Demi Lovato Admits: ‘Even Before Barney, I Was Suicidal’ At Age Seven

Mon, July 1, 2013 12:35pm EDT by 8 Comments
Courtesy of Cosmopolitan Magazine

The songstress candidly opens up about the emotional despair that plagued her from an early age in her latest interview with ‘Cosmopolitan’ magazine. On the cover, she looks cool and confident flashing her bra in a plunging mini — she has come so far!

Demi Lovato is stronger than ever — and it certainly shows on Cosmopolitan‘s August cover! The 20-year-old X Factor judge admits that she grew up with “obstacles that [she] was able to overcome.” Inside she tells the mag about her life, what she dealt with and how she made it to 21, because “some people don’t.” Read on for more from her telling interview.

Demi Lovato, Suicidal?

The star got her start on Barney and Friends at the age of 7 — and even at that tender young age she struggled with mental illness. “At the time, I was just so grateful to be on TV, but I was also really struggling. Looking back, there was a connection, probably between any kid who’s ever sang that song to Barney, a little place in a child’s heart, a void, that could be filled. And maybe Barney fills it. Even before Barney, I was suicidal. I was seven. With Barney, I guess subliminally, I did have a relationship with this figure that was saving my life in a way… I’ve talked about being bullied and the years of being a teenager, but I went through things when I was younger that I’ve never talked about that probably caused me to turn out the way I ended up turning out,” she says.

Demi Lovato On Growing Up Too Fast — What Happened?

Demi wasn’t too keen on opening up and sharing the deeper meaning behind the lyrics of her new song, “Warrior.” “My family knows what it’s about. When I’m ready to open up that subject with the outside world, then I’ll be free to talk about it. But right now, it’s kind of one of those things where the lyrics speak for me. It’s all in the song,” she says.

Exposing Her History Of Personal Abuse:

Lovato touches upon her history of bulimia and claims: “I’m not super religious, but I grew up Christian and I believe in God. When I’m in L.A., I don’t talk about it that much because people are very judgmental, but I just feel like God gave me a voice, not just to sing with. He put me through those things, which seemed horrible at the time, but they were so worth it. With the obstacles I’ve overcome, I can help people.”

She’s so inspiring!

Her brave reveal in the August issue of Cosmopolitan shows that she is strong and good-willed — and she has the passion to influence others. Be sure to get the exclusive details in the new issue of the mag when it hits newsstands on July 9.

-Ava Carnevale

More Demi Lovato News:

1. Demi Lovato Is Pretty In Prints On ‘Fashion’ Magazine
  2. Demi Lovato’s Dad Dies: How Wilmer Valderrama Has Been Her Rock
  3. Demi Lovato: Gorgeous Natural Beauty At ‘GMA’ Concert

online brillenhändler

Posted at 1:36 AM on July 27, 2013

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up something new from
right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this site,
as I experienced to reload the website many
times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK?
Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score
if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.

Ashley

Posted at 10:53 PM on July 13, 2013

I love Demi she has amazing real talent. She is not only an inspiration to me but many other girls and boys. When people hate on her it’s very sad. Like really? Grow the hell up if you don’t like her don’t waste your time commenting. Go hurt somebody else not somebody who is so meaningful to the world. I mean really so many people are jealous of Demi not many people have the courage to do the things she has. She deserves so many good things. I just can’t stand when ignorant people hate on her.

lynnlovatic

Posted at 4:15 PM on July 14, 2013

I get what you mean. I feel the same!! I love Demi so much and it’s pretty obvious that the people who are ‘hating’ on her are just so jealous, in the end it’s kind of pathetic what people do when they can’t handle their envy

crystal

Posted at 12:55 AM on July 2, 2013

Shouldn’t her parents have had her committed or something, by then. Then maybe she could have kept in to herself if she got the help she need and people wouldn’t be calling her crazy

kelly

Posted at 11:10 PM on July 1, 2013

this just sounds dumb. suicidal at age 7? wtf? who even knows what suicide is at age 7? this is just dumb

lynnlovatic

Posted at 4:13 PM on July 14, 2013

don’t be judgmental at all if you don’t know anything about this

Jing

Posted at 8:47 AM on July 22, 2013

Seriously you have no idea, in fact WE all have no idea what demi lovato has been through! So just please will you stop over reacting about how a seven can’t be suicidal. Be open minded. Because we all have no idea

KuKii