Paula Deen Apologizes On ‘Today': Fans React On Twitter

Wed, June 26, 2013 10:45am EDT by 17 Comments
Paula Deen Cries Today Show
Courtesy of NBC

Arlene

Posted at 11:54 PM on May 22, 2014

Good day! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and
say I really enjoy reading through your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums
that deal with the same topics? Thanks for your time!

bokiluis

Posted at 11:45 PM on June 26, 2013

At the end of the day, it is what is in her heart. How does she feel about interracial marriages within her personal life. That tells you what she truly meant.

Shantella Sherman

Posted at 11:31 PM on June 26, 2013

Love it when the sobbing produces NO tears… This was bad drama and she deserves everything that is happening to her.

Donna

Posted at 12:14 AM on June 27, 2013

I agree that sobbing with no tears is bad drama. If Paula Deen had really shed tears, I would have believed her apology was sincere. I think she is trying to save face. I like Paula, but really Paula, you’re telling me you don’t really know if the N Word is offensive to people of color in today’s world? Now, you are playing stupid! I do not believe in throwing stones for we “ALL HAVE SINNED”. Yes, no one is perfect. But, I think Paula needs to do some soul searching and like Dr. Phil would say, “OWN IT”! You will have more of my respect and forgiveness. This does not make you a bad person, but to learn from this life experience and be able to move on, you have to realize that there are consequences for your actions. Suffer the consequences and try to make things right from this day forward. You will not please everyone, but in the end it is not what people think; it will be what God thinks. It’s sad that because someone is in the public eye, that they suffer more than the person who does the same act of unkindness who is not in the public eye, but only God knows your heart!

Praying for Paula Deen so she can see again!

steelerfan

Posted at 2:04 PM on June 27, 2013

To begin with Paula said this in private 30 YEARS AGO! Get over yourself and find something more important to comment about.

MeOhMy

Posted at 11:13 PM on June 26, 2013

Guess I am a bit “late” in hearing it either that or I really missed the whole story about when and what she said (besides “the word”). If it was like years ago like when she was young, since I keep hearing it brought up about it being a different “time” when she was growing up, then maybe it was way back in the day and she was young and learned from it…but if it was recently…then Shame on her. I honestly don’t think I have ever said that word but I grew up in a different time and we were taught that was a word you didn’t say and told different words. (Seriously…I am still not sure what the proper wording is…is it Black or is it African American? I don’t want to offend anyone, maybe I should just ask one of my friends)

About everyone getting on her case…if it was a while ago, like years…and even though I don’t like the word…I can’t “throw stones” at her for doing or saying something wrong…geez I have done and said plenty things that I really regret and would hate to be “beat up for them” by others when I already do that to myself.

steelerfan

Posted at 2:05 PM on June 27, 2013

Amen to that!

Dawn

Posted at 1:59 PM on June 26, 2013

I think this whole thing has gotten way out of hand! It is really sad to me but there was a time when that word was part of everyday culture. It sickens me to think of people being treated as “less” because of the color of their skin. Obviously being raised in the south in that time period Paula was exposed to that culture along with millions of others. But it doesn’t mean she agrees with it. And I challenge any who grew up in the south in that time to tell me that if they found themselves with a gun put to their head by a black man that the n-word wouldn’t enter their thoughts! geez get over it already! Is the word offensive? certainly! but so are spic, cracker, whore, slut and about a million other terms! Yet they continue to be a part of some peoples vocabulary. And I truly believe that the only reason the n-word is still so widely used is because the majority of blacks use the term freely. If you want it to go away stop using it! If you don’t have enough respect for yourselves to not call each other by that name, how can you expect others to?

katherine

Posted at 12:33 AM on June 27, 2013

I agree with Dawn, the N Word is still very offensive in the use of terms today. If the majority of African Americans use the N Word so freely then how can they expect the rest of the world not to use the same word. So, shame on EVERYONE who uses the N Word, and not just Paula Deen!!!

Paula Deen needs to learn from her own actions, and we pray she does the right thing next time, whatever it might be.

9 years old :)

anonymous313

Posted at 1:56 PM on June 26, 2013

Perhaps people are being hard on her but she should have been thinking about that before she said what she said. Everyone is responsible for what comes out of their mouth and she can’t act now like she never said it or it was a mistake. Her employer over heard her saying these things.
So now that it’s out she wants to go on TV and beg people to forgive you. Well, to err is human and to forgive is devine. However, don’t expect black people and people in general to forget. It was very irresponsible of her and just go to show you, that racism is still alive and well in 2013.

Dawn

Posted at 2:04 PM on June 26, 2013

Paula has not denied using the word at all. She was honest. As for her employee, read the court documents, the accusations of racism are not directed at Paula, they are directed at her brother. So is she now supposed to be responsible for what he said too? I think Paula hit it on the head when she said that someone else saw what she has accomplished and wants it for herself. It seems to be more and more common with our young people these days to want something for nothing! Just look at the thousands of frivolous law suits on the books.

steelerfan

Posted at 2:07 PM on June 27, 2013

I don’t know how old you are but to be responsible for every word out of your mouth in public and private for 20 or 30 years is asking a lot and she did show responsibility by apologizing. I guess i didn’t realize so many people out there are perfect and have never said anything in public or private that was wrong.

zyggie

Posted at 12:37 PM on June 26, 2013

Joke of an interview. Too soft. Not believeable. her reputation is already done for.
I wonder if the script had been flipped and whites were being treated in the manner inwhich paula herself has admitted to. I wonder if …..

cheryl little

Posted at 2:04 PM on June 26, 2013

Don’t throw stones unless you, yourself are perfect. Leave the woman alone unless you know her personally. We have all said and things we regret. A word said in her past does not make her a racist.

jjinfl

Posted at 2:59 PM on June 26, 2013

Amen. Paula should not have to be the whipping boy for all these perfect politically correct people as they criticize what they do not know personally. Enough is enough. Whether one lived in the north, south, or wherever, back in the day the word was used commonly, just as spic, honky, polock, and they still use words like redneck, fatso, f–you, etc.. Listen to a rapper or some of the disk jockeys and you’ll hear plenty of off color, imperfect language. We are aware now that it is hurtful to keep those old words in use in this new fabulous society where everyone considers themselves an authority on political correctness. Leave Paula alone. She has apologized and been taken from her job; Is that not enough punishment for speaking the truth in an investigation rather than lying out of it. Paula, move on and do good works as usual, Ignore the ignorance and barbs We still have some free speech allowed in this country, and you have apologized enough.

abe

Posted at 11:45 AM on June 26, 2013

pst: YOU’VE ALREADY EATEN?

wember

Posted at 11:11 AM on June 26, 2013

I am a black guy. i dont know if it is because i am not american. the N word doesn’t affect me at all. because lot of black people already say it all the time. I am african