Channing Tatum Will ‘Never’ Medicate His Child For Learning Disabilities

Tue, June 4, 2013 5:00pm EDT by 6 Comments
Channing Tatum Medicate Child
Courtesy Of Vanity Fair, FameFlynet

Amidst all the new movies he has coming out this year, Channing is now tackling his toughest role to date — fatherhood. He reveals in a new interview how he plans to parent his first child.

Channing Tatum, 33, and wife Jenna Dewan-Tatum, 32, are new parents to daughter Everly Tatum, born May 31 in London. Before his precious little one arrived, he opened up about his young struggles with a learning disability and how he’ll never medicate his child for one.

Channing’s Bouts With ‘Depression’ From Medication

While his wife Jenna bared her bump for Glamour, Channing opened up in an exclusive interview with Vanity Fair and revealed his struggles as a young boy with a learning disability and how he was put on medication to deal with the problem.

“I truly believe some people need medication,” he said. “I did not. I did better at school when I was on it, but it made me a zombie. You become obsessive.”

He also unveiled how the medication left him with periods of depression.

“The more you do, the less it works. For a time, it would work well. Then it worked less and my pain was more. I would go through wild bouts of depression, horrible comedowns.”

Everly Will Never Be Medicated Like Channing Was

Despite acknowledging that some children do need to be medicated for learning disabilities, it’s not something he wants for his daughter Everly. He doesn’t like the effect the medication had on him and wouldn’t want his kid to have the same experience he did.

“I understand why kids kill themselves. I absolutely do. You feel terrible. You feel soul-less. I’d never do it to my child,” he told the magazine.

Channing already seems like the perfect, protective dad. We’re sure he will do whatever is in the best interest of little Everly.

So HollyMoms, what did YOU think about Channing’s candid interview with Vanity Fair? Did YOU agree with what he said? Let us know in the comments below!

WATCH: 2013 Oscars: Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan-Tatum

– Avery Thompson

More Vanity Fair Interviews:

1. Jennifer Lawrence Tells ‘Vanity Fair’: Why I Relate To Katniss Everdeen
  2. Angelina Jolie Talks About Raising Her Six Children In ‘Vanity Fair.’
  3. Ricky Martin’s ‘Vanity Fair’ Interview: ‘I Would Give My Life’ To My Sons’ Mother

Eva

Posted at 5:44 PM on June 5, 2013

I totally support what he says about the medication. He or anyone else shouldn’t be taken the psych drugs that get prescribe today by the doctors. This is more a business than anything else. This drugs don’t cure anything. One thing I now for sure is that there is no such thing as learning disabilities or mental illness problems… these are “illnesses” that the same psychiatries invent to have more drugs created and obtain more money out of pacients. They are drugs, so they make their clients dependable of this drugs that they will have to take for their rest of their lifes. There has never been a physical exam to prove that these illnesses actually exist. Is all “theory” that they claim it is true, based on nothing. As Channing said they can become obssessive and make the person feel terrible and this is the reason why there are so many suicidal cases today, people who fall asleep while driving, people who’s life were happy, suddenly kill themselves, etc.This is what this “medications” – drugs, cause, nothing else.
Always look at the side effects of any medication, because this DO HAPPEN, they are not side effects, they are effects that will happen to the person. I never, ever will put a kid of mine or any of my family members, or any person, on any sort of psych drug, always look for the most natural, healthy way of curing illnesses, because none of the psych illnesses that the doctor claim saying that they exist, doesn’t exist. Look for the truth on cchr.org

Trish

Posted at 12:51 AM on June 8, 2013

You have no idea what you are talking about. Until you live with someone with a LD, go through the many varied tests and teach children with LD, OR you know get an actual Ed. Psych degree you have no right to claim these issues do not exist. I agree doctors over prescribe these medications and many children are placed on substances they don’t need but mental illness and learning disabilities are scientific fact.

educator

Posted at 12:42 PM on June 5, 2013

Too many doctors are prescribing psychotic drugs that have no adequate training. Unfortunately it has become more profitable to medicate than to cure.

Kelly& kiara twins sister

Posted at 3:50 AM on June 5, 2013

Nice to hear Tht from him my twins sister is the same thing as him.I wish him well

Trish

Posted at 12:49 AM on June 5, 2013

You have to look at the kid at each developmental stage. For one stage medication might work, at another it might not. My husband is a really successful business manager who also takes medication for his ADHD and OCD. At one point one type of medication did more harm then good, once he switched he was a new man. You can’t just make blanket statements for humans and their adaptive learning styles. Just my two cents as a wife and mother ;) He is still a talented actor and I wish him well with parenthood – it both rocks and is terrifying!

wst

Posted at 6:51 PM on June 4, 2013

He’s saying that now, okay maybe the non-medication part but there is nothing wrong with sending a child to a special ed school.