Michael Ansara: Iconic ‘Star Trek’ Actor Dies At 91

Sun, August 4, 2013 9:34am EDT by 10 Comments
Michael Ansara Dies
Courtesy of ABC

So sad. The iconic actor who played one of the most memorable villains on ‘Star Trek’ passed away on July 31 in his home in Calabasas, Calif. after a long illness.

Michael Ansara, who will always be remembered as Kang, the villainous Klingon leader in Star Trek, died on July 31, according to his former agent Michael B. Druxman. He was 91 years old.

Michael Ansara: Legendary Actor Passes Away

Michael’s agent announced his passing on August 3, stating that he died after a long battle with an illness related to Alzheimer’s in his home in Calabasas, Calif.

The classic actor brought his talents as the mysterious and thrilling Klingon leader to three different incarnations of Star Trek, first in the original series and then in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager.

But Michael also had an illustrious career outside of the iconic sci-fi series. Known for playing Native American characters and many other ethnicities, Michael’s acting credits include work on dozens of TV shows like Broken ArrowLaw of the PlainsmanI Dream of GenieHawaii 5-0, and Murder She Wrote, and comic book fans will remember him as the voice of Mr. Freeze in the animated Batman series.

He also starred in countless movies such as Julius CaesarThe Greatest Story Ever Told, and John Wayne’s The Comancheros.

Michael was formerly married to Barbara Eden, the iconic actress from I Dream of Genie; they divorced in 1974. Three years later Michael married Beverly Kushida, who he stayed with until the day he died. Upon hearing the news of his death, Barbara tweeted, “He was a good man, a good father & a fantastic actor who had a long and full life.”

That really is the best way to look at it. Michael will be missed, but his legacy is everlasting. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Michael’s friends and family during this difficult time.

CNN

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More Sad Deaths:

1. James Gandolfini Dead: ‘Sopranos’ Actor Dies In Italy
  2. JJ Cale: Iconic Musician Dies At 74
  3. David ‘Kidd’ Kraddick: Radio Personality Dies At 53

Ricardo Alaniz

Posted at 3:28 AM on January 7, 2014

Micheal inspired me to want to be a friend of Cochise after watching his performances, Something about his facial expressions showed me he was one of the great ones, an actor far ahead of those who wish to be his friend, as for me, I wish I would have met him. When I die I Will.

beltman713

Posted at 4:50 AM on August 5, 2013

I think you mean “I dream of JEANNIE”

ABBIEUE54

Posted at 1:59 PM on August 4, 2013

Unbelievable~~Wow~ My friend Lynn has just married to a handsome black man met through ~~InterracìalCirclě. Ç/o/m~ They told me it is a Specialist interracial online dating & social networking site specifically for black and white singles interested in an interracial dating and relationship. You can find the man or girl of your dreams. Love me love my color.zxvzv

abe

Posted at 10:52 AM on August 4, 2013

his former wife was the true force behind him, folks!!

PBlank

Posted at 11:59 AM on August 5, 2013

His current wife is the most thougthtful, caring and loving person I know…Mr Ansara and Beverly were together for 40 years…Mr Ansara was an incredible, loving and ‘real’ human being…it was my honor to know him

PBlank

Posted at 1:29 PM on August 6, 2013

Idiot

LissaCaldina

Posted at 10:01 AM on August 4, 2013

Liz

Posted at 9:53 AM on August 4, 2013

R.I.P. Michael grew up watching Broken Arrow

grannysweetums

Posted at 12:15 PM on August 5, 2013

i did also, loved that show. it would be a great one to show on the oldies channels . he was a grat actor

DavidUUQE

Posted at 9:49 AM on August 4, 2013

Wow…My friend Hanna has just married to a millionaire, they met via .. ~~~
Rìchfìshes.ōrg
.. designed for the elite, a place where you can meet attorneys, political figures, investors, millionaires, doctors, celebrities and models, etc. Date the elite,Take a try. dsfdsfsdd