13-Year-Old Dies From Peanut Butter Allergy After Accidental Ingestion

Wed, July 31, 2013 11:25am EDT by 11 Comments
Girl Dies Peanut Allergy
Courtesy Photo

How tragic! A young girl has died after suffering a severe allergic reaction to peanut butter! Natalie was at a summer camp in California with her family when she ate a Rice Krispie treat that she did not know contained peanut butter. Read on for more of this devastating story.

Thirteen-year-old Natalie Giorgio was enjoying a summer night with her family at Sacramento Camp in El Dorado County, California on July 26 when she became violently ill after unknowingly ingesting a peanut butter Rice Krispie treat. While the girl immediately spit out the treat, it was too late — she was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Natalie Giorgio Passes Away From Allergic Reaction To Peanut Butter

Natalie was always careful with what she ate, knowing how dangerous her peanut allergy was. Unfortunately, when a tray of refreshments were passed around in the dark of the outdoors, she didn’t think twice about grabbing a Rice Krispie treat. Although she spit it out quickly after realizing it contained peanut butter, she began vomiting after 20 minutes. She had trouble breathing, then suffered anaphylactic shock and went into cardiac arrest.

Her father Louis Giorgi, a physician, acted quickly when Natalie alerted her mother about what had happened, administering three doses of Epipens, a family friend told 10 News. This injection delivers epinephrin to the body during an allergic reaction, but unfortunately even this quick response was unsuccessful.

Family Fights To Get Message About How Dangerous Food Allergies Can Be

While the family is obviously distraught over the terrible situation, they are doing their best to stay strong, and more importantly, make sure that no more families suffer the severe loss that they experienced, saying in a statement:

While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life threatening.

Natalie’s parents are hoping that the death of their daughter will help people realize how severe and common allergies are, especially peanut allergies.

Our thoughts are with the Giorgio family during this extremely difficult time.

HollyMoms, peanut allergies are VERY common. Do you or your child have a peanut allergy?

WATCH: Teenage Girl Dies At Popular Campsite

Subscribe to me on YouTube

Mail Online

10 News

— Lindsay Goldstein

More Tragic HollyBaby Stories:

  1. Boy, 2, Dies In Hot Car After Dad Passes Out Drunk Inside Home
  2. Mother Gets 35 Years For Leaving Son, 2, To Die In Hot Car
  3. Baby Dies, Toddler Hospitalized After Being Left In Hot Cars