bynes? You need to seek medical attention because you have low self esteem. You are a coward and a worthless piece of crap for even commenting such filth. You sit behind your computer and take everything for granted like you are entitled. I hope someone traces your comment and comes after you and you have to beg for your life… Just so you get a reality check its not worth being so godamn heartless.

T

Posted at 10:50 AM on August 6, 2013

how can you say that, God will punish you

susi

Posted at 5:34 PM on August 5, 2013

I wish with all my heart for our GOOD GOD to help the 2y old boy, for him to have a longer and happy life with his family and friends. Amen.

J.A.

Posted at 7:40 PM on August 5, 2013

lauren1976

Posted at 1:54 AM on August 6, 2013

@J.A Your a sick BASTARD!!!! What kind of deranged mind do you have!!! Hope GOD PUNISHES YOU!!
what a SICKO!!!!!!!

jamie

Posted at 2:20 AM on August 6, 2013

ur the one who is weak, stupid, fat and ugly… maybe not your appearance but your character is…and u have the nerve to Mention God’s name!!!..such a heartless lowlife bastard!!!!…u make me sick!!!

Hadto Comment

Posted at 12:32 AM on August 7, 2013

JA, are you F’N KIDDING ME!?? Sounds like your mission in life is to get a rise out of people. Sounds like worthlessness is your calling.