Shailene Woodley: The Reason She Doesn’t Wear Makeup Revealed

Fri, July 26, 2013 1:29pm EDT by 9 Comments
Shailene Woodley WIthout Makeup
PacificCoastNews

It is not often that you see a young celebrity on the red carpet without makeup. Usually, when we catch stars without makeup they’re going shopping for groceries — but not this starlet! Shailene Woodley strives for a realistic image of Hollywood beauty for her young fans. Find out all about why Shailene doesn’t wear makeup to events below!

On July 24, Golden Globe-nominated actress Shailene Woodley, 21, discussed her choice to go makeup-free with Flavorwire. In an age of photoshop, Shailene seeks to reveal the truth to magazine readers everywhere, by allowing fans to see that pictures in magazines aren’t always what they seem. As an up-and-coming Hollywood megastar, Shailene has taken it upon herself to change the way women see themselves by refusing to take part in a world that she believes makes women feel bad about themselves. In doing so, Shailene prefers to go all natural, without makeup.

Shailene Woodley WIthout Makeup –Why She Goes Bare-Faced On The Red Carpet

Shailene has admitted that she is not a fan of the way Hollywood portrays women’s images in an unrealistic fashion. She admits that she has a problem blending in with this culture. Shailene discussed her feelings with Flavorwire:

I saw somebody — who I thought was me — in a magazine once, and I had big red lips that definitely did not belong on my face. I had boobs about three times the size they are in real life. My stomach was completely flat. My skin was also flawless. But the reality is that I do not have those lips and my skin is not flawless and I do have a little bit of a stomach. It was not a proper representation of who I am. I realized that, growing up and looking at magazines, I was comparing myself to images like that — and most of it isn’t real.

Shailene sheds this fabricated Hollywood image by attending events without makeup, which is how she feels most comfortable. “I (a) don’t really wear makeup that much anyway, so part of it is just a selfish, lazy thing, and (b) I want to be me. I do think it’s fun sometimes to dress up for the Oscars or for certain events — I get to be like a five-year-old again, wearing my Cinderella dress. But for some events where it’s a more casual vibe, I just want to be me.”

We’re glad that Shailene is comfortable in her own skin and think that she is a great role model for young girls everywhere. Plus, she looks great no matter what!

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Do you agree with Shailene’s  stance on Hollywood beauty? Do you think she looks good without makeup? Let us know!

WATCH: Shailene Woodley – Body Peace Breakthrough

– Katie Kravat

More Shailene Woodley News:

1. Shailene Woodley’s Dramatic Hair Makeover — Love It? Vote
  2. Shailene Woodley’s Great Hair Secrets Revealed
  3. Shailene Woodley Dyes Hair Red For ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2′

Jill

Posted at 12:22 PM on October 12, 2013

good for her. i think that’s great. :)

why are y’all hating on her so badly? haha even some of the positive comments are followed up in the same breath by a negative one (from the same commentator)

Denise

Posted at 5:43 PM on July 26, 2013

oh come on! who really falls for this crap? no make-up on the hollywood events? Really? Ok, she might not be packing her make-up like Kim Kardashian, but with all those cameras and lights, honey, trust me she is wearing some make-up. At comic-con, she was wearing make-up. At The View, she was wearing make-up. Why lie about it? How does that help girls who might think she looks naturally gorgeous and photogenic? If she hates wearing make-up, just say that, but don’t pretend you aren’t. Ugh.

Dana

Posted at 9:50 AM on August 3, 2013

she never said she never wore makeup…she did specify that she wore some to events and such and occasionally likes wearing it so get off her case. People these days are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Rachel

Posted at 2:54 PM on July 26, 2013

It’s good to go make-up free. I think it’s better for your self-esteem. I doubt it feels good when you see yourself dolled up all the time and then, at night, see your true self. The stark contrast would hurt anyone’s feelings. If you don’t wear make-up, you learn to appreciate yourself for the way you are – not concealing, no contouring, just you. And, honestly, the fact that so many young women are obsessed with make-up is rather ironic. They’re desperate to look better today only to sacrifice tomorrow. There’s so much pulling and tugging that comes with wearing and removing make-up that premature aging is inevitable.

Lastly, I have trouble believing she’s an “up-and-coming Hollywood megastar”. I watched Secret Life. And, like the show, she was rubbish. It seems she’s quite sensible though and that’s quite refreshing. :)

gbtw

Posted at 2:09 PM on July 26, 2013

do it as long as you can, girl… but, eventually, you’re likely to cave and want to conceal the hands of time. but- you should be good for maybe even another decade!

ericacrystal (@ericacrystal1)

Posted at 2:02 PM on July 26, 2013

as Rachel said I am surprised that people can profit $9585 in 1 month on the internet. have you read this website ….. w­w­w.B­B­C­1­3.c­o­m

juanita

Posted at 1:48 PM on July 26, 2013

I’m so happy to see that someone hasn’t been brainwashed by all the fame. It’s a breath of fresh o air knowing that people she is comfortable in he own skin and that she doesn’t have to feel like she needs all those extras enhancements to be beautiful. Other celebrities should take note of that else silly reality stars. Most women in Hollywood are fake anyway almost everything from teeth to feet it’s sad bc that’s what they have made people think that they are perfect. # theyneedgodintheylife

pacha

Posted at 2:43 PM on September 2, 2013

I think more women should go natural. I wear makeup on special occasions, and if ever a guy tells me that i should wear makeup, i would say “why don’t you?” “and while u’re at it, wear a girdle too and get a boob reduction”.

Abbey

Posted at 9:17 PM on June 25, 2014

I am not usually into commenting, but I just had to say: that comment made me laugh. I think we would be friends if I knew you. Don’t ever change that opinion:)