13-Year-Old Dies From Peanut Butter Allergy After Accidental Ingestion

Wed, July 31, 2013 11:25am EDT by 11 Comments
Girl Dies Peanut Allergy
Courtesy Photo

How tragic! A young girl has died after suffering a severe allergic reaction to peanut butter! Natalie was at a summer camp in California with her family when she ate a Rice Krispie treat that she did not know contained peanut butter. Read on for more of this devastating story.

Thirteen-year-old Natalie Giorgio was enjoying a summer night with her family at Sacramento Camp in El Dorado County, California on July 26 when she became violently ill after unknowingly ingesting a peanut butter Rice Krispie treat. While the girl immediately spit out the treat, it was too late — she was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Natalie Giorgio Passes Away From Allergic Reaction To Peanut Butter

Natalie was always careful with what she ate, knowing how dangerous her peanut allergy was. Unfortunately, when a tray of refreshments were passed around in the dark of the outdoors, she didn’t think twice about grabbing a Rice Krispie treat. Although she spit it out quickly after realizing it contained peanut butter, she began vomiting after 20 minutes. She had trouble breathing, then suffered anaphylactic shock and went into cardiac arrest.

Her father Louis Giorgi, a physician, acted quickly when Natalie alerted her mother about what had happened, administering three doses of Epipens, a family friend told 10 News. This injection delivers epinephrin to the body during an allergic reaction, but unfortunately even this quick response was unsuccessful.

Family Fights To Get Message About How Dangerous Food Allergies Can Be

While the family is obviously distraught over the terrible situation, they are doing their best to stay strong, and more importantly, make sure that no more families suffer the severe loss that they experienced, saying in a statement:

While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life threatening.

Natalie’s parents are hoping that the death of their daughter will help people realize how severe and common allergies are, especially peanut allergies.

Our thoughts are with the Giorgio family during this extremely difficult time.

HollyMoms, peanut allergies are VERY common. Do you or your child have a peanut allergy?

WATCH: Teenage Girl Dies At Popular Campsite

Subscribe to me on YouTube

Mail Online

10 News

– Lindsay Goldstein

More Tragic HollyBaby Stories:

  1. Boy, 2, Dies In Hot Car After Dad Passes Out Drunk Inside Home
  2. Mother Gets 35 Years For Leaving Son, 2, To Die In Hot Car
  3. Baby Dies, Toddler Hospitalized After Being Left In Hot Cars

Leave a Reply

To comment, please fill in the fields below, enter your comment and select the Comment button.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

View Comment

メンズ 時計

Posted at 11:09 PM on September 4, 2013  

激安citizen カンパノラ

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Michael

Posted at 8:55 PM on August 30, 2013  

3 epi pen shots? Does anybody know what is in an epi pen shot?? Yes, it is adrenaline. 3 shots of adrenaline to a young heart. That can’t be good for anyone no matter what their size. Epi pens make your heart beat very rapidly. This times three has to be near lethal in that short amount of time. Has anyone questioned why she was given 3 shots?

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Rachel

Posted at 10:11 PM on August 5, 2013  

My daughter has a peanut allergy.
Why does a camp serve peanut butter??
You cannot trust anyone serving food to your child with an allergy.
Most people are not knowledgeable about allergies .

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Guest

Posted at 6:38 AM on August 1, 2013  

What a beautiful girl. My heart goes out to the family. A tragic loss.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Michelle

Posted at 9:07 PM on July 31, 2013  

Im shocked that the camp had peanut snacks. Most schools here in Canada have a ban. Kids arent even allowed to bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just in case. So for a kids camp, I would have never even had them available.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Mrs. wright

Posted at 5:17 PM on July 31, 2013  

So sad. Peanut allergies are so dangerous. Please be mindful of this fact when preparing foods for guests. It doesn’t hurt to ask if anyone has food allergies prior to a gathering. Plan ahead for those of us who have food allergies. If you have food allergies…bring your own snacks, just in case you aren’t sure of all the ingredients in your food.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Scarlett

Posted at 1:19 PM on July 31, 2013  

So Sorry for this family. My child too has a peanut allergy that we carry Epi pens for. This terrifies me, as he starts kindergarten this year. Prayers sent to you from MS.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Liz

Posted at 1:17 PM on July 31, 2013  

I heard another young person died a few weeks ago the same thing reaction from Peanut butter or peanut oil. I have asthma and sometimes nuts can trigger an attack. My heart goes out to the family

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

Steph

Posted at 12:14 PM on July 31, 2013  

My prayers go out to the family. Very sad. I have a son with the same peanut allergy. Everyone please educate yourselves well, some people can go into anaphylactic shock just by touching something that someone else who had peanut butter on their hands. When they say please bring food with no peanuts or any other food allergy to keep a person safe (young or old) please do it. It so sad to have to read a story like this.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

justmyopinion

Posted at 11:49 AM on July 31, 2013  

oh man! that is just terrible. my thought and prayers go out to her and her family.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

abe

Posted at 11:44 AM on July 31, 2013  

I’ve never read such a story…………..
(very serios though)

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter