Paula Deen Apologizes For Racist Behavior — Watch

Fri, June 21, 2013 5:00pm EDT by 31 Comments
YouTube

Paula released a video, begging fans to forgive her racist actions — but that didn’t stop the Food Network from giving her the boot!

Paula Deen wants to set the record straight. The southern TV chef tweeted to her over one million Twitter followers on June 21 that she was releasing a video statement. The video was posted to YouTube and she is seen profusely apologizing.

Paula Deen Releases Statement About Using Racial Slur

In a 45-second clip she appears emotional as she says that she does not condone racism.

“I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done,” Paula says. “I want to learn and grow from this … Inappropriate, hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable.”

Paula, who owns two restaurants in Savannah, Ga., is being sued by a former employee who claims racial and sexual harassment. But Paula’s attorney says: “Contrary to media reports, Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

But during Paula’s deposition, she admitted to using the “N word.” When asked if she had ever used racist language like that word she responded: “Yes, of course.”

The Food Network didn’t sound very amused after her admission and they released this statement: “Food Network does not tolerate any form of discrimination and is a strong proponent of diversity and inclusion.”

Paula Deen Fired By Food Network

Though some fans might forgive Paula for her behavior, her bosses at the Food Network aren’t quite as forgiving. TMZ reports the network has opted not to renew the TV chef’s contract, which expires at the end of June.

WATCH: Paula Deen Issues A Statement About Using Racial Slurs

– Chloe Melas

More Paula Deen News:

1. ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Casting Scoop: Producers Want Paula Deen
  2. Paula Deen’s Peppermint Chocolate Coffee Will Warm You Up This Holiday Season!
  3. Paula Deen Shares Her Recipe For Hot Cranberry Cider! Yum!

Rufus

Posted at 10:13 AM on June 25, 2013

Under oath she admitted to using a racial slur 30 years ago. Almost anyone under oath would not be able to truthfully say they have never done this. Everyone condemning her has probably used a racial slur at some point in their life, maybe even sooner than 30 years ago. What she really needs to be on trial for is cooking with all that butter.

tim

Posted at 8:49 PM on June 26, 2013

yes even those fools that fired her even if you followed a rap song with the so called n word u are guilty. does someone own that word just like the word so gay a gay man can use it but not a straight man a black man can use it but be white and u are a racist this kind of stupidity keeps a racial war on going thanks to men like Jessie Jackson and so called rev would it be so nice just to be our brothers keeper

bokiluis

Posted at 11:41 PM on June 26, 2013

You are missing the semantic difference. But it is your choice not to take the time not to. Unfortunately, if you don’t take the time, then incidents like this are bound to happen.

Kay

Posted at 6:14 AM on June 28, 2013

you are not lying about that. I agree. as far as butter……..yeah she did use a lot of butter.:)

Kay

Posted at 6:18 AM on June 28, 2013

I was responding to rufus to make sure there are no misunderstandings

Frances Wolford

Posted at 11:33 AM on June 23, 2013

I’m so sorry for all the blind sided people in this world .I have watched your program for many years.The people behind this do not know what damage they have done by taking you off the Foodnetwork station.,Those kind of people make a mountain out of a molehill. The people that are on your side ,we are going to try our best to right this wrong. Love ya Paula Deen.

Perry Trosclair

Posted at 6:48 PM on June 22, 2013

Some of these comments reveal the hypocrisy rampant in “certain” black circles. Is it REALLY okay for a person of color to use the ‘N’ word while it’s criminal offense for anyone else who isn’t? If using the ‘N’ word is unacceptable (as I believe most people would agree), why should society have to tolerate hearing it from ANYONE (especially those who call one another that vulgar sounding word)? If Paula Dean is guilty so are many hypocrites who want to have Paula Deen’s cake and eat it too!

bokiluis

Posted at 9:33 PM on June 21, 2013

And to the slut that called me nigga, I guess your mother forgot to tell you who you father really is slut.

Elpida

Posted at 8:51 AM on June 26, 2013

Please, please get some education!

bokiluis

Posted at 7:44 PM on June 21, 2013

She defiantly said “of course” she used those hurtful words more than once as if it was part of her social vernacular. That said, I finally watched an episode of her “Barefoot Contessa” cooking series and it totally reinforces the constant statistic that southerners are the fattest people in our country. On grilled chicken, she spread a big glob of basil butter mayonnaise. I felt full just watching her.

Cissy

Posted at 8:02 PM on June 21, 2013

@ bokiluis, you are totally clueless. Barefoot Contessa and Paula Dean are two different women.

Nigga is only allowed when it is a nigga calling it a nigga. Fools.

Posted at 8:07 PM on June 21, 2013

@Cissy, Oooo, you beat me to the punch. How stupid can these idiots be?

bokiluis is a moron.

Posted at 8:09 PM on June 21, 2013

@Cissy, Must be a nigga looking up the information, they can’t tell one white woman from another.

bokiluis

Posted at 11:32 PM on June 21, 2013

I am going to take the high road and apologize for my tasteless comments. I had never really watched The Food Network before (I will now). But Comcast my cable provider, incorrectly listed “The Barefoot Contessa” in the on air directory, when it was actually Paula Deen. Though you called me clueless, I can view that as somewhat true, if harsh, but, it was actually an honest error.

naturegirl

Posted at 7:32 PM on June 21, 2013

The word should be believe not like.. Leave it to Bonnie Stupid

Guest

Posted at 7:20 PM on June 21, 2013

During deposition she says, “yes, of course”. “…of course”??? Must be a southerner thing.

Nigga is only allowed when it is a nigga calling it a nigga. Fools.

Posted at 7:31 PM on June 21, 2013

@Guest, She only said, “…yes, of course…” because niggas and whites call niggas the word.

Black Jesuscom

Posted at 7:17 PM on June 21, 2013

The hypocrisy of Paula Deen is that
she has built a career and family business
off of recipes who’s foundation is
in southern Black cooking.

For those who question this, research.
who did all of the cooking for the slave
masters for over 300 years. Because she’s
white, she Is embraced and given a platform
and a opportunity of make money off
of a heritage of cooking from the very people
she uses the N word to describe.

If Paula were Black her recipes would be
be called soul food instead of Southern Cuisine
and she would be living in obscurity trying
to make ends meet.

Nigga is only allowed when it is a nigga calling it a nigga. Fools.

Posted at 7:30 PM on June 21, 2013

@Black Jesuscom, But, it is Ok for the dead Lil Snupe’s manager to call him, “nigga”? Get a grip and stop saying that is a white man’s problem. The niggas sold there own out to bus them here from Africa, the niggas still call each other nigga and still the nigga cries foul when treated like a nigga.

yvonne jimenez

Posted at 6:53 PM on June 21, 2013

PAULA YOU DO NOT NEED TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS …PEOPLE WHO LOVE YOU WILL ALWAYS BE BY YOUR SIDE , YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH , I WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR # 1 FAN I LOVE YOU PAULA.

gerry

Posted at 9:59 AM on June 27, 2013

Geez Yvonne! Turn down the volume!! YES she does have the right to free speech, BUT as a public figure she should show more common sense!!!

we

Posted at 6:51 PM on June 21, 2013

Too late now…the dog is out of the bag

zyggie

Posted at 4:38 PM on June 21, 2013

Wonder how this will affect the racial and sexual trial she has going on. Makes you stop and think that maybe there was discrimination going on with her employees. With Deen’s remarks now it’s like she is putting her foot in her own mouth.

zyggie

Posted at 4:36 PM on June 21, 2013

I think the only reason she is back peddling is the backlash she is getting from the Networks who sponsor her and she realize all the monies she might loose from a statement like that. Raceism is alive and well. I am however sort of surprised by her remarks and the fact that she entertained doing a wedding with a slave theme. I hope what I read about the slave wedding was a mistake but, if not karma is something else. I am viewing Mrs. Deen in a differnt light.

Tonya

Posted at 3:48 PM on June 21, 2013

I’m a black woman and I’m coming to grips of the comments, but I think she was sincere. She deserves a chance to learn from her mistake. I hope her heart really mean it. May she find peace and forgiveness.

m adams

Posted at 3:21 PM on June 21, 2013

Good Grief! This Country Has Become “So Politically Correct” Is Totally NAUSEATING!

Fora Virtualcity

Posted at 3:40 PM on June 21, 2013

it’s hilarious to learn how many closet racists still exist.

yvonne jimenez

Posted at 6:03 PM on June 21, 2013

M adams I AGREE WITH YOU ,SO WHAT LIKE THEY DON;T SAY WHITE COMMENTS ,BUT GOD FORBID THEY SAY SOMETHING ABOUT B , PEOPLE THEY SUE … GET OVER IT FREE SPEECH . MOVE ON.

STARS FRIEND

Posted at 6:22 PM on June 21, 2013

I won’t EVER watch food network again. She is sorry. Tell me no one has EVER made a mistake. PLEASE! She admitted it. She’s taken her blows. F*CK FOOD NETWORK! They should get rid of the phonies like Giada, and RACHAEL SCUM! That Rachael b*tch and her ugly mouth. She has more stupid expressions. Giada and her PHONIE F*CKIN ACCANT! My granparents lived there 60 years. THEY TALK NORMAL! WON’T BE WATCHING ANYMORE! Not for nothing, but if you’re black, you’re black. Roll with it. This world will never be perfect. I’m white/Italian. I’m a ginny, a honky, ect…..GROW UP! GET OVER IT! There will ALWAYS be predudice. We can HOPE not, but there always will be. FACE IT. GROW UP! MOVE ON!

yvonne jimenez

Posted at 6:47 PM on June 21, 2013

so true thank you.

Mk

Posted at 7:08 AM on June 22, 2013

Giada does not have an accent (if that is what you meant).