Spoiler alert: Stop reading if you haven’t seen the fourth season premiere of ‘Pretty Little Liars!’
When executive producer Marlene King promised this would be a “season of answers,” she wasn’t kidding! The June 11 premiere of Pretty Little Liars cleared up nearly every lingering “A”-related question on my list — while simultaneously adding about a dozen more.
What’s In The Trunk?
Let’s start with the first, and most pressing, answer: Despite a million good guesses on Twitter, the contents of the trunk ended up being… a pig! Yes, just a dead pig. The real surprise was saved for the next day when the girls stumbled upon Wilden’s (Bryce Johnson) dead body. I guess he‘s the victim Lucy Hale warned us about!
Mona (Janel Parrish) also dropped some knowledge on the girls, clearing up questions we’ve had since season one. Here’s a pretty little round-up:
1. Mona didn’t pull Wilden’s car out of the lake. She put it in Hanna’s (Ashley Benson) garage, and that’s the last time she saw it.
2. Shana (Aeriél Miranda) knew Jenna (Tammin Sursok) before she came to Rosewood. Oh, and she’s in love with her. And they’re both afraid of Melissa (Torrey DeVitto.)
3. Lucas (Brendan Robinson) gave Emily (Shay Mitchell) the massage.
4. Mona recruited Toby (Keegan Allen) to the “A” team when he got his job in Buck’s County.
5. Mona has no idea who pushed Ian (Ryan Merriman) off the bell tower.
6. Wilden and Melissa were both the Queen(s) of Hearts.
Ezra Behind Bars
If you were hoping Aria and Ezra’s (Ian Harding) relationship would make a dramatic recovery on the premiere, you were probably pretty disappointed with this episode. In fact, not only did the fan-favorite couple not get back together, but a super-paranoid Aria actually day dreamed that Ezra got arrested for having statutory sexy times with her!
(But seriously, who doesn’t dream about Ezra in handcuffs?)
Toby & Alison’s Awkward Flashback
While ‘Ezria’ remained completely off the rocks this week, two other couples thankfully spent the hour still going strong. Emily and Paige (Lindsey Shaw) made plans to go to Stanford together — their spin-off, Pretty Little Lesbians, will be based in California — and Toby and Spencer (Troian Bellisario) bonded over breakfast.
Toby’s little flashback about Alison (Sasha Pieterse) aside — they almost made out once, but his drunk-ass mom totally came between them — it was nice to see some of my favorite Rosewood couples actually getting along… for now.
No ‘Fun’ In This Funeral
Things really got tense when the girls attended Wilden’s funeral. Not only were they all wearing super-inappropriate funeral attire — Hanna can’t resist a good sheer dress — but they also played a quick game of ‘rob the casket.’ They found Hanna’s mom’s cell phone in Wilden’s coffin, leading them to believe that “A” was setting Ashley (Laura Leighton) up to take the fall for Wilden’s murder.
And all the while, a mysterious funeral attendee — Marlene calls her the “Lady in Black” — watched the girls from the back pew. Who could she be?
HollywoodLifers, what did you think of the fourth season premiere? Were you surprised by the contents of the trunk? Is Alison’s mom up to no good? And who’s the ‘Lady In Black?’ Drop a comment with your reviews and theories!
— Andy Swift
More ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Season 4:
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Season 4 Scoop: Alison’s Fate Revealed & More
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Season 4 Pics: Who Puts Emily In The Hospital?
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Scoop: Lucy Hale Teases Season Premiere Death