Paula Deen Fans Angry At Food Network For Dropping Her

Sat, June 22, 2013 4:15pm EST by 79 Comments
Paula Deen Racist Comments
Courtesy of NBC

Seb

Posted at 6:24 PM on June 23, 2013

there is nothing racist about having all black servers and a civil war party , i think thats pretty cool actually. I don’t know bout when she said nigga but who cares ?! Get over it

Mary

Posted at 3:04 PM on June 23, 2013

How refreshing it would be if food network could set the example and accept Paula’s apology for something that happened years ago and bring her back on TV. We all need to move on. Who hasn’t said or done something they regret? I think we would all want a second chance. One day the executives of food network or scripps might need forgiveness for something. I expect their attitude would be quite different when it applies to them.

Leah Holik

Posted at 2:55 PM on June 23, 2013

It’s human race and ethnic slur. She is old southern. She grew up with the word and not all people are able to look out for “you” at all times. Let’s face it, you’re only holding her accountable because she’s white. Blacks say the slangy Nigerian term all the time. ALL the time. I ride a city bus and that is all I hear. I see men’s panties and ethnic slurs all the time. I am latina and people call me the c word, b word, w word and I don’t get to demand respect, but everyone is a judge and expert on the “N” word. You might as well say the word we all know what it is.

Cc

Posted at 2:37 PM on June 23, 2013

Why is it always black vs white?? When white people die they turn black & blacks turn white!!!!! When anybody becomes a public figure, shouldn’t they want to enhance “POSITIVE” behavior at all times?? There’s good & bad in every race, which are you? Treat people how you want to be treated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

Posted at 1:20 PM on June 23, 2013

i do not think the N word should be said, however, it is said millions of times in movies and rap songs everyday. When we live in a country where anyone can say very crude things and even make and post awful videos and post on facebook about our own president for a laugh why in the world is everyone freaking out over something a cook said so long ago? I just dont get it.

Abby

Posted at 10:18 AM on June 23, 2013

LIBERAL IDIOTS….that’s what I think! Why should anyone ever want to change or better themselves if idiots like you would continue to hold them accountable for sins of their past. I’m sure the author of this article has never said anything or behaved in a way they regret. I didn’t realize this world was so full of perfect people.

Jonathan Rice

Posted at 8:53 AM on June 23, 2013

This website is liberal poop. Go F yourself.

Glad she's gone

Posted at 8:47 AM on June 23, 2013

Yes, I am glad she is gone because she is the most annoying person on the planet. Whenever she came on I had to turn the channel. She will be done by the end of the month which is not soon enough for me.

James Vannhain

Posted at 8:45 AM on June 23, 2013

According to this article, anything you have done in the past SHOULD be held against you for the rest of your life. “The sort of ignorance and prejudice that Paula admitted to has to be squashed, no matter how long ago it happened…” The author plainly feels that no one can ever be forgiven for something they have said or done in the past, so if a person does or says one thing wrong in their life they should be ostracized forever.

Kerry Hitch (@KerryHitch10)

Posted at 5:25 AM on June 23, 2013

If you think Albert`s story is impressive,, 3 weaks-ago my mum’s boy friend actually earned $7818 grafting a fourteen hour week from there apartment and their co-worker’s sister`s neighbour has done this for 9-months and errned more than $7818 in their spare time at there labtop. the information on this page, ……………. Rich6(dot)com

Personal Responsibility

Posted at 12:38 AM on June 23, 2013

Proven guilty or not, Paula has admitted her wrongdoing with using this word. Whether I accept her apology or not is irrelevant. I really don’t care whether Food Network keeps her show or not. I’m concerned that she take this opportunity to self-reflect and do the necessary work that may also help other people who have prejudice from their past that may affect their future. She may even get a new show out of it. It is sad that we are using the comments on this blog for further divide and to hold on to a behavior of prejudice and racism that we would rather not address in ourselves. It’s as if people are saying “just give us our cooking show and leave us to our sickness. Excuses such as “black people use it” or “that’s how it was back in the day” does not excuse our ability to change who we are now. Are we any different, or are we better at hiding it? Would Paula have ever addressed her prejudice background if she hadn’t been caught?

Cynthia Beattie

Posted at 3:24 AM on June 23, 2013

what Maya explained I am alarmed that a single mom can get paid ($)9110 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you seen this site… can99.ℂ­om

Bic

Posted at 12:23 AM on June 23, 2013

To those who judge there will be given to judgment, anybody that would hold something against someone that happened 20 years ago is totally ((((Cracked ! ))))
The statute of limitations runs out on robbery after 7 years ! of course all these little people who come up with these ” ((Lets get um Ideas )) are a bunch idealistic Crack heads anyway with nothing better to do than point the finger at somebody els , wonder if we really searched ,
what we could find in the past of some of them??

Babegirl27

Posted at 11:26 PM on June 22, 2013

Ofcourse racist white people don’t see enything wrong with her racist words! So of course they don’t think she should be punished for being a FAT racist but I’m so glad she is being called out for her words white folks can continue to support her but us black people should never support enything that has to do with the witch!!

Kath Stevenson

Posted at 11:48 PM on June 22, 2013

What you don’t seem to understand is that a lot of fans are about her age. We FOUGHT for civil rights and marched along with blacks for equality. We fought for equal schools and headstart programs. But a word doesn’t define someone’s talent!! It doesn’t define who they are. So don’t you dare go calling a lot of us “racist” because without us, the country would not have moved forward! If you think it was the blacks who changed our country, you are wrong! Yes, they demanded equal rights, but who do you think marched with them and got the laws CHANGED by the WHITE Congressmen in power?! We can put this in perspective! It honestly IS hard to get upset by a word when blacks call each other this label all the time. Want this word to go away??! Stop using it!! But don’t single out ONE Southern White Woman who is from another era!

DC

Posted at 10:18 AM on June 23, 2013

Well said Kath Stevenson!

taliba

Posted at 12:42 AM on June 25, 2013

You didn’t march with anybody. And if you did you shouldn’t have! Get thee behind me is what I’d say to her- she reminds me of everything about the South that I hate, but I don’t care if you watch her.

Kath Stevenson

Posted at 11:54 PM on June 22, 2013

And I have to add, Paula has lost a lot of weight. But who are you to go around using the F word? Many people cannot help that they are fat so what difference does that have to do with this discussion?? Do you even WATCH her show??! It seems to me that you are a bigot against fat people! Should YOU lose your job??!

abe

Posted at 10:13 PM on June 22, 2013

those fans are old fashioned racists either…………..

Robin

Posted at 9:27 PM on June 22, 2013

Listening to all of these comments regarding Paula Deen brings me to realize that prejudice still exists…she made a mistake and Food Network left her go before her hearing & trial….guilty until proven innocent. Where is the support for the American Soldier or the term Proud to be an American when our President can’t even salute or acknowledge their existence time & time again. He serves us the American people, no matter what skin color we are, no matter our religious beliefs, etc. However, when it comes to showing American Pride or showing support for the military, he falls very short. There have been numerous times that have been witnessed and showed on national television where he can’t even bring himself to take a proper stance for the Pledge Of Allegiance but yet he is our leader.
Paula Deen is fired for something that happened years ago & has apologized. Are these the same people that are condemning her going to condemn their President when he can’t even show American Pride??????? Talk about “racism” & “prejudice”
Just doesn’t seem fair…..Just Saying!
This world is falling apart & we are going to condemn someone for saying the N-word. Let’s focus on something that is just a “tad” more important….the deterioration of our country & everything we should be standing for.

dela

Posted at 11:41 PM on June 22, 2013

To Robin: hip hip hooray for you! Well said and to the point. The entertainment industry is loaded with performers who use ethnic and racial slurs all the time.nothing is ever said. The View talk show has two co host who do that very thing. They make ethnic ,racial and political,slurs all the time.myou have Ms. Baher and Woopy Goldberg slurring about the German Nazzi all the time. Ms.Baher was rewarded by the net work with her own show.What a piece of work that is. The word in question is in the dictionary.So what’s next burning of all dictionaries.Not like burning books is anything new, happened in the past. I do not condone what she said. But an apology should be accepted.It was not right but let’s move on folks. Under our Constitution we are guarenteed freedom of speech- which she is being denied. The infraction occurred some time ago from what I understand , so this leads me to believe its all about MONEY…….MONEY! I remember Ms. Baher calling the sitting president Bush at the time: A big dope on the air. Not right and very disrespectful but no one jumped up and said it was improper.Food Network will see the backlash of the viewers. Boycott Food Network,folks that’s our only means of fighting back Boycott their sponsors as well.

kat

Posted at 2:12 AM on June 23, 2013

Good Lord you really need to stop watching faux lies. Your ignorance is mind boggling !!

taliba

Posted at 12:49 AM on June 25, 2013

I was about to say the same thing kat. I almost spit my juice out on the computer laughing at the responses of Robin and dela. Somehow the whole incident of Paula using racial epithets is Obama’s fault. Wow. Ignorance is bliss.

tiredofthedoublestandard

Posted at 8:54 PM on June 22, 2013

So Paula is punished for a word used years ago, but Mike Vick is welcomed back to football with open arms after fighting, beating, shooting dogs to death? Really!

nina

Posted at 7:58 PM on June 22, 2013

rednecks stick together, of course they do. I bet a lot of the comments are from people who aren’t even her fans but just don’t like that a redneck is being punished. What Paula sold was a nice grandma figure type, I liked her even if I didn’t like her cooking AT ALL. But that sweet image is shattered once you realize she’s got some of that old south ways in her that is casually racist and not even really aware of it.

Saywer

Posted at 9:28 PM on June 22, 2013

Your calling people rednecks, and using it in a negative way.. That makes you a racist too.

Mk

Posted at 7:08 AM on June 23, 2013

Nina, you did the same thing Paula did and don´t even realize it. Referring to people that you think are different than you as rednecks in a derogatory way is the same as using the word Paula has used. Why is the ¨r¨ word acceptable to you and the ¨n¨ word is not? I´m from the south and I don´t know what kind of ¨ways¨ you think we have but your ¨ways¨ are no different! Are you maybe casually bigoted and not aware of it? I´d say yes.

Linda

Posted at 7:58 PM on June 22, 2013

Shame on food network for jumping the gun before any out come of the case I always had my tv on food network every weekend I will no longer be watching nor will my family I don’t believe in what she said nor do I use nor do I believe in that word but food network should have done something with Ina Gartner when she refused to meet with the little boy who’s dying wish was to meet her but nothing was done with her after all the back lash or the fall out of that shame on u food network but u didn’t mind sitting up there taking the money she was making u guys u all r a bunch of Hippocrates hope food network loses viewers and lots of money

nina

Posted at 3:41 AM on June 23, 2013

honestly, your family will be better off not watching paula with her butter-mayo laden recipes.

Truly sorry? Hard to tell.

Posted at 7:00 PM on June 22, 2013

She encouraged unhealthy eating thru her fat-laden recipes despite outside criticism from fellow chefs and health officials. She didn’t bother to stop as fan’s dollars poured into her bank account until she developed diabetes herself. Never cared what negative influences she had or how many fans worsened their health copying her and her love of fatty unhealthy cooking. And now her use of derogatory terms. She didn’t think twice about talking that way — until she was caught. Apology? Smells of nothing but being self-serving. She’d still be speaking that way with no regard if she hadn’t “caught”… if no one complained. I’m a Northerner. Is this usual for some Southerners? If it is, then eyes need to be opened and let it begin with her. Show us you are truly repentant by doing work to spread the word and make a difference, for the next year or two. Until I see something like that, I can not allow myself to accept her scripted recording as sincere.

Kath Stevenson

Posted at 6:49 PM on June 22, 2013

Paula Deen made a lot of money for the Food Network. I am APPALLED at how they have acted. Blacks called themselves that same N word constantly! I DON’T use the word, but to fire someone for it who was raised in the south?? Shame on the Food Network!! I will not be watching ANYONE on that channel again. Why get close to one of the shows when this is how they treat them?! Food Network should definitely reconsider!!

Truly sorry? Hard to tell.

Posted at 7:09 PM on June 22, 2013

It’s not the same, her using the N word, and you know it. It’s even controversial among the black community re: young people using it among their friends and in their rap. You will need to come up with another excuse to support her. Celebrity figures who earn their living from our dollars have to be held to a higher standard. If you find nothing wrong with the way she spoke, until she was called out on it, then maybe look inward yourself.

jjinfl

Posted at 6:46 PM on June 22, 2013

This is just stupid non-news. We are talking about a verbal slur made by a Southern woman back in the day when the term was much more commonly used, and Food Network gets in a wad to fire her for her “Horrible racial bias.” Rappers coin the term on the air and onstage on a regular basis and nobody seems offended. She was honest when asked about it; should she have lied to keep her job? Just like our government, when politicians get all holier than thou and quickly find someone to throw under the bus when they have probably done or said the same things or worse. If I was Paula Deen, I would not even want to work for the stupid Food Network after they made such a huge deal out of this issue. She has plenty of money, has millions of loyal fans, .and lines of tourists around the block at her Savannah restaurant every day. She doesn’t need to spend any more time apologizing or worrying a bit. You Rock Paula. Forget it and move forward, girlfriend. What’s done is done.

Truly sorry? Hard to tell.

Posted at 7:21 PM on June 22, 2013

I’m glad I spent my life, five decades, hearing just a few ignorant people using verbal slurs. As a kid, as I got older, I was brave enough to call them out. Ignorant people can become enlightened. My 95 year old mother is a perfect example. She may have grown up when racism was more prevalent, but she knew it was wrong and never exposed us kids to it as we grew up. She shared with us examples of what things were like when she was growing up, and explained to us why it was so wrong. I wish she were still alive so I could thank her today. I never realized how wonderful her efforts were until I read some of the comments here.

When I grow you I want to be as perfect as Truly sorry? Hard to tell. and his saintly Mother. Ugh.

Posted at 7:31 PM on June 22, 2013

@Truly sorry? Hard to tell., One can only hope to be as pure as you and your mother, I take it her name was Mother Theresa and yours must be Jesus Christ? One must only hope to aspire to your level of superiority. Thank God your and your Mother have walked this Earth to make an example for those less fortunate to learn from. Bite me, you self righteous twat.

@"When I grow you I want to be..."

Posted at 11:23 PM on June 22, 2013

Don’t understand your name, but “When I grow you I want to be…” , sounds like you protest a bit too much, makes me think a raw nerve was hit. Hate to be reminded that you soiled your kids with your racist mouth?

sillywhiskers

Posted at 6:20 PM on June 22, 2013

I’m going to be honest, I don’t see the big deal. A record company isn’t going to fire a black artist who says the n-word on probably all their records. But food network fires someone who admits to saying it in the past? And, let’s be honest, in a pretty stressful situation. Are we excused for what we say under duress? No. But can we come to an understanding on why it was said? I think we can. This PC crap is pointless. If it’s wrong for one it should be wrong for all, and until it is then I’m not going to judge anyone (white, black, mexican, chinese, whoever) for saying it. Say it all you want.

Ignoranceisbliss

Posted at 8:21 PM on June 22, 2013

You ‘re an idiot and a racist!!!

Mk

Posted at 7:18 AM on June 23, 2013

ignoranceisbliss, you sure are spouting off a bunch of name calling. Is your vocabulary so limited that you cannot explain why you call people such names? Is everyone that does not think the same as you an idiot? Maybe YOU are blissfully ignorant.

zyggie

Posted at 5:11 PM on June 22, 2013

I think she may think that her fans will save her. To you that word or Any other negative term to Any race is sick and shows your insecurities. Paula knew she was saying just as she knew what she wanted when the slave wedding idea came up.Sometimes it is a shock to see what people really are. I think the food network did the right thing.If she got away with saying that what else would she or someone else try?

Denise

Posted at 4:28 PM on June 22, 2013

Maybe it is time for her to retire and do some charity work, for the under privileged.
some people that look exactly those she would use that word for.
Good luck Paula.

Don't put your hands on me!

Posted at 4:23 PM on June 22, 2013

I don’t like the fact that she used that word,but if a guy runs in my face with a gun. There are some choice words I’d call him.
I’m sure she was brought up using that word, she is from the south.
It doesn’t make it right, but she should be given a chance to address her actions.
Give her a chance to make amends and if she’s truly sorry. Forgive her.
It’s what Jesus would do.

Oracle5

Posted at 5:28 PM on June 22, 2013

Paula, I accept your apology! I am regretful that people would want to fire you for something that happened years ago, due to the fact that this was an idea of yours to have a wedding servers at party as you described, which did not occur. Always be careful of how you confine in SO-CALLED friends who will always want to take your place: What a backstabber move to do to someone as sweet and nice as you are – We want you back on FOOD NETWORK.

peggi

Posted at 5:48 PM on June 22, 2013

Paula be proud to leave food net work there a whole lot of people backing you hang in there you have lots of people who love you we all make mistakes sounds like there is a lot of enving your sucsess!

Ignoranceisbliss

Posted at 8:23 PM on June 22, 2013

I don’t accept her apology. She’s racist and so are you!!!