Miley Cyrus: ‘We Can’t Stop’ Video Celebrates Female Sexual Liberation

Wed, June 19, 2013 4:19pm EDT by 15 Comments
Miley Cyrus Feminist
Courtesy Of Youtube/Disney

Charles Duncom

Posted at 12:00 PM on September 2, 2013

OK, I will admit I am not one of her audience; but let me ask those who are, this question: Will you be listening to her music in 40 years? Will your kids be listening to her? Does the music itself have the power and chops (ability) to survive when so many pop songs just disappear, only to be resurrected by Time-Life records as a late night sales items. I don’t know. All I can say is her VMA performance was rather strange; like a Fellini movie if he had taken a bad drug trip. So many really offensive cultural references to women and African Americans. But then the male hip hop artist that followed her was just as bad in that department. It just returns me back to Billie Holliday, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and Bonnie Raitt. The music and performance were all they needed. No twerking; thank goodness.

KurdishGirlYasmin

Posted at 7:34 AM on June 22, 2013

Her album will be awesome, okay this was too much but it was just to play and discover new things, maybe the we can’t stop music video is bad but the song still slays the charts so it is something:S :)

KurdishGirlYasmin

Posted at 7:32 AM on June 22, 2013

Leave Miley alone, this was just to get attention for her album, the coming songs are awesome believe me guys

Maddison

Posted at 10:58 AM on June 21, 2013

Rihanna wannabe.

YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE

Posted at 7:59 PM on June 20, 2013

HAHAHA… I feel like these writers were paid to say all this or just feel really bad for her at how awful the video and her “transformation” have been (or just don’t have eyes or common sense) because “celebrating sexual freedom” as a theme for that video never crossed my mind. You know what I did see her “celebrating”? Being high most definitely (and it’s completely possible so don’t even deny it) because when I watched that it made me think the song was written high, the video was directed high, SHE was high in it (and while singing the song too for that matter), and only someone high could understand the video…

so no. I don’t think she was “celebrating” anything or whatever you want to conjure up to try to make it look “sophisticated” and “cause-worthy”. I think she just wanted to make this video so she did. Who knows really.

Guest

Posted at 5:54 PM on June 20, 2013

As a young independent woman who freely expresses her sexuality, I’m hoping that this is all sarcasm…

Pickley

Posted at 2:25 PM on June 21, 2013

You took the words right out of my mouth. Liberated = Money for this girl.

Co

Posted at 5:51 AM on June 20, 2013

WTF does she know about sexual freedom?

AEM

Posted at 7:38 PM on June 19, 2013

Why is Miley always blamed for being a bad role model? How come I never hear Rihanna, Lady Gaga, or piss-drinking Kesha being a bad role model. As with almost 50% of the US population, people COMPARE Miley 2.0 to Miley 1.0 (Disney girl). If there was never any Hannah M., no one would be criticizing Miley 2.0. Miley 2.0 would be another musician with some raunchy video. And I guarentee, no one would be complaining that Miley 2.0 was a bad role model!

YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE

Posted at 8:03 PM on June 20, 2013

…because she has younger fans and she knows that. either way, they all are really and they all are criticized for the most part just like her. she just is more because she does/did have those young fans. she DID take on the role of Hannah Montana and knew what she was getting into so that’s that.

SeeMeNow

Posted at 7:13 PM on June 21, 2013

Most of them weren’t child stars who had tons of 9-13 year olds in their fan bases.

guest

Posted at 6:18 PM on June 19, 2013

I can’t decide whether your being serious or sarcastic.

Athena

Posted at 4:45 PM on June 19, 2013

LOVE her!! I am so proud!!! She is growing up and helps me to grow up to who I really want to be. Only god can judge me! Thank you Miley :)

Kristen

Posted at 4:36 PM on June 19, 2013

She is amazing! Only close minded or jealous/haters are going to dislike it and not understand what she is trying to say. Miley IS a great role model!

guest23

Posted at 5:33 PM on June 19, 2013

did you not hear, parents voted miley as the worst female role model so are you saying those people are jealous/haters.

as for the video,it is tacky and tasteless. you can be sexy without posing provocatively, she is almost 21 and should start acting like an adult