What business does Paul have with the Crawleys? It might surprise you to learn what his ‘playboy’ character is all about!
Another American is crossing the pond! HollywoodLife.com‘s sister site TVLine reports that Paul Giamatti has been cast on Downton Abbey‘s upcoming fourth season, and he’s got a fun connection to the Crawley family. But before you start stressing out about yet another potential suitor for newly widowed Mary (Michelle Dockery), allow us to ease your troubled mind.
Paul will be playing Mary’s uncle – and Cora’s (Elizabeth McGovern) brother — Harold Levinson, who’s described by executive producer Gareth Neame as “free-spirited.”
Shirley MacLaine will also reprise her role as Martha Levinson, and it sounds like Harold takes after his mother a lot more than Cora.
EP Gareth also tells the site that Paul and Shirley’s characters will “upset the Grantham’s apple cart” on the season four finale. (Is it weird that I hope he’s speaking literally?)
More ‘Downton Abbey’ Season 4 Spoilers
Downton Abbey doesn’t return to the U.S. until Jan. 5, but we already have a pretty good idea of what we can expect from season 4:
1. Mary will be “miserable again,” following Matthew’s (Dan Stevens) death, Michelle says.
2. Anna (Joanne Froggatt) and Bates (Brendan Coyle) will experience a “brief period of happiness” before things turn dramatic.
3. Several new suitors — played by Tom Cullen and Julian Ovenden – will compete for Mary’s affections. And title.
4. Gary Carr will play jazz musician Jack Ross. Along with being the show’s first recurring black character, Jack will also have ties to Rose (Lily James).
HollywoodLifers, are you excited for season four? Drop a comment with your thoughts and predictions!
— Andy Swift
More ‘Downton Abbey’ :
- ‘Downton Abbey’: Michelle Dockery Previews ‘Miserable’ Mary In Season 4
- Diddy Makes His Debut On ‘Downton Abbey’ — Watch
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Season 4 Premiere Date Revealed