Paula Deen Gets Fired: Ricky Gervais & More Stars React On Twitter

Sat, June 22, 2013 12:38pm EST by 68 Comments
Paula Deen Fired
SplashNews

stephanie

Posted at 11:11 PM on June 23, 2013

And when is it ok for a black person to say “you people” or let alone point a finger when their own race spouts off the term so loosely and freely????? Maybe a mental makeover is in need for some morally eluded celebs who can so blatantly post stupid remarks and think that it is acceptable…maybe “you people” need to get your heads out of your butts and your wallets and start looking in the mirror a bit prior to pointing a finger let alone saying “you people” just cause “you people” slap an A at the end doesn’t make it any less wrong, disrespectful or racist. “You people” make yourselves look like friggin fools but if someone tells a joke using the term and theyre white all hell breaks loose. Don’t you have a relationship to go fix or something?

Twilight08

Posted at 10:13 PM on June 23, 2013

Donna what are you talking about Kanye West and Taylor Swift have nothing whatsoever to do with Paula Deen’s situation. He never ever called her a name out of her given name. Unless you’re saying a black man doesn’t have a right to express his feelings that his best friend should have received the award. Kanye West was absolutely wrong in his interruption of Taylor (sadly drinking during the show had a hand in his bravely to do so). And Beyonne made it right when she was up for an award. Race wasn’t at play here it was who he thought was more talented. Secondly, Food Network did the right thing by letting hergo. They represent many people, nations and cultures. They can not and will not represent someone who expressed any racist statements past or present. You’re done, you can’t be trusted behind closed doors or opened. Company honor the lost of clients. The good of the many outweights the good of the one. Paula is only 60 years of age she knew exactly what she was saying, to whom and why. She heard it as child, young adult, etc, but in that time, knowing what she knew for as long as she knew there’s no excuses. That wide eyed look is not real for her I am sorry look. She said they are ALL “N” That includes Oprah, the black postman, the cop , fireman, that soldier fighting then and now to protect our country, our values, the American way of life throughout the many wars blacks have died for the U S A , they help build America, and were FREE labor in the South for generations. Never to really receive the respect and honor afforded any other cultures. why? Donna what are you defending? She is done. Along with Michael Richards. Walk a mile In another’s shoes Donna, then speak.

m adams

Posted at 7:32 PM on June 23, 2013

Patty Stanger is a SLUT! And this Political Correctness is a pile of CRAP! And guess who Paula Dean supported for Prexy? Barry O {The WORST one since Carter}

Bellbandmom

Posted at 5:40 PM on June 23, 2013

Patty Stanger has a lot of nerve speaking out with some of the slurs she delivers on her show and the hurtful things she says to people. She stereo-types and makes politically incorrect statements constantly on her show. I stopped watching her because she is disgusting. I am not supporting what Paula did but the woman has apologized and I agree with the person who commented asking why it is OK for black comedians to go on air and make racial comments about white people or even broadcasters and nothing is said about it. And why hasn’t someone shut that trashy Kathy Griffin up with the awful things that come out of her mouth!

Rozi

Posted at 1:39 PM on June 23, 2013

People have always adapt to their environments and when that happens their true character shines through. In the beginnings they are being cautious because all is very new and others are watching.

Donna

Posted at 9:31 AM on June 23, 2013

This what I think. I’ve watched Paula Deen for years and she has Oprah at her house and I truly believe she is not racist. What’s the diffrence when Cat Williams Eddie Murphy andanteore get on stage and use the N word. It was taken way out of context. Come on people it’s 2013 Blacks call white people mames and even go to the extreme if interrupting Taylor swift on an award show to say a black singer deserved the award more. Lets not get everyone in a up roar over this. Food network u suck for dropping Paula. You all know she would never hurt anyone. She is a wonderful woman who knows how to treat everyone with respect. I love you Paula.

Kim

Posted at 2:38 PM on June 23, 2013

Yeah, Paula would never hurt anyone. Bigots always say that about other bigots. Got rope?

Charlene

Posted at 2:40 AM on June 23, 2013

Frankly, I cook better than Paula Deen and known for my Cakes and dishes, Food Network give me a show!

Cynthia Beattie

Posted at 3:03 AM on June 23, 2013

what Maya explained I am alarmed that a single mom can get paid ($)9110 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you seen this site… can99.ℂ­om

RealDeal

Posted at 12:45 AM on June 23, 2013

I was taught to forgive so I forgive her..but I also learned you reap what you sow..I hve never called a Caucasian person a honkey or wet dog or trailor trash It’s just so mean and hateful. I believe yes it is a learned behavior tht she grew up around but she is 60 something yrs old and there’s no excuses for tht type of behavior the bible speaks about the blue eyed devil. To the people who ask why white ppl can’t say tht word I feel like thts the dumbest question anyone cld ever ask I hear white ppl call each other cunt and trailor trash not once has it ever crossed my mind to ask them why can’t I call them tht bc It’s common sense . It’s 2013 y in the world are we still having conversations about race. Get over ppl we are here 2 stay!

Matt

Posted at 2:53 AM on June 23, 2013

The bible says nothing about a blue eyed devil. That is Elijah Mohammed and Malcolm X

Rozi

Posted at 9:51 PM on June 22, 2013

Yes it’s ok for me to say it . And do for u

Robin

Posted at 9:42 PM on June 22, 2013

Give it a rest….it is perfectly acceptable if a colored person says the N word….why is it bothersome when a white person says it???? The white race is expected to find it acceptable when we are called “bro” or “homeboy” when maybe we are offended but that’s not allowed…..Paula Deen was fired from her job….Michael Vick granted served his time but was welcomed back with open arms. Fairness????

leslie beggs

Posted at 12:39 AM on June 23, 2013

that was such an incoherant argument. Basics people…

m adams

Posted at 7:22 PM on June 23, 2013

Michael Vick is Dirty Ignorant Trash & Should ROT in Hell for what he did to those poor innocent Pit Bulls!

RealDeal

Posted at 10:06 PM on June 23, 2013

You know what kills me…white people think they so high and mighty that they can walk around and tell people anything they want. Every race in this world other than whites have one thing in common and that’s their issue with white people there’s not a race on this earth that doesn’t have a horror story about white people that’s just sad. I don’t believe one white person who uses a racial slur to describe someone isn’t racist Paula Deen saying the “N” only proved what’s in her heart and that’s the story for many white people. Know a days you have to pray for a sincere and true white friend. Thank God I was blessed with the best white friends hate that I have to categorize them in this way but we have had this discussion many times before. I can truely say in my life that I have never been so cruel enough to call a white person cracker,honkey,cunt,wet dog, or trailer trash It’s just not rght!

Twilight08

Posted at 10:37 PM on June 23, 2013

We now know the deal with you m adams. Michael Vicks served his time for the error of his ways of harming innocent animals. AGAIN, he served his time. You have much feelings for dogs, do you also have that same conviction for INNOCENT boys like Trevon Martin boys killed never to see manhood, marriage, and to raise their own families. Because of the color of their skin. You talk about innocent pitbulls which have had the justice of someone serving time for the injustice they suffered. Yet no justice for an INNOCENT teenager. No time has been served for a human being but a dog has received his. m adams I am unsure what Vicks situation has to to with Paula Deen?

Karrie

Posted at 9:06 PM on June 22, 2013

Just Pay the Money and Move Forward. I understand you’re upset. Upset because you have gotten caught, This wasn’t an accident. Things have changed Yes white people can dance.They can truly feel the beat…. .

Vik

Posted at 8:56 PM on June 22, 2013

shame on Food Network — easy enough for me to NOT watch your channel in the future. If ANYONE has read Mark Twain aloud; if ANYONE has read “To Kill a Mockingbird” aloud; if ANYONE has sung/repeated myriad hip-hop lyrics…etc etc……..YOU, too, have said the scaaarrrry “n” word ……. I will order Deen’s magazine, not because she is butter-over-the top but because I truly believe that in her honesty under oath she is a scapegoat for network (national??) hypocrisy.

Roz

Posted at 9:16 PM on June 22, 2013

Why u don’t like the other cooks on food network

"Imgood"

Posted at 8:41 PM on June 22, 2013

The white man started that word anyway it wasn’t wrong 50 yrs ago when they were saying it.now a little gray headed woman name Paula Deen say it,it’s the end of the world come on it’s all about the money……………………………………….

Rozi

Posted at 9:49 PM on June 22, 2013

Heathen like u always calling some body something and that’s why God allows u something and let’s your demands from satan bring u down to show all what is really in your heart ,on your tongue and your minds.

g. jackson

Posted at 8:03 PM on June 22, 2013

Shame on the food channel……These comments were made years ago before we turned to political correctness. Our society has regressed over the past fifty years, we now except random killings, but god forbid we us a racist word. Think about it ; what and whom have cause these problems.

Texas Proud

Posted at 7:47 PM on June 22, 2013

Let’s do depositions on some others and see what shows up..The n word is very wrong but what do blacks say everyday to anybody? Oh,yeah,that would be Nigga….now tell me the damn difference…They aren’t held responsible for what they call caucasians or what they call mexicans…Everyone should be held accountable for name calling if only a few are then it’s discrimation against only a few..

scarlett

Posted at 10:45 PM on June 22, 2013

I’m sure everyone in a “celebrity” position like Paula Deen would and have been held accountable, regardless of color. The ones that haven’t simply have not gotten caught. Bottom line is, a racist remark that was built on extreme hatred and fear of black people should never be exceptable, no matter who uses it.

Random Commentator

Posted at 7:30 PM on June 22, 2013

Ok, yes she said the N word, but I feel like she is being targeted way too much. I have nothing against people of a different race than my own, but when a black person says the N word, no one cares. Why is it so much worse when a white person says it? I know it isn’t right to even say that word at all, but when black people say it all the time, how can it be that bad when a white person says it?

scarlett

Posted at 10:57 PM on June 22, 2013

You and others who keep making this ridiculous remark have answered your own question. You are white. It will never be ok or acceptable for you to say it, since it usually is said by you in a very different context than when black males (who are the target of this “mystery”) use it as a term of comraderie/kinship. You are not able to relate to that and will never be. It seems to me that the people that still can’t comprehend this are simply looking for an excuse to use a word freely that they really wan’t to use in that extremist negative way without any consequences.

Twilight08

Posted at 11:28 PM on June 23, 2013

Scarlett the word was originated in the white culture in order to degrade, to shame, to keep a people insecure in themselves and their abilities. For some, they believed the lies it emoded within. But for the many, Wet are here. We are productive, We are strong, anything we strive at We excel in and take ownership in Therefore, when the young use it today they are telling their older cultural leaders the word has NO hold on them, it doesn’t hurt them it means nothing, no insecure feelings whatsoever. However, whites who want to know why they can’t use it must remember you are the ones who created the word to do harm. Your white culture your history have even KILLED men women and children in the use of this word, your white culture your history have raped, enslaved a people for FREE labor, your white culture your history has tortured tarred and feathered, blownup churches in the usage of this word. And YOU want to know why YOU can’t use it? YOU already Have White America. You even came up with other names to degrade other cultures and keep them in their place. Blacks were not Indentured servants (able to buy their freedom) only slaves with no hope. Paula knew the history BETTER than most. It was her family’s way of life. She felt she was entitled to maintain that mindset. SURPRISE PAULA ….NOT!!,

stephanie

Posted at 11:31 PM on June 23, 2013

I find it amazing you think that all white people are looking for a reason to use the term in an offensive or derogatory manor…to be truthfully honest as a white person I get the whole kinship from one black person to another.but tell me how my best friend who is Haitian gives her white friends permission to call her that term as long as it has an A at the end and that’s acceptable? As she stated just like you, she told me its a kinship thing and she knows me well enough to know its not derogatory. How is that acceptable? I could never out of respect for any black person use the term even with an A attached to the end, and out of respect for myself.but you say its ok for black people to use the term for kinship yet a good portion of black people I know have white friends who use the term in kinship too. Must be a Detroit and Boston thing then huh?! Get over yourself and realize not all white people WANT to use it negatively or do

HI

Posted at 7:29 PM on June 22, 2013

But I thought she said that word ages ago don’t ask me when but I think she has and how would food network find out about it maybe it was ages ago maybe last week. I don`t think she is rasist but I think she didn’t mean the word but let it slip like once I got in a sit were I said s****** in the chiva instead of sitting in the chiva. Don’t ask me why my mom likes strange things. So maybe she meant it maybe she didn’t if she meant it food network is right to let her go but do keep in mind she is fairly old at the time she was a kid blacks were called that and trust me my school did three terms of the school year learning about Dr. Martin Luther king Jr and learned half his speech. I am not saying any thing is wrong with his speech or learning that much but it would have been nice not to spend so much time of school learning all about it when at that time we already know about it. It was still wasn’t right if her to say that but not enough to take away her shows. Not to mention she is from Georgia which used to be one the most racial states in the USA. So that is all I have to say about that good night Denver!

dela

Posted at 7:24 PM on June 22, 2013

I do not condone what she said but you have to be fair. Many comedians, song writers , actors and political people have used racial slurs. Even the View co-host Ms.Baher does it all the time about the Nazzis and German people. Thats ok, she even got rewarded with her own show by the network. She even called Bush a dope on TV. That’s not right. I won’t watch that show. Woopy Goldberg has also been racially vocal on many occasions. Not a day goes by without a Nazzi movie on the air. I find that offensive. The word she used is in the dictionary. I guess burning dictionaries is next. Burning books has happened in the past. Does history repeat itself one more time. It’s time for forgiveness. Who among you will cast the first stone. She appologized enough already. The entertainment world had better clean up their act before they tie her to the pillary post. Gone are the days of Salem witch hunts. The person suing her is not doing it for an ideal but for MONEY…..MONEY nothing else.

CRRaysHead90

Posted at 7:09 PM on June 22, 2013

The keyword is “in this day and age” she made those comments 30 years ago when they were more acceptable and she apologized. Just more of Hollywood being the pot calling the kettle black.

zyggie

Posted at 5:19 PM on June 22, 2013

raceism comes in all forms even a little grey headed “Hi yall” women who is a great cook. The food network did the correct thing. If she gets away with using that term then what’s next? Why would she want to do a slave weddng for one of her relatives? Slavery was no joke, if the tables were turned then there would be an uproar. What other race would come under attack? It is not ok to call any race out of their names.

88fan

Posted at 3:53 PM on June 22, 2013

Let those without sin cast the first stone. Funny some get by making racist statements regularly including the President of the United States, others get the shaft. What hypocritical times we live in!

Frank M

Posted at 6:30 PM on June 22, 2013

You make your living from the public—you’d better have some self control and enough sense to muzzle your thoughts, no matter what your brain is saying. It proves what most Savannahians have known for years—you can dress that woman up in a formal dress and diamonds, but she’ll still walk out as a redneck.
Live by the media, and die by the media. She enjoyed pulling the wool over people’s eyes, and now she’s seeking forgiveness. Phony is as phony does. What a fraud —and don’t get me started about that Bozo husband of hers—pervert.

Roonee B (@Roonee_B)

Posted at 8:11 PM on June 22, 2013

Amen, 88fan…….Let’s all stone her to death, would hate to be standing in those shoes on judgement day !

e.t.

Posted at 3:20 PM on June 22, 2013

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me–and there was no one left to speak for me.

Nobody Special

Posted at 3:50 PM on June 22, 2013

@ e.t. I agree.
I also agree what “imgood” had to say.
Brava :)

m adams

Posted at 7:34 PM on June 23, 2013

Cigarette Smokers are the new scapegoats for the fascist politicians, & the health nazis!

Carolyn Levesque

Posted at 3:13 PM on June 22, 2013

During that era no one felt they were being recist. It is sad to think that it was alright during that era.
so sorry I’m sure she meant no disrespect.

Susan

Posted at 2:41 PM on June 22, 2013

Wow. No one stuck up for her? Not one perfect Hollywood star (the people most devoid of ethics besides their best friends, politicians)? Immensely disturbing.

Gman

Posted at 1:55 PM on June 24, 2013

Bill Maher did

"Imgood"

Posted at 2:40 PM on June 22, 2013

Leave Paula alone she did no wrong in my eye sight,blacks call each other n- word all the time and kill each other so leave the past in the past and get over that word.and I am african American.

marissa

Posted at 2:59 PM on June 22, 2013

Doesn’t mean you speak for all of Black America. This should have never been said in public..she is still entitled to her opinions but racist ones should remain private.

shoesandshrimp

Posted at 3:01 PM on June 22, 2013

I hate to hear people say that blacks call each other the N-word all of the time. I am black and I have never called another black person that word. If the word is not such a big deal, she would still have a job. Her ignorance and excuses solidified her position in the unemployment line.

david wheeler

Posted at 3:08 PM on June 22, 2013

racist and closed minded you are

Malinda

Posted at 10:40 PM on June 23, 2013

Bahahahahahaha!!! @shoesandshrimp, she will NEVER see the unemployment line, unlike you or I. Do you not realize that she not only had this show, she has her own magazine, her own cookware line, restaurants, and more. She’s a freakin Multimillionaire. She doesn’t need the stupid Food Network to be successful. Oh, and I happen to adore her. At least when under oath, she didn’t purger herself, she honestly admitted to using the dreaded, fearful, N-word. I commend her for her honesty and wish like hell she woulda LIED instead.

Gman

Posted at 2:04 PM on June 24, 2013

WTF is the matter with people on this thread? A white gal admitted that at some point in time, and no one has been specific other than to say it has been a very long time ago, growing up in the south prior to the civil rights movement, said the N word. Trying to figure out how the people who speak like she said it yesterday came to that conclusion? Or how some of you have come to the conclusion once a bigot always a bigot? I guess then that I could say once a closed minded ignoramus always a closed minded ignoramus, but I won’t as I, like you, have absolutely no way of knowing that.

graciousforlife

Posted at 3:04 PM on June 22, 2013

Yeah and I am white.

Head case

Posted at 3:11 PM on June 22, 2013

Your an idio!,,,, and I hope you have the good sense not to breed..

Ms.Butterfly

Posted at 3:13 PM on June 22, 2013

You’re DUMB!

Ms.Butterfly

Posted at 3:20 PM on June 22, 2013

@ “Imgood “….. you’re DUMB, go drink bleach!

"Imgood"

Posted at 6:15 PM on June 22, 2013

You drink first Ms.Butterfly…………