‘America’s Got Talent’: Collins Key Needs To Make The Finals

Wed, July 24, 2013 1:49pm EDT by 11 Comments
Courtesy of YouTube

To be honest, I’ve never been all that interested in magicians — but that changed when Collins magically appeared on my TV screen.

From the moment I first saw Collins Key and his captivating magic tricks on the second week of auditions, I’ve been hooked. America’s Got Talent is the perfect platform for Collins to showcase his abilities — and hopefully make it to the final rounds of the competition!

Collins Connects With The Audience

Of all the magicians I saw audition on America’s Got Talent, Collins was the one I couldn’t forget. He doesn’t just stand on stage and do card tricks, or an extravagant disappearing act; he actually connects with the judges and audience.

This 17-year-old’s first audition in San Antonio was what sealed the deal for me, when he created the illusion of transporting a dollar bill into a popcorn bag. He had previously borrowed a dollar from judge Howie Mandel and written down the serial number. He then lit the dollar on fire and made Mel B open the popcorn bag only to discover the burned dollar bill with the exact serial number!

Collins manages to incorporate the judges into all his auditions. That’s what I love about him, he’s not afraid to get up close and personal with the judges. He commands their attention as well as the audience’s every time he is on stage.

Howie put it well when he said, “You continue to dazzle us. I think you are the new face of magic for young people and for families.”

I’m not saying the other contestants aren’t talented. Collins is just the one I always seem to remember. There’s never been a magician that has won America’s Got Talent and I think if Collins keeps it up, he could make it to the final round!

Do you agree with me about Collins, HollywoodLifers? Let me know!

WATCH: Collins Key Wows Judges On ‘America’s Got Talent’

– Avery Thompson

More On ‘America’s Got Talent’:

1. ‘America’s Got Talent’ Recap: Branden James Brings Down The House
  2. ‘America’s Got Talent’ Recap: Chloe Channell Stuns With Sass
  3. ‘America’s Got Talent’ Recap: 212 Green Rocks Out To Adele

Becca

Posted at 3:17 AM on July 28, 2013

Except that he stole all these tricks from Justin Willman. We just saw his show a few months ago.. AND he did them on Ellen over a year ago. This kid is a fraud.

mentalmania

Posted at 7:57 PM on July 29, 2013

I disagree with that Becca. Today, I saw a lot of hype saying the same thing. MANY magicians have done thus effect. MANY with “dreaming” as the storyline. In fact JUSTIN also purchased this effect and followed in the footsteps of others. They are both very fun to watch. They both seem like creative guys. However, Justin seems a bit cocky and full of himself to the point that he claims he invented this idea and owns it (seen on magic forums and sites today). I was on the fence in this until seeing that Collins actually tweeted using technology and Justin told an *eh* “story” of tweeting… which never happened due to cell problems. Weird story line. In fact, if you watch again, Justin’s version is pretty weak in that regard. He tweeted himself/plugged his own twitter name, but there was no tweeting. I found that strange. Also, Justin put the marketed box onto a table and we can clearly see him futzing with it. I know AGT has serious tie restraints and Collins kicked some serious butt in my opinion. In the end, they are both pretty awesome. Justin has made a nice name for himself… he needs to make room for another star as well.

Jayda

Posted at 6:17 PM on August 4, 2013

Collins kicked some serious *tuchas, that is ;) Well said!

Jayda

Posted at 6:16 PM on August 4, 2013

Haha calling a magician a fraud is about the most illogical statement one can make…Unless you actually expect them to do REAL “magic”, then they’re all frauds because everything is a TRICK. But that’s the fun of it! And there are only so many tricks out there, part of magic shows is to take an old trick and make it BETTER! That’s exactly what Collins did. He is a great showman and performed his trick about as slick as possible. Kudos to him, and good luck at the semi-finals!

Jayda

Posted at 11:23 PM on July 24, 2013

Basically what NoMagic said, when he pulls out the container, you can see how he holds it on the bottom so nothing falls out because it’s actually a hole. The back of the box must have been a flap and he put the paper through the flap into the tube… I don’t know how he did it so swiftly, though. So glad he went through! I still haven’t figured out his previous tricks…

Jeremy Swanson (@Jrharha)

Posted at 3:23 AM on July 26, 2013

There is clearly no hole in the box and you can clearly see in the video that there is no freakin hole on the container that the paper is in because he tips it to where you can clearly see the white back of it. Also, where the hell did you see him reach under the ladder?? He simply didn’t reach under the ladder even for a second. You must be imagining things. Your argument is invalid.

Jayda

Posted at 10:39 PM on July 28, 2013

Start watching from 3:05 his arm does an awkward movement (quickly from under the ladder and into the box- why else would it be there like that?) and yes he had to be very swift but he practiced a lot! Also, the box and container both had flaps that came downwards but when you pushed on it, it was like a doggie door and it opened. I’m not saying this is definitely how he did it, it was simply a suggestion that is completely logical, but if you’re in denial simply because you don’t want to believe that some one could solve his trick, then I can’t help you. You seriously need to calm down though. Like bloody hell it’s okay! Haha anyways I still LOVE Collins! He is a slick performer and an amazing showman and I still have no idea as to how he did the previous 2 tricks, nor am I positive that this is how he did the #Tuchas one, it was simply a SUGGESTION. Totally voting for him and rooting that he goes all the way in this competition :)

Jayda

Posted at 4:44 PM on July 24, 2013

I think I know how he did it. He had someone back stage write down the answers while the judges said them and then they put the paper under the ladder. When the guy brought the ladder in, Collins reached under the ladder and put the paper in the box before he opened it, that’s why his hand was kind of awkward behind the box when he took it down…He’s still amazing, though.

Piper

Posted at 7:45 PM on July 24, 2013

Then how did he get the PAPER inside the SEALED TUBE?!?

NoMagic

Posted at 9:51 PM on July 24, 2013

The bottom of the container was not sealed and he slipped the paper in through the bottom as he lifted it out.

NoMagic

Posted at 9:54 PM on July 24, 2013

You can actually see the word “Colins” appear in the container after it shows the blank black card in the first shot.